Review The Kids Teach the Old Men A Lesson (Hawks Review)

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Wonder if it was part of Montagna’s scout report but we looked to take on Ceglar at every opportunity, worked well

Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
The quality and evenness of effort is really pleasing. All bar Colyer in double figures for disposals and consecutive wins built off of sustained pressure. Still not seeing how we are going to kick enough goals to beat the better teams but with Carlton and the Swans coming up 6-6 is not unrealistic.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
I won't repeat too much of the great stuff from the game (Cerra, AB, Serong, our undermanned back 6, etc...)

+'s

- 380-284, that's a hell of a possession differential
- 9 of top 10 ball winners were all wearing purple
- Game plan that controlled the clock and pace of the game
- Decision making - As JLo said in his presser, they don't talk about what to do with the ball. They talk about giving the player with the ball multiple options. We saw less 1m handballs (which do my freaking head in) and more to the man outside of the contest.
- Structure - See point above. We didn't get sucked into the contest. I'm tired of seeing 5 Freo players and 2 opposition players next to the ball and 5 opposition players around the edge. Ball comes out and we're on the back foot.
- Tabs! Wasn't taking the big clunkers this game but he showed he can learn from his mistakes when he held up after taking the mark right in front of goal. I was yelling "Stop stop stop stop...settle!!" as he marked it.
- Fyfe time in the F50 - If our midfield can play like this, we can add another 2 years onto his career as a marking forward.
- Colyer out - I know he didn't play terribly and I'm not wishing him an injury but we played fine without him 2nd half. He's just an average footballer and I'm sick and tired of him. Bringing in Walters for him will be a HUGE upgrade.
- JLo coaching - They gave JLo credit as the mastermind behind the Collingwood defense. What he has done with the back six without Moose, Hamling, and Logue has been a masterclass.
- 21 - That's the number of disposals James Aish had on the wing. Brad Hill had this 8 week. Glad to have Aishy back in the line up. Could be our best free agent pick up this year.
- 15 - That's the number of disposals Fredrick had on the wing. Did I mention Brad Hill only had 8?
- 15 - That's the number of Freo players who had over 70% DE. That's a solid number. Cox had 100% and Blakley had 93% DE.
- 33 disposals - If you project that on to a full game, AB would have had over 40 disposals. That's crazy.
- AB interview - After the game AB was interviewed by Freo Media and he kept talking about how great the fans were and how much he appreciated the support.
- Forward smalls - Great pressure by Crowden, Bewley and the boys. We need more goals from them, but those will come in time.
- Freo chant - There was discussion on here last week on when it is appropriate to bust out the "Freeeeeo" chant. I don't have the perspective of most on her, so I'll leave the debate to others, but damn it felt good to hear it when the game was in hand with two minutes to go. Gave me goosebumps.

-'s

- Firecracker Freddy - He'll be fine in time but, wow, was he fumbley tonight.
- My Buddy - That stutter step has got to go. Funny thing is that JLo said in the presser that he doesn't do it in practice. It only comes out in games when he's under stress/pressure. When asked if he could bring in a coach to help him, JLo said it was impossible due to the covid restrictions.
- Covid - See comment above.
- Breust - Of course he has to slot a goal in the dying minutes so we can't say we kept the Hawks to their lowest score under Clarkson. F U Lukey.
- My emotions - This is only two wins in a row and we're way down on the ladder, but why does it feel so good? This is not healthy.
- It was a Monday night so I kind of understand, but 18,000 fans? C'mon people, get around these boys!! (I know that's easy for me to say 2,300 miles away, but still...).

Carlton and Swans are both winnable games if we play like we did against the Hawks. Can you imagine if we win 4 in a row? This board is gonna go ape sh**.

Last edited:

Thistle

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, ICT, Glory
Makes such a difference that our defence are all good kicks of the ball. Instead of hack kicks and turnovers we are finding targets which has set up a lot of our attacks.

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well that was the most controlled performance i have seen for a while from Freo. You can finally see the Game plan Longmuir is implementing.

Good to get that monkey off our back with the hawks who i think had that psychological mental edge over us with ross in charge. As we never were competitive against them.

And great to see young players like Brayshaw and cerra stand up and be dominant for 4 quarters.

I do think we can be conservative at times which explains our low scoring.

The only downside was it should have been a 5-6 goal win with the dominance we had.

Just need to get that killer instinct on the attack and not keep the door open.

If we managed just one more win at the start of the year in those tight losses finals could have been possibility but 0-4 start has probably left it too late.

