The Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So we're half way through the year and have finally had exposure to the draftees and inclusions over the past few years. Not all of them are going to make it, and some others will be stars.

I've been told I've been a bit harsh when discussing this with a number of my mates, but here is how I see the lay of the land.

Potential Stars:
Bianco - An elite kick of the footy as evidenced by his two games. A previous captain of Oakleigh Chargers. Has all the skills to make the grade and a good enough understanding of his flaws to fill in the gaps. He doesn't rely on pace to make an impact, which has a kid is a massive positive.

Poulter - The fact he has come into the team and held his spot for the best part of a month is telling. Raking boot and with his mullet, flapping in the wind, there are definitely similarities between him and a young Daisy. Lacks the polish, but would expect him to play 150 games for the club as a minimum.

Solid Contributors
Mcreery - small pressure forwards float in and out of games, which is why he is not in my potential star list. He is everything we need right now and should have a long tenure at the club.

Murphy - I think he'll settle into a back line role, similar mold to Toovey, dour, but with a bigger tank.

Kelly - could just as easily be in the 'Looking Unlikely' category, but has kicked a goal at AFL level and has looked somewhat relevant in the one game he has played. Interesting seeing him go down back, generally an easier role to play than a KPF, however with a few years under his belt already, time is ticking.

T Brown - He'll play a lot of games due to his size, was tracking ok before his injury this year. Far from a world beater but I see him playing more games than he misses moving forward.

Keane - By no means a best 22 player, but solid depth. Will only get bigger and better, but probably not enough to be a consistent AFL standard KPD

Looking Unlikely
Rantall - hasn't shown much in the games he has played. Looks like he's getting smaller and slower some how. With the likes of Murphy, Poulter and others coming along - he's going to need to find a niche to solidify a spot.

Mccrae - have not been impressed with his game at all. His first game was all but done and duster at 3/4 time and he had a big last quarter. Goes missing far too often. He's very small and will need to have a big offseason before he just becomes another Cal Brown.

Henry - Similar to Mccrae, hasn't shown anything at the level. Will need a big offseason but if he continues his current trajectory, its not looking good.

Lynch - Played ok on the weekend against ROB, however hasn't been able to break into the side with Grundy, Cameron and Cox ahead of him. May keep his spot on the list is Cox is moved on at the end of the year but doesn't look like he will be much more than shallow depth.

List Cloggers
Wilson - failed experiment. 24 years old with two years in the system. Reaping the benefits of a bulging salary cap, would be lucky to get a game at a contending club.

Ruscoe - some will call this harsh, given he has kicked a few goals, but the fact he can't break into the current side doesn't bode well. Was a drafted as a backman, but is now playing forward. Might not be all his fault, but may be lost to the system.

Tohill - been around since 2018 without being able to crack the side, unlikely.

Too Early to Tell
Begg, Johnson, Mcinness, Mcmahon, Ginnivan, Chugg

McCrae, Henry and Rantall all just kids. All have been Covid hit, and not played at a level worth talking about for over a year.
I know Bianco is in the same boat as Rantall. Bianco has only played 2 games. We are all strutting like Mick Jagger over him, and i hope we are all correct. Give all of these kids at least until the end of the season and then another pre season before we really get a look.
Hopefully vaccination and quarantine get better so life moves on again for all...

So we're half way through the year and have finally had exposure to the draftees and inclusions over the past few years. Not all of them are going to make it, and some others will be stars.

I've been told I've been a bit harsh when discussing this with a number of my mates, but here is how I see the lay of the land.

Potential Stars:
Bianco - An elite kick of the footy as evidenced by his two games. A previous captain of Oakleigh Chargers. Has all the skills to make the grade and a good enough understanding of his flaws to fill in the gaps. He doesn't rely on pace to make an impact, which has a kid is a massive positive.

Poulter - The fact he has come into the team and held his spot for the best part of a month is telling. Raking boot and with his mullet, flapping in the wind, there are definitely similarities between him and a young Daisy. Lacks the polish, but would expect him to play 150 games for the club as a minimum.

Solid Contributors
Mcreery - small pressure forwards float in and out of games, which is why he is not in my potential star list. He is everything we need right now and should have a long tenure at the club.

