Roast The lack of introspection from opposition supporters and compromised media figures.

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL currently is a growing monster but growing for who...?!?
Gill.

A mate and I were talking about the AFL and the corporatisation/globalisation of the game and the tampering and rules changes to make it more watchable. After a big rant, he looked at me and said "never thought I'd say this, but I miss Demetriou". Funny thing is, I tend to agree with him.

So apparently crocmedia have purchased AFL Media which includes the record.

Crocmedia is hutchy and his goons right?

Is there any media they don’t own?
Certainly none that's worth reading, watching or listening too.

i reckon there would be more media pundits commentating on the game in tv/radio/print than all the afl coaches and players combined

that’s where the glut is, footy media is bigger than the game itself, and thus the game is lost forever, footy media is now the game

Time for a salary cap on media. How many journalists do we really need?

By my estimation, a rotation of maybe 10 to call the game (and 10 who know all the players ******* names will be hard to find). 2 or 3 for print media in each capital city. MAXIMUM 5 on talkback radio. And Tony Greenberg. A total of 30 should do it.

they lack an emotional IQ where they can internally reflect and look within.

The complete lack of self-awareness in the footy "media" is pretty funny. How many "media" folks have we seen talking about Bernie Vince smiling after the Geelong loss, all discussing it at length saying it's a beat-up that shouldn't be discussed in the media at length :rolleyes:

And while I'm going...

I usually don't buy into the conspiracy stuff about the AFL making changes because Richmond. But, if they trial new rules on teams that aren't playing finals, doesn't that disadvantage the teams that are playing finals?

Don't even get me started on why the rules need changing anyway...

And while I'm going...

I usually don't buy into the conspiracy stuff about the AFL making changes because Richmond. But, if they trial new rules on teams that aren't playing finals, doesn't that disadvantage the teams that are playing finals?

Don't even get me started on why the rules need changing anyway...
Maybe when I have a spare day or two.

Maybe when I have a spare day or two.

My poor, patient missus gets to hear about it on a daily basis.

And she is a fine example of why this "state of the game" business shits me. She isn't Australian. Never saw a game before she was 25. She's never played. And she thinks the game is so excellent that she bought a Maurice Rioli level membership before I did.

The game is in such a fantastic state that it brings new, committed and passionate people who are willing to spend their hard earned cash.

Record attendance. Record club membership. Record participation. Holy s**t, what we have is so successful, so unique and so special that we have to change it... :rolleyes:

So, here we are, 37 years out of the wilderness, and it has happened. We have broken the AFL.
Just to clarify, it was ok for the AFL to intervene and move Lockett up north. It was ok for Ottens to leave us and go to Geelong. It was ok when we were "Richmondy", 9th mond, Richmung. It was ok when the Hawks were master recruiters taking a Frawley from a clearly flying Melbourne at the time, and Lake from the Dogs. Buddy and Tippett going to Sydney was fine.
It was ok for us to have the worst list since Fitzroy in 1996 when Hardwick took over and then had to rebuild through compromised drafts where we saw the birth of GC and GWS. It was ok when we were losing finals.
But hey, now, we have a problem. Richmond win a flag and now we have to have massive rule changes. Richmond win a flag and free agency is an issue.
Carlton supporters whinging after how many top 10 picks? Bombers fans whinging because they got penalised for being drug cheats. Melbourne supporters - see Carlton. Cats supporters complaining about the state of the game when Wells has kept trading out picks to maintain the list. I tell you what's lacking -
All these commentators who played for opposition clubs, or have championed their team like fan boys in the media, all these supporters who can't handle Richmonds success, they lack an emotional IQ where they can internally reflect and look within. Rather than be honest with themselves, what we are seeing is this toys out of the cot stuff, where rather than respect success and strive to be better, we now have this view of cutting success down and dragging successful organisations down to their level.
It's pathetic. And I hope like hell we win the flag and we jag Lynch.
The AFL is all about equalisation. We all play under the same rules. It would be refreshing to read or hear just once journalists or supporters be honest with themselves about their clubs and drill down as to why they are screw ups.
gonna 8peat m8

michael huthence said it best “bitter tear taste so sweet”

Gill.

A mate and I were talking about the AFL and the corporatisation/globalisation of the game and the tampering and rules changes to make it more watchable. After a big rant, he looked at me and said "never thought I'd say this, but I miss Demetriou". Funny thing is, I tend to agree with him.
Yeah...reckon under Demetriou and now Gil the AFL has become full bore fascist...
All the media is controlled...it's all ranting/foaming nonsense directed outward from the AFL...
No media scrutiny ever shines inwards on the AFL...
All the maggotts/lickspittles are umpiring the games according to the letter of the law...evening up the games for interesting tv
All the commentators are from the old boys club...explayers and wannabes...sorry Caro!
Maggotts have no independent media voice...
Players are controlled by the clubs so as not to offend the AFL in any shape or form...
Everything is beholden to the AFL...nothing gets past them without their fingerprints all over it!
**** it's like a mainstream political party! Totally dis connected to the general public and their needs!

