" The Last Dance "

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparison posts and discussion regarding Michael Jordan vs Lebron/Lebrone James are now contained here

WELCOME TO THE LAST DANCE

last-dance.jpg

Last edited:
Both for me

He was frustrated clearly but as it’s a team sport I think maybe it could’ve been done differently

Doesn’t tarnish him at all in my eyes

Also how soothing is Scotties voice
? 😊

Have you listened to Lowes podcast? He says the same thing!

Do you feel pippen was selfish?

Or was he just human and vulnerable?
Krause must have known that was a bad contract for Pippen, and in a way took advantage of Pippen in regards to how poor his family was. I mean to be the 122nd highest paid player was ridiculous. Even Longley was paid more. Krause should have re-negotiated.

If Pippen had a bad injury that was it, his one and only contract.

I know it’s been discussed a million times but why couldn’t Portland have played Jordan and Drexler together. I know it was a different time and big men were more important but high in the draft is bpa not need

I know it’s been discussed a million times but why couldn’t Portland have played Jordan and Drexler together. I know it was a different time and big men were more important but high in the draft is bpa not need

Here is portlands roster. Other than Fat and Johns brother Jim there's not too much going on. Interestingly enough cylde was a rookie and they invested in him, I know sometimes i used drexler a a SF in previous incarnations of nba live. But yeah, dunno. Maybe it was like when the tigers picked fiona over paclich cause we had richo, ben holland and benny gale, we had enough of a certain position already.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 11.59.06 am.png

Krause must have known that was a bad contract for Pippen, and in a way took advantage of Pippen in regards to how poor his family was. I mean to be the 122nd highest paid player was ridiculous. Even Longley was paid more. Krause should have re-negotiated.

If Pippen had a bad injury that was it, his one and only contract.

Definitely should have but Reinsdorf was categoric when he said contracts aren’t to renegotiated.
I can see where Pippen was coming from in the terms of the contract being longer but by the sounds of it he may have got the same value over shorter term. His manager has a lot to answer for in the negotiations. Horrible set of circumstances.

They were not more important, they were critical. It happens that the few years after Jordan was drafted the league standard suddenly went to players playing above the rim, and then above all but the top tier of centers. Wilt Chamberlain started 30 years of must-have size in the paint, and Jordan et al changed the league dynamic. And now Curry turned us into a bunch of 3pt shooters.

Well if you smoke 6 cigars a day and drink scotch like it’s going out of fashion, I’d be suprised if his eyes are the least of his worries
Let's recall together that he said he did not smoke, drink (didnt say he didnt do drugs)....so i guess he's making up for lsot time

Teams still draft need over BPA to this day. Can't really blame them for doing it in 1984

And you're right, big men were still the bees knees back then

Portland did the right thing and passed on him - although in hindsight it was a terrible mistake

No one, not even the best minds had that high of a ceiling for Jordan - if so teams would of moved heaven and earth to trade up to a Top 3 pick

Drexler was a great guard and in a league where big mans were critical, they made the right decision at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Portland did the right thing and passed on him - although in hindsight it was a terrible mistake

No one, not even the best minds had that high of a ceiling for Jordan - if so teams would of moved heaven and earth to trade up to a Top 3 pick

Drexler was a great guard and in a league where big mans were critical, they made the right decision at the time.
I agree. also sam copped a lot of injuries early in his career

Here is portlands roster. Other than Fat and Johns brother Jim there's not too much going on. Interestingly enough cylde was a rookie and they invested in him, I know sometimes i used drexler a a SF in previous incarnations of nba live. But yeah, dunno. Maybe it was like when the tigers picked fiona over paclich cause we had richo, ben holland and benny gale, we had enough of a certain position already.

View attachment 861930

Sam Bowie was much hyped coming out of college, and during his first 3 years, he didn't do too badly, averaging around 13-14ppg and 8rpg.
It's just that was pretty much his career output, he didn't elevate or improve significantly and injuries intervened.

If you look at that Portland roster, there's bugger all under the basket, Thompson and Cooper weren't anything special, and both were nearing 30, and the NBA was a big mans game in the early 80s, the era of Kareem, Walton, Moses Malone, Parish, teams wanted dominant centres. The rise of Ewing, Olajuwon, Ralph Sampson (although he proved to be a bust) etc came out of the mid-80s drafts.

Portland selected to their needs of the time.

I hope one of the episodes flashes back to the 1987/88 season, Jordan played all 82 games and averaged 37.1ppg, won his first MVP award, and was also Allstar game MVP, with the game itself played in Chicago. He became the only player in NBA history to win both the scoring title and the Defensive Player of the Year award. He is also the only player in NBA history to combine these awards with the season's Most Valuable Player award.

That was his breakout year.

Jordan played all 82 games and averaged 37.1ppg, won his first MVP award, and was also Allstar game MVP, with the game itself played in Chicago. He became the only player in NBA history to win both the scoring title and the Defensive Player of the Year award. He is also the only player in NBA history to combine these awards with the season's Most Valuable Player award.

I guess a breakout year is one way to describe it

I hope one of the episodes flashes back to the 1987/88 season, Jordan played all 82 games and averaged 37.1ppg, won his first MVP award, and was also Allstar game MVP, with the game itself played in Chicago. He became the only player in NBA history to win both the scoring title and the Defensive Player of the Year award. He is also the only player in NBA history to combine these awards with the season's Most Valuable Player award.

You're getting your seasons mixed up.

86/87 was the year he averaged 37.1ppg.

Also when a guy walks in and averages 28/6/6 in his rookie season, he doesn't need a break out season.

Yeah he “claimed”

Bulls probably would of accepted that at the time if that was offered.

More than one person suggested the trade was on the table.

“I thought I had a deal with (former owner) Jonathon Kovler of the Bulls for the third pick,” Katz told Pat Williams, the Sixers’ general manager at the time.

Other trades....

"In the week leading up to the draft, the Bulls had discussions with both the Los Angeles Clippers and the Atlanta Hawks, as well as with one other team, for a big man. On the Hawks side, it was center Tree Rollins – a 7’1" defensive stud who, while he averaged just 8.6 points and 7.7 rebounds, blocked 3.6 shots per game in the 1983-1984 season. On the Clippers front, though, the player was much better and much more impactful. Perhaps that’s why the Bulls were listening for as long as they did. "

"According to the June 17, 1984 edition of the Chicago Tribune, the Bulls were talking with the Seattle SuperSonics about trading for center Jack Sikma before those talks ultimately broke down. When they did, they readjusted their focus and set their sights on Clippers big man Terry Cummings – a 6’9" power forward who was the second pick in the 1982 NBA Draft and averaged just over 23 points per game in his first two seasons in the league. Cummings was born and raised in Chicago – even going to Carver High School, which is roughly just 20 miles away from the United Center – before ultimately heading off to Chicago-based DePaul University for college. In a proposed three-team deal between the Bulls, Clippers, and Dallas Mavericks, Cummings would have been shipped off to Chicago and the third overall pick might have been coming back to Los Angeles. That deal, unfortunately, fell through and the Clippers were unsuccessful in their first attempt to possibly acquire Michael Jordan. "

Source - https://www.clipsnation.com/2015/9/17/9333995/michael-jordan-and-the-trades-that-didnt-happen

Anyway, while no one thought he was going to be the GOAT, he was highly regarded. Two time college player of the year types are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back