Murphy - I think he'll settle into a back line role, similar mold to Toovey, dour, but with a bigger tank.

Kelly - could just as easily be in the 'Looking Unlikely' category, but has kicked a goal at AFL level and has looked somewhat relevant in the one game he has played. Interesting seeing him go down back, generally an easier role to play than a KPF, however with a few years under his belt already, time is ticking.

T Brown - He'll play a lot of games due to his size, was tracking ok before his injury this year. Far from a world beater but I see him playing more games than he misses moving forward.

Keane - By no means a best 22 player, but solid depth. Will only get bigger and better, but probably not enough to be a consistent AFL standard KPD

Looking Unlikely
Rantall - hasn't shown much in the games he has played. Looks like he's getting smaller and slower some how. With the likes of Murphy, Poulter and others coming along - he's going to need to find a niche to solidify a spot.

Mccrae - have not been impressed with his game at all. His first game was all but done and duster at 3/4 time and he had a big last quarter. Goes missing far too often. He's very small and will need to have a big offseason before he just becomes another Cal Brown.

Henry - Similar to Mccrae, hasn't shown anything at the level. Will need a big offseason but if he continues his current trajectory, its not looking good.

Lynch - Played ok on the weekend against ROB, however hasn't been able to break into the side with Grundy, Cameron and Cox ahead of him. May keep his spot on the list is Cox is moved on at the end of the year but doesn't look like he will be much more than shallow depth.

List Cloggers
Wilson - failed experiment. 24 years old with two years in the system. Reaping the benefits of a bulging salary cap, would be lucky to get a game at a contending club.

Ruscoe - some will call this harsh, given he has kicked a few goals, but the fact he can't break into the current side doesn't bode well. Was a drafted as a backman, but is now playing forward. Might not be all his fault, but may be lost to the system.

Too Early to Tell

I agree, you're being way too harsh. The vast majority of the players listed remain in the Too Early to Tell space. Dilution of the VFL season this year will only compound that.

Way too early to make a call on Rantall, Macrae and Henry. Macrae and Henry played NO football last year in their final year of the underage football and Rantall only played the mickey mouse scratch matches last year in the Hub in his first year in the system. They're all more or less a year behind in their development. All have shown enough to suggest there is something to work with just like the other players you have put in the too early category, but we haven't seen enough to make a call on the either way.

Potential Stars:

Solid Contributors

Looking Unlikely

List Cloggers

Too Early to Tell

I've seen a lot of rubbish posted on this board and just laughed it off. But this is so ridiculous I had to reply. Writing off first year kids after a handful of games! Get some perspective FFS.

Unsure how you can mark Henry/Macrae/Rantall so harshly then on flip side rate Bianco so highly above them.

All will benefit from some VFL and another pre season

I really wish the club had have taken a more structured approach this year when introducing kids into the seniors. With regards to all the kids that missed so much footy in 2020. They should have all been told theyd have a 5 game block in the vfl or not even told. Just made to do that before going into seniors.

Im not sold on Tom Wilson. I feel like he has no outstanding attribute to make it, coupled with he just doesn't ooze natural footballer.

It’s kids isn’t it?! Kids with not enough experience. You do a good job and then they * it all up.

Seriously though, I thought we were all sold on Macrae after his debut, nek minnit he’s s**t and ready to be kicked to the kerb!

Thanks for the LOLs though.

Last edited:
Personally I would like to see tohill play some seniors and I think worth 1 more season...think he could be a solid full back.

Keane again give another season and more game time ..

I'm worried about Kelly...next year really needs to show something ..

Macrae just isn't ready hopefully shows a little more next year..

Henry I've seen good vfl form however part of me is worried.

Rantall and ruscoe tbh I think just move on quickly...I know harsh but is what it is.

Mcreery bianco and poulter obviously look good

Chugg don't think he ever plays a game

Wilson yeah tbh don't see it

We currently have 26 players on the list who have <50 games experience, 19 of them <10, 7 yet to debut. We seriously need a couple of guns (B+ or better) to emerge from that group and for a significant number to form the core (</=B+) of the best 22 for the next 10 years or we're in a lot of trouble.

