Review The Kids Are Alright Good Beveridge Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Settle down

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
You "settle down".
I didn't say "will be", I said "might".
In 12 games' time CEY might be even better, Brouch might not be match fit, might, might, might ... it'll take some time for Brouch to get as good again as his highlight reel and Osteitis Pubis is a diabolical injury. If mishandled, can be career-ending.
I hope not --- Brouch back in form + Mrouch, Greenwood, Sloane, Gibbs, CEY would be formidable, as good as any midfield in the League, maybe even the best.

The Good
THE Maestro;
I was in Hobart last year when we were slaughtered in the wind and rain by Norf. We learnt from previous poor efforts in the wet. Our tactics were spot-on last night and despite having 5 players with less than 10 AFL games, we looked in control most of the night.
+
The footy gods smiled upon us last night with those conditions. They lessened the impact of our outs.
... and it's a great big YES, from me. :)
eg Otten played one of his better games, but in the dry his slowness would have been exposed. Very good comment on Pyke's tactics/instructions last night --- he's rarely praised.
In the wet, some of our scrubby kicks skidded 30 or 40 metres. Meanwhile the Dogs' over-handball often gained zero metres or created a turnover.

Gibson; 20 disposals, 11 CP, 5 clearances, 8 tackles in his first game. I am happy with my call that he is in our best 22.
I've been predicting (or maybe hoping for) similar since we did the trade.
Look at Pyke's presser, post-game --- 130 consecutive games experience, elite fitness, cleared to play SANFL (ie eased in) but required last night and did well.

Actually, I was thinking that of Fogarty who looked like he was using a railing to walk along in the room, sporting maybe a knee?
Anybody know?
I spotted him using the railing too.
Once he went past it he seemed to walk okay.
I didn't observe as Jenny did the going into the race limp. Mainly as I wasn't paying attention to him
Fog did have his knee strapped and then more strapping added during the game.

Last edited:
The Good
I really liked Fogs chase on Suckling in the last Q
He's got a real footy brain that lad

Eddies 2nd Goal in Q3 tight angle near boundary. He does special stuff

Lairds chase on JJ ( Dogs) in the second and the resulting great defensive effort by Kelly further down saved a goal

I actually liked a lot of Poholkes efforts last night

Bad and Ugly - Some even funny
Jacobs needs to thump the ball forward more in these conditions.
A few times he wound up for a kick and it was so SLOW MO. Twice he hit our players bodies. Gibbs to the side of the face was crazy

The Dogs throws - discusting

That free against Talia for the Dogs first goal was bad

Okay who on here had that sign up about our injuries and being prepared to take the field ?
:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are a very brave football side. We keep following the same system no matter what. A system proven to destroy anything on our day. A system that makes our defense look underated.

Underated until last night.

Before my player review, a few things from last night. We played the conditions so much better, the Dogs have no idea how to play wet weather footy, Tom Boyd is the luckiest man in the AFL (sans mental illness), and 40K against a garbage opponent on a garbage night is a good turnout.

Greenwood - Sensational, absolutely sensational. Just a beast of a player and now hes starting to look like he believes hes good.

Jenkins - Got a goal but after all his hard work he actually earned a cheap on. Stood up as a senior player.

Gibbs - Did hack the pill a bit, particularly early, but he had a monster game, and he needed it after the last couple.

Gallucci - Probably needs to be a bit more involved, but what he did with ball in hand was good, and he chased all night.

Kelly - His type of night and he made the most of it, barely allowed his opponents a sniff

Poholke - He looked like a dear in the headlights last week, this week he was clean as ****. Plays like a young Sloane.

Seedsman - Just keeps putting together good games week after week. Sprayed some kicks but not alone.

Talia - At this rate he should be AA Full Back, but he wont be because hes unfashionable. Hes destroying everyone.

Mackay - Threw himself at everything last night, quite possibly one of the best games hes ever played.

Hartigan - Usually rusty first game back so the hack nature of the game probably helped him, but he was very good.

Eddie - I said to the missus pregame that we needed something special from Eddie. When everyone else makes it look difficult, Eddie does what he does

Gibson - Handy in actually, and again was probably helped by the scrapy nature of the game. If he is our depth we are fine

Atkins - Not his night, just doesnt have the tough nature in him.

Otten - When its wet and the pace drops out, the body positioning and game sense of Andy lifts him. Great 2nd half.

Sauce - Monstered them and he actually belted it forward a few times. ROB couldve done it too though against that lot.

Douglas - 21 kicks, 0 handballs. Great wet weather games, and another who needed it

Lynch - First time in a while ive seen him play a good wet game. 2 from 2 as skipper

CEY - Beast mode engaged. He didnt actually look rushed at all, which is pleasing

Laird - Still cant believe his Brownlow odds. Probably wont win but he hasnt really played a bad game. Was super early last night.

Fogarty - Like JJ, he didnt hit the board much but he chased, he ran, he tackled...... and then there was the fend off.

Doedee - Looks so laconic and composed, back into good form, much better than Burton.

Murphy - Like our entire forward half, he chased, harassed and tackled all night and nicked a goal.

I forgot Greenwood and CEY went to the US together in the off season to train. They said in the commentary TV with UFC guys.

Seems they have a good bond.

These two guys work so well together we need to keep em together for as much of the season as possible. Watching the replay we win just about every contest they are together.

Similar to last week. These two were quite good last week as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have to say that I am bewildered that we won that game lasst night. Our injuries were already bad enough but when we lost Tex, Mrouch, Brown and Gov I changed my tips to the Dogs. How could we possibly beat the Dogs who regained three of their best players whilst we had an injury list that had

Smith
Tex
Sloane
Brouch
Mrouch
McGovern
Brown
Knights
Hampton
Milera

Yes there are a few others injured but these guys are all in our best 22. Thats 10 of our 22 missing. How does any AFL team beat another AFL team with half of their best 22 missing. I guess that answer is with guts and determination.

So how does that reflect on the AFC list. Something must be working and yet we all sit here and talk about our depth. To me right now it looks pretty good. Remember we only lost to the Power by one point and that was without about 6 of our top 22. The other question I have to ask is how does this performance reflect on the rest of the competition. The Dogs just had three wins albeit not impressive wins but they also only just lost to Sydney. Surely our win tonight puts a question mark over quite a few of the other teams.

I think given that we played in the wet and we played without half our team that right now we should all be pretty proud of how our guys performed tonight.

Good: listening to the podcast of AFL Nation's pre-game show from last night, and hearing Kane Cornes say that the Bulldogs' midfield is '30-40% better than the Crows' tonight'

:D
If it wasn't for the rain in the first half the bulldogs would of cut us up.

The rain cut down on thier logistical advantage

From here on our draw gets astronomically tougher

We've already played most of the s**t teams (Essendon, St Kilda, Gold Coast, Carlton and Footscray). Only Brisbane and Carlton to come.
It also means that every win for us is a loss for a team competing with us for a spot.

If it wasn't for the rain in the first half the bulldogs would of cut us up.

The rain cut down on thier logistical advantage
We won centre clearances didnt we ?? It wasnt the inside that beat us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back