The Kevin McHale Cup 18-19

Remove this Banner Ad

I may be interesting in joining. Can someone explain how the draft and scoring works in this one and trades/waivers 🤔
Sure it can seem a little complicated at 1st but once you get your head around it it's pretty simple and fun, so def ask whatever u dont understand.

As far as how the league works, we all have $50,000,000 salary cap to start the season, you'd likely inherit a team with some contracts on it already although that will depend on if everyone returns i think, any players on team contracts, their salary is set and are locked in as keepers for the year at the price which is on the front page. Players on development contracts, their contracts increase by 25% each year and you have the choice to either honour their contract and keep them at their price or decline their option in which case they go into to the draft pool. Then you can nominate a single sleeper contract who will cost 1.6 mil to keep for the upcoming season, you pick your sleeper from the previous years roster which is any player who was on a contract of $1.6 mil or less or any free agent that the team picked up during the season from free agency/waivers. Lastly everyone nominates 1 player that you offer a qualifying offer to which is any of the players not awarded one of the previous contracts. That player essentially becomes a restricted free agent for you.

Once everyone has said which contracts they'll honour and which they'll give to which player, all non contracted players are put in to the draft pool which is auctioned off one round at a time. The first round is made up of everyones qualifying offer players, everyone bids on all the players except there own in this round and then the highest bid wins each player, in this round then, everyone can either match the highest bid and pay that amount for their restricted free agent or let them go to the highest bidder who gets the player at that price. After that the auction/draft commences, people have whatever cap left for the auction after their contracted players are paid.

The auction proper works like this, generally the players are auctioned off in groups of 6 at a time, (although that number may be changing) the players are grouped together according to their Yahoo ranking so the premium players go up for auction 1st and the talent slowly dwindles, though many bargains can be had in the middle and later rounds with rookies and breakout type players sometimes being had at great contracts. Each round the commissioner Bugsy will announce the group we bid on using an alias account so he can bid too, then we all submit out bids$$$ to him via PM here on BF and the highest bidder for each player wins the player at that price. The auction finishes when all teams have 15 players and you must draft all 15 players without going over that 50mil cap, 500k is the minimum bid.

When everyone has their 15 players they then allocate team and development contracts for the following season. Everyone gets up to 4 development contracts (which will increase 25% each yr you have them on a development contract) and 2 (if the team finished in the top 6 the previous yr) or 3 team contracts (for the bottom 6 teams). Again, team contracts will remain the same for the following season. Anyone may be allocated a development contract however the only players that can be allocated team contracts are those without a prior contract, so only players won at auction can be given team contracts. So essentially players are valued at both their fantasy contribution to your team and how much money they're taking up, for instance you'd probably much rather have a guy ranked 40th on a nice 1.6million dollar sleeper contract which you can then out a development contract on and keep that player for multiple years at a cheap price than say a top 10 player at $25,000,000 (no one ever goes for this, well not yet, but just an example) taking up half your cap and you'd be far more likely to put contracts on guys who represent good value. So astute drafting at auction is a mix of cap management, balancing targetting players that you can contract cheaply who might have high potential or provide really good production for their price and spending big bucks to get that super star you need or whatever. You can always put a qualifying offer on your star the following year if he's too expensive to feel comfortable contracting as well so theres tons of different directions you can go at auction.

So a bit to take in and ive rambled a bit but hopefully that explains it ok. League scoring is roto, standard 9 cat. As far as commitment to the league we just ask that you're active during the auction and submit your bids daily for the 3-4 weeks in pre season and then just set your lineups during the year. Not overly time consuming but you do need to be able to submit bids most nights for the few weeks where the auction is running and after that it isn't time particuarly time consuming. Also a rookie in flaps crushed the league last year with some awesome work at auction, so it's by no means a science and new coaches have every chance to win straight away despite some existing keepers.

p.s Sorry its so long lol, shout out if u dont understand any of it and the auction is generally run in August/September i think Bugsy?

