" The Last Dance "

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparison posts and discussion regarding Michael Jordan vs Lebron/Lebrone James are now contained here

WELCOME TO THE LAST DANCE

last-dance.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for the Howie podcast with Luc Longley. Its a great listen for bit over an hour, and you get a lot more from Longley than the handful of soundbites the other Bulls from 96-99 are getting in the doco.

Its the eve of the last 2 episodes and I really hope they show us more behind the scenes footage. The game highlights are everywhere. I don't need to watch Jordan strip Malone in the low post then go up the other end to hit "that shot" for the millionth time. I came into this doco hearing that we'd see the raw footage of Jordan being a complete campaigner to his teammates, but after 8 episodes I can barely fault him. I guