Review The Kids Are Alright Good Beveridge Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: listening to the podcast of AFL Nation's pre-game show from last night, and hearing Kane Cornes say that the Bulldogs' midfield is '30-40% better than the Crows' tonight'

:D

Why does anyone listen to him? Now as soon as I hear his voice, change stations.

For someone who played 300 games, what he knows about football you could put on the back of a postage stamp. He is totally and utterly clueless.

Bloody awesome to see Eeeeeeedddddiiiiiiiiiieeeeee back in form - exactly what we needed from him tonight.

Talia, Hartigan and Kelly were fantastic; a couple of clutch effort by Kelly in particular.

Really liked Murphy’s game.

Mackay was excellent.

Laird was Laird.

CEY and Greenwood tops.

Gibbs - strong games but he really should nailed at least the second of his set shots.

Gibson - handy debut. Great depth.

Poholke was a lot better tonight. I liked that he was happy to hold the ball and cop a gang tackle to avoid giving up the ball.

Jenkins busted his arse which was great to see. Shame about being out marked by Jackson though

Why does anyone listen to him? Now as soon as I hear his voice, change stations.

For someone who played 300 games, what he knows about football you could put on the back of a postage stamp. He is totally and utterly clueless.
He was just a tagger. His job was to impede play at each contest and be able to run.

That is it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If it wasn't for the rain in the first half the bulldogs would of cut us up.

The rain cut down on thier logistical advantage
No one believes that you're a Crows fan for starters, and could you have been any quicker to jump to Kockhead Kane Kornes' defence ?? Also, you should have paid more attention at school !!

Think that was the one from last year, it'll be ongoing awareness through his career.

When he ran down the bull dog player he showed a good turn of speed with that strapped knee. I thought he’d looked pretty sluggish in all games so far.
Hopefully he’s starting to understand the speed of the game at this level and it’s something he can build up to permanently.
The don’t argue and nice pass to Dougy (I think) was a very encouraging piece of play.
I had a mate over to watch his first game since the abomination of last September.
He didn’t know who half the team was. Lol.

If it wasn't for the rain in the first half the bulldogs would of cut us up. The rain cut down on thier logistical advantage
What was their 'logistical advantage", please? (I'm serious, I'd like to know)

If it hadn't been raining, it would've been ... uh ... not raining?? ;)
Their handballing last night was DUMB wet-weather footy. I'd like to watch the replay with the intention of counting only the number of Dogs' handballs (not the throws, which is a different issue) that either missed the mark (wet ball, mishit) or were fumbled/dropped by the recipient (slippery ball, like a block of ice). Plenty, which caused turnovers of which we took advantage.
I think the rain "helped" us only in that we played very good wet-ball footy. Yay, Crows.
It was a solid, 4-quarter effort and we deserved the win.

Did anyone see/hear Lynch's comments after the game about his contract?
Heard him on AA post game. They had a couple of cracks at getting something from him - he could not have deflected any more if he tried. He actually openly admitted he was deflecting at one point I think.

At the start of their chat Rowey suggested that we should just sign him up to a 5 year deal, to which he nervously laughed and replied 'that would be nice wouldn't it'.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was their 'logistical advantage", please? (I'm serious, I'd like to know)

If it hadn't been raining, it would've been ... uh ... not raining?? ;)
Their handballing last night was DUMB wet-weather footy. I'd like to watch the replay with the intention of counting only the number of Dogs' handballs (not the throws, which is a different issue) that either missed the mark (wet ball, mishit) or were fumbled/dropped by the recipient (slippery ball, like a block of ice). Plenty, which caused turnovers of which we took advantage.
I think the rain "helped" us only in that we played very good wet-ball footy. Yay, Crows.
It was a solid, 4-quarter effort and we deserved the win.
Our captain and 3 a grade mids missing was what gave them a logistical advantage.

On a dry day we would of been made to pay.

I have to say that I am bewildered that we won that game lasst night. Our injuries were already bad enough but when we lost Tex, Mrouch, Brown and Gov I changed my tips to the Dogs. How could we possibly beat the Dogs who regained three of their best players whilst we had an injury list that had

Smith
Tex
Sloane
Brouch
Mrouch
McGovern
Brown
Knights
Hampton
Milera

Yes there are a few others injured but these guys are all in our best 22. Thats 10 of our 22 missing. How does any AFL team beat another AFL team with half of their best 22 missing. I guess that answer is with guts and determination.