Of the players listed in the OP and others <50 gamer's on the list, those most under pressure are those OoC at the end of this year. That includes (Rookie listed in bold)
Keane,
Tohill,
Chugg,
Bianco,
Wilson,
Ruscoe,
Lynch,
Rantall,
Ginnivan,
Sier,
Madgen,
Noble,
Cameron.

I think we'll definitely delist a couple of those senior listed players as barring trades we'll have to to free up spots for points in the ND. The futures of Tohill, Keane, and Lynch are the most imperiled of our Rookie listed players as I think they all need to be elevated to the senior list if retained. Retaining them would require us to therefore free up an additional senior list spot. I think Wilson still has another year on the rookie list if retained.

If I was to guess which of the current 26 <50 gamers had the greatest potential to be B+ or better, I'd favour Bianco, Poulter, J Daicos, Macrae, Quaynor and McInnes. Ideally, 1-2 would be A grade or better. I think Tyler Brown, Sier, Murphy, Ruscoe, Henry, Keane, Cameron, Kelly, McCreery, Wilson and Noble have already shown enough to suggest they could be at least solid longer term role players at senior level. Jury is still out on the rest.

Written off several players way too early.

Focusing on McRae... he has just not played on the ball enough at senior level. In two VFL games he averaged 28 touches, 5 tackles

20 of those average touches were handballs... which says he was played extensively in the middle and quite effective when there. Wish I had the clearance numbers. But I also think with McRae he could be played off half back, wing, etc so with his generally good disposal he will definitely find a home in the best 22 at some point

Kid just needs more time... I’ll put money on him and McInness (again from witnessed VFL form) still making the grade... just as I think Poulter, Bianco and McReery will

Keane and Kelly will be serviceable defenders.

Henry is an awkward size but with his hands

The other 2020 draftees and Cat B rookies just haven’t had enough exposure to AFL to make a call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Written off several players way too early.

Focusing on McRae... he has just not played on the ball enough at senior level. In two VFL games he averaged 28 touches, 5 tackles

And there is the problem with the whole shallow post. Im not sure that the OP has watched any VFL footy let alone taken it into account in his predictions. For example Wilson absolutely dominated his last 2 VFL games: 30 possessions than 24 - he did it all - intercept marks, good decision making lovely disposal, but because that form didn't instantly translate into the AFL - he is a dud...

Potential Stars:

Solid Contributors

Looking Unlikely

List Cloggers

Too Early to Tell

This is a joke right?..You're obviously channelling your inner "Robbo"? If not? OMG :eek:

Still bullish on Macrae, he’s actually taller than you think and will fill out more as he develops.
Iirc his brother took a while to establish himself.
Just needs continuity

Gun junior, will be a good replacement for Sidey over the next few years.

Potential Stars:

Solid Contributors

Looking Unlikely

List Cloggers

Too Early to Tell
gee gone v early here! V harsh on Henry and Macrae, who have actually out-performed Bianco at a similar point in careers. & Bianco on the back of one decent game....

And there is the problem with the whole shallow post. Im not sure that the OP has watched any VFL footy let alone taken it into account in his predictions. For example Wilson absolutely dominated his last 2 VFL games: 30 possessions than 24 - he did it all - intercept marks, good decision making lovely disposal, but because that form didn't instantly translate into the AFL - he is a dud...
There is a very big difference between a good VFL player and even a serviceable AFl standard player.

Use Alex Woodward as an example, prior to all of his knee complications he won a JJ Liston medal only to get a few games for Hawthorn.

VFL form rarely translates into prolonged AFL success

Crazy thread and opinions given how many games most have played in last 18 months lets revisit at end of season. Seriously some of kids played like 2 games in 18 months

Potential Stars:

Solid Contributors

Looking Unlikely

List Cloggers

Too Early to Tell
Way,way to early to class our 1st round picks Henry & McCrae as ‘looking unlikely’ let’s see how their fairing at the end of 2022.

Going incredibly early saying Macrae and Henry are unlikely. Missed a whole year of footy and are unsurprisingly looking underdone at the highest level. Bit silly if you ask me.

That’s it, really. Of our “kids” the ones to shine have been;
Bianco: drafted 2019 and had a full U18 and some VFL exposure
Poulter: played SANFL all year in 2020
McCreery: played SANFL all year in 2020.

Then looking at Macrae, Henry, McMahon, Reef: drafted in 2020 after basically no football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back