Yeah I'll give it a go, can't remember much of the rules or anything but sure.

If you need someone else I might have a bloke who would join or 2 but just let me know

I'll give it a whirl. Hopefully I do a better job of recruiting and giving out contracts than MJ does :(
You better after I typed up that summary! Haha jk. Good to have you on board mate, no one can ever be a worse executive than MJ and there's a lot less at stake here. Stay tuned, Bugsy may have a question or 2 for you before officially giving you the spot but we need players so you should be in. 😊 I assume you have some fantasy experience and made your way over from the Bill Lambeer cup?

A couple of tips for you and the other new managers... The recent past auction results can generally be found towards the middle/end of each season thread and I think the bidding is archived on Google sheets, though I could be wrong. I'd advise that if you have some spare time between now and the auction, have a look at an old spreadsheet or 2 to see what prices people have paid in the past for which rounds/player types/quality etc. So you aren't heading in to the auction totally blind. Def not essential though and prices will always fluctuate just based upon diff managers and how much money people already have spent.

Also, if you are new to rotisserie scoring, familiarize yourself with the major differences between roto and head 2 head. There has been one or 2 occasions over the years where a manager has been really lazy in looking at the differences between the two and found themselves setting lineups in the same manner as they would in H2H and thus they maxed out of games played by the all star break. Roto is super fun, offers a different set of tactical challenges than H2H and while in most cases players who are studs in H2H are studs in roto, there are some differences between the 2...

If you have questions, my inbox is always open, or ask away here, theres no such thing as a dumb question and currently I have a lot more free time than Bugsy as he has kids to chase after. :p

I've played fantasy a bit in the past but just usually in random leagues. Last year was the first time I've done the Bill Lambeer one and I ended up in the final and lost :( I'll do both next year coz I'm more into the NBA than any other sport these days and I enjoy trying to figure it all out.

I've played fantasy a bit in the past but just usually in random leagues. Last year was the first time I've done the Bill Lambeer one and I ended up in the final and lost :( I'll do both next year coz I'm more into the NBA than any other sport these days and I enjoy trying to figure it all out.
Sweet. It should be a sick season to watch next year! Been kinda hard to get excited about NBA the last few seasons but I haven't been so excited for a season since the Heat big 3 days. I can't ever remember ever seeing such an even competition though, bless Kahwi for being a competitor and not doing a KD.

Sweet. It should be a sick season to watch next year! Been kinda hard to get excited about NBA the last few seasons but I haven't been so excited for a season since the Heat big 3 days. I can't ever remember ever seeing such an even competition though, bless Kahwi for being a competitor and not doing a KD.

I follow the Hornets so even though we will have a terrible year (again) I can't wait for the season. In fact it feels so far away right now I just want some games to watch! Might have to watch some of last years games on LP just to tide me over until October.

vanders as mentioned joined our Bill Laimbeer league last season after picking up a team that someone had forfeited, she was active each week and as mentioned made it to the finals. Would be great to have her onboard in this league as well.

That being said as she was a finalist in the Laimbeer league i nominate her to take on Cameron's team that he left, can't have her finishing top 4 in both :tonguewink:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully I've found the lucky last player on Reddit NBA, should be in here sometime soon and then we're good to go. Looking forward to the auction, it's always a nice activity during the dead month after the draft and free agency :D

Last edited:
Hopefully I've found the lucky last player on Reddit, should be in here sometime soon and then we're good to go. Looking forward to the auction, it's always a nice activity during the dead month after the draft and free agency :D
Apparently the guy needs his account to have admin approval before commenting but he wants to play so i think it's safe to assume that we have our 12th and that he should pop in and say hi in the next day or so. :D

Hey guys, Bugsy Mogues and I are starting a new dynasty roto league, recruiting now for the upcoming season, draft will be sometime near NBA training camp or a bit before depending on how quickly we fill the league and get everything set up. Come sign up below if you're keen on some roto action, see rules in thread :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back