So how does that reflect on the AFC list. Something must be working and yet we all sit here and talk about our depth. To me right now it looks pretty good. Remember we only lost to the Power by one point and that was without about 6 of our top 22. The other question I have to ask is how does this performance reflect on the rest of the competition. The Dogs just had three wins albeit not impressive wins but they also only just lost to Sydney. Surely our win tonight puts a question mark over quite a few of the other teams.

I think given that we played in the wet and we played without half our team that right now we should all be pretty proud of how our guys performed tonight.
IMO, Crows like many clubs are what I call plucky from a mental attitude point of view. When Crows players truly believe they are up against it like last night (many first 22 players missing, an opponent who look formidable compared to where Crows are at), they often bring their A-game and we see results like last night.

However, plucky teams can have a bad habit of not turning up - not going in with a tough mindset - if players truly think they are playing a team they should beat easily (because it is so on form) so they don't think they need to work as hard. If the other team is also a plucky team, then they will go into the match with the right attitude and work harder as they will have the opposite expectation. I think the recent games v. Collingwood is an example of this.

The next level up are clubs that are what might be called determined from a mental p.o.v. and these are clubs who can turn it on at will and bring their A-game whenever they need it, they are very willing to keep putting the effort in even if they have a setback after already having worked hard in a struggle. I think the Hawks in their multi-premiership years are an example of this - they didn't always dominate on the score sheet but when the chips are down in important games, they can turn it on and go to higher levels to blow teams away.

On the other side are clubs that are downhill skiers and hopeless easybeats.

I'm not convinced Crows are a determined side at this stage but hopefully they will be that one day.

I enjoyed the post and treat your questions as non-rhetorical ---
Yes there are a few others injured but these guys are all in our best 22. Thats 10 of our 22 missing.
That's open to some debate. This board will never agree as to what our best 22 should be made up of. Someone will always want player X over player Y etc.
How does any AFL team beat another AFL team with half of their best 22 missing. I guess that answer is with guts and determination.
That, and many other variables including coaching staff, depth, gameplay (they played bad wet-weather footy) etc.
So how does that reflect on the AFC list. Something must be working and yet we all sit here and talk about our depth. To me right now it looks pretty good.
You've answered your own questions. Our depth has really stood up and helped to set up our season. When most of those injured players are fit, it's going to be a selectors' nightmare and delight, both.
1) The other question I have to ask is how does this performance reflect on the rest of the competition. The Dogs just had three wins albeit not impressive wins but they also only just lost to Sydney. 2) Surely our win tonight puts a question mark over quite a few of the other teams.
1) It doesn't. We lost to Essendon who are now a basket case. Many such examples of A beating B, B beating C, then C beating A. Logic hardly applies when so many elements are involved, many random.
2) Don't think so.
Some are stronger, some weaker, some better coached, some have better wet-weather plans etc etc.

Like you, I'm looking forward to getting best players back from injury, who might just be inspired themselves by the lesser players who've done the job in their absence. Not just that but competition for places will be at an all-time high, putting fringe players on notice.

So I've only watched 3 of 9 games live this season. Always late with my comments :) It is interesting though. I read all the analysis comments after each game and get a general feeling of how players went through people's opinions. Then when I watch the replay I seem to get a different feel on some of the players games. I think availability bias creeps into many people's judgments of how someone played. I could find examples from every game.
For example: Fog (big fan) had a grand total of 1 really effective play (not including the free kick and goal), which came late and most people's thoughts were that he had a good game albeit quiet.
Same with CEY, was expecting a very good game (was still good overall), but I think they fact that he finished with a few clean and effective plays late in the game influenced opinions a bit. He had a lot of nothing disposals early (much like everyone).

Anyway, just some thoughts from a perspective I haven't been in before. Not having a dig at anyone or any players games.