So, here we are, 37 years out of the wilderness, and it has happened. We have broken the AFL.
Just to clarify, it was ok for the AFL to intervene and move Lockett up north. It was ok for Ottens to leave us and go to Geelong. It was ok when we were "Richmondy", 9th mond, Richmung. It was ok when the Hawks were master recruiters taking a Frawley from a clearly flying Melbourne at the time, and Lake from the Dogs. Buddy and Tippett going to Sydney was fine.
It was ok for us to have the worst list since Fitzroy in 1996 when Hardwick took over and then had to rebuild through compromised drafts where we saw the birth of GC and GWS. It was ok when we were losing finals.
But hey, now, we have a problem. Richmond win a flag and now we have to have massive rule changes. Richmond win a flag and free agency is an issue.
Carlton supporters whinging after how many top 10 picks? Bombers fans whinging because they got penalised for being drug cheats. Melbourne supporters - see Carlton. Cats supporters complaining about the state of the game when Wells has kept trading out picks to maintain the list. I tell you what's lacking -
All these commentators who played for opposition clubs, or have championed their team like fan boys in the media, all these supporters who can't handle Richmonds success, they lack an emotional IQ where they can internally reflect and look within. Rather than be honest with themselves, what we are seeing is this toys out of the cot stuff, where rather than respect success and strive to be better, we now have this view of cutting success down and dragging successful organisations down to their level.
It's pathetic. And I hope like hell we win the flag and we jag Lynch.
The AFL is all about equalisation. We all play under the same rules. It would be refreshing to read or hear just once journalists or supporters be honest with themselves about their clubs and drill down as to why they are screw ups.

Calm down mate ay

latest

Gill.

Unlike most I thought Demetrius was quite good. I’ve always thought, however, that McLaughlin is a flog. He is a weaselly, pandering insincere flog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, there was plenty of noise about Frawley and tippet, and the Buddy move pissed off the league enough that they took their cola away. Nobody cared about lake because we all thought he was finished.
Other than that, I agree whole heartedly.

i've been asked why i stayed a tigers fan through all the years. All the derision and then the pity, decades of darkness.

well,
it wasn't the club i was proud of, no, too many bad decisions
it wasn't the players i was proud of, no, too many wasted talents

it was the fans who never, ever, ever gave in.
that's what i'm proud of

i've been asked why i stayed a tigers fan through all the years. All the derision and then the pity, decades of darkness.

well,
it wasn't the club i was proud of, no, too many bad decisions
it wasn't the players i was proud of, no, too many wasted talents

it was the fans who never, ever, ever gave in.
that's what i'm proud of
Thank you...i just hung in there...;):)

And another thing, those of you in particular who supported the club in the 80's and 90's, remember the disdain we would cop from Essendon, Hawk, Geelong, Melbourne and Carlton supporters? Some of these supporters like Carlton are now the same ones crying and moaning about how Carlton is so s**t that their kids don't support their club. It's called karma you campaigners. You expect us to show empathy and sympathy to your cause? Mate, we stuck fat and copped all the s**t, and we have come out on top. I hope all your kids become tiger supporters.
I was one of very few Tigers at a large secondary college in Essendon in the 80s totally surrounded by pious a-hole bomber fans and i copped it year after year
1980 seemed like a distant and fading memory having to endure the success of other clubs
37 years is a very ling time to wait and all these oppo deadshits can say whatever as it will never change the way i feel about my club and its members and supporters
Richmond deserve to be where they are because the people who run the joint did ask the questions got their answers and executed the outcome
Great OP cb17
Carna Tiges

They’re now considering reducing the list size and the number of coaches allowed, because apparently AFL is ‘over coached’

Well that’s it people, if that gets through this sport is never going to be a professional sport.

Notice how many media match commentators there are per game? 7 ? 8? Seriously 7 or 8? They should start there I reckon.

Yeah...reckon under Demetriou and now Gil the AFL has become full bore fascist...
All the media is controlled...it's all ranting/foaming nonsense directed outward from the AFL...
No media scrutiny ever shines inwards on the AFL...
All the maggotts/lickspittles are umpiring the games according to the letter of the law...evening up the games for interesting tv
All the commentators are from the old boys club...explayers and wannabes...sorry Caro!
Maggotts have no independent media voice...
Players are controlled by the clubs so as not to offend the AFL in any shape or form...
Everything is beholden to the AFL...nothing gets past them without their fingerprints all over it!
**** it's like a mainstream political party! Totally dis connected to the general public and their needs!

I think you make some good points in here because when you watch the lower level games on NITV, for instance, a lot of the stupid rules, such as deliberate out-of-bounds or holding the ball, don't seem to be enforced and the game, in my opinion, is better for it

I think you make some good points in here because when you watch the lower level games on NITV, for instance, a lot of the stupid rules, such as deliberate out-of-bounds or holding the ball, don't seem to be enforced and the game, in my opinion, is better for it

Love watching the NT Thunder on NITV. And the VFL. And my local team getting spanked in Div 2 of the Southern Footy Netball League.

Footy's much bigger than the AFL and I get less interested in the 17 other AFL teams with each rule change.

Well said cb17, many foreshadowed the universe couldn’t handle y&b domination , seemingly they were right. I sit back at ease that we are in good hands with those in charge setting us up for a Manchester United like dynasty , To be continued

You can smell the fear

i reckon there would be more media pundits commentating on the game in tv/radio/print than all the afl coaches and players combined

that’s where the glut is, footy media is bigger than the game itself, and thus the game is lost forever, footy media is now the game

Hear ! Hear ! One of your best rants ever. In fact this is the best rant thread ever.

The hypocrisy of AFL is amazing. All these bleaters and whingers moaning about the game and or performance of sh*t clubs and how we have to turn everything upside down to "fix" it. We fixed ourselves- on our own. Everyone else should too. Carlscum, GC, Brisbane etc. They should fix themselves as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back