Boppo

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sth Freo
Aish was a great in this week, such a good contributer. Hopefully we can get favourite son Hilly back to his best as well..some of his handballs lately have opened up the opposition but he still seems to find the speed a bit quick.

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Another very good game from Nathan Wilson

he’s got his hard edge back
Wilson's looking like his confidence in his body is back
Was in the right place when the ball was coming in took a lot of intercept marks that just lobbed on to his chest
Still needs to iron out whatever's going on with his kicking

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Only negative for me was Lobb. Not sure what is worse, the shuffle or the crowd mocking the shuffle to the extent that he has no hope kicking it.
I said before the game he might need a rest next game and I am convinced of it now.
Otherwise there were just positives everywhere.
Found it odd that Jlo said he doesn't do it at training it only happens during games
So he has a completely different approach to goal at training?
I can't believe that is possible if he just added a little skip to his run up maybe but not whatever it is he is doing

Aug 10, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Found it odd that Jlo said he doesn't do it at training it only happens during games
So he has a completely different approach to goal at training?
I can't believe that is possible if he just added a little skip to his run up maybe but not whatever it is he is doing
Sounds like it’s a nervous tic that returns to him when there’s game day pressure.

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Only negative for me was Lobb. Not sure what is worse, the shuffle or the crowd mocking the shuffle to the extent that he has no hope kicking it.
I said before the game he might need a rest next game and I am convinced of it now.
Otherwise there were just positives everywhere.

I've been a bit down on his year to be honest. He looked star quality in the preseason and round 1, but just serviceable since the break. He can be better.

Also I hope the last quarter is looked at in the review. You can't play a whole quarter like there's 1 minute to go, killing the clock. 28 points can disappear pretty quickly if you're not playing to score and a better side than the Hawks last night would have made that a tense finish even though we dominated the rest of the game.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Brennan Cox. Bewley and Schultz have also earned extensions. McCarthy is too talented not to keep on the list.
Agree with everyone but McCarthy. I don't think he has the work ethic to play AFL football.

I think when we have everyone back in our team, Bewley is still best 22 which is a great improvement on where he was 10 weeks ago. Very good role player.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Agree with everyone but McCarthy. I don't think he has the work ethic to play AFL football.
I think that may be an external perception thing rather than the reality. Remember seeing him in pre-season and thinking he'd worked incredibly hard to get his body in better shape over the break. Certainly not suggesting a long contract but persisting with him for a bit longer is much better risk vs reward situation than some of the other potential delistings we might consider imo. Although we don't his medical situation and whether that may impact things either.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Preaching to the converted, but what a friggin great game that was :)

For years, we didn't have much in the way of skills (all laden in a handful of players) , so we played high pressure to rob the other team of their skill. But footy is usually a chain of possession and your scoring opportunity goes out the window when 5 things are done right and 1 thing goes wrong - e.g. Suban laying on the ground hugging the ball. So what a contrast this game was - still did the high workrate and high pressure game and a heap of one percenters, but importantly we hit targets by hand and foot.

As the OP put it - "the kids teach the old men a lesson". Brayshaw, 2018 an average of 16 disposals, 2019 17 disposals, then this 20 year old who is still a few years away from his prime puts on a masterclass and 33 disposals (do that most games and you are competing for the brownlow). Cerra, not far behind him in numbers at 26 disposals but with more sublime kicks. Add in a a few other yoof that are performing way ahead of any trajectory that they should be on for their age and the effort that they were able to put in was mindblowing - though shorter quarters this year would help.

A big shout out to Blakely, played the game that I wanted to see from him for a few years and then nearly brings me to tears when he does his shoulder, thankfully it seems minimal and he was able to play the game out. SHill, practically the same - played like I haven't seen for a few years. Frederick is getting more sense of where the team mates are and what to expect them to do and so it's not just "see ball, run at ball", it was an improved game from him but still a work in progress. Tabs, some of his decision making was blindingly fast and he made good decisions which is not the Tabs we always see, plus some excellent positioning in instances, well done that man who, slipped from 6th to 7th in the coleman tally - but crikey I'm stoked with 7th! Similar to Tabs, Cox hasn't been synonymous with fast decision making and good decisions in the past, but I can't particularly fault him for it today unless I wanted to pull out the microscope.

Just so nice to see a credible chain from the midfield to marks in the forward line, plus beating my wifes team (and our bugbear at that), I'm going to be grinning continuously for the week.

Back