Thoughts on the game:

Hard to gauge given the conditions. It suited us in the sense that it's hard to expose a teams weakness when your stars can't really use their disposal to cut you up (Bont and Macrae). We had the players to grind it out in close (CEY, Greenwood and Gibbs) and had the talent up forward to convert much better. I don't think the points the dogs scored really reflected a lot of easy missed chances. A lot of half chances and rushed behinds. It reflected that they were able to get on top in gaining territory from their midfield at times.

I thought our 3 main mids were very good. Gibbs has surprised me with his contested stuff. I don't think I ever noticed it at Carlton. Has had to sacrifice his outside game though given our injuries. CEY continues to show he's now an AFL footballer. I had him pegged for the scrap heap last year. More than handy. Greenwood just hunts. Love watching him around the footy.

The conditions suited our dogged defence, who would be the least depleted of the side. Laird, Talia, Hartigan, Doedee and Kelly were very good. I thought Kelly has done well defensively over the last two games. I've been quite critical of that part of his game.

Special mention to Doedee. He loved the contest and looks like a veteran at times. Went in hard and was clean (apart from 1 dropped mark) in congestion. Really competitive (hey Marty) and was perfectly suited to that game.

Seedsman continues to stamp himself on the comp. Never saw that coming. Another good game.

Eddie found a bit of form. Hopefully that's the start of something and not an anomaly.

Poholke seemed to learn a lot from last week. He looked more aware this week and actually had an influence.

I quite like Gallucci. Not sure what his role is long term or whether he was truly worthy of a late first round (?), but he looks nifty player. Keeps his feet very well and is clean. Loves to tackle and goes in hard. Can nail a pass as well. I think we have something but I'm just not sure what it is yet.

Overall a good win considering the players out. I thought we'd struggle. On a dry day it may have been a bit closer.

IMO, Crows like many clubs are what I call plucky from a mental attitude point of view.
Not sure why, but this made me chuckle. Not an often-used word these days.
Opposition supporters might say we're lucky, or sucky ;).
If 'plucky' = courageous/gutsy, we certainly had several players like that eg Laird/ CEY/ Greenwood/ Murphy/ Fog/ Gallucci/ Talia/ Doedee/ Douglas on Friday night. Otten showed some courage as well, taking a couple of vital contested marks.

Gibbs has surprised me with his contested stuff. I don't think I ever noticed it at Carlton. Has had to sacrifice his outside game though given our injuries. CEY continues to show he's now an AFL footballer. I had him pegged for the scrap heap last year. More than handy. Greenwood just hunts. Love watching him around the footy.
As much as I can on TV, I've been watching Gibbs carefully. His skill level is elite imo and he does a lot of one-%ers reflecting his experience and commitment. Terrific gain for us.
Around the first JLT game, I posted a pic of CEY looking ripped and commented that I hoped he'd have a good year, to quite a lot of opposing/negative posts afterwards. I thought he was looking good before he did his ACL but he's exceeded even my expectations. I hope they persevere with him.
Greenwood, wow, he's on :fire: and what improvement he's shown! Looks like his engine's getting stronger too. CleanCLEAN hands and a rare ability to get the ball out --- his handball to Poholke (I think) for a goal was genius, was going to kick, saw he was blocked, handballed back in the blink of an eye, fantastic awareness.
http://www.afc.com.au/video/2018-05-18/highlights-r9-first-goal-in-footy-and-a-strange-celebration
Fast becoming my fave player, taller/tougher version of Porplyzia whom I really liked too. Greenwood plays like a kid who just loves to play footy.
Seedsman continues to stamp himself on the comp. Never saw that coming. Another good game.
Yeah, me too. I remember him kicking some good goals previously, but his line-breaking now and contested ball is impressive. Terrific kick.

Last edited:
Hey AmericanCrow , what'd y'all think of the Crows/Dogs slog?

I thought we did exactly what a good team with title aspirations does--we grinded out a professional win.

It wasn't necessarily our prettiest effort but it didn't have to be. I thought the vets made sure to keep the kids focused on moving the ball forward.

The moment was clearly not to big for our youngsters and I thought for the most part they really made the right plays/decisions.

Did so by garnering valuable experience.

Coming off a loss like last week, it was an important W.

I have always thought, since what transpired a couple seasons ago, that this club has (for the vast majority of the time) been a mentally tough club.

Friday night was another example of it.

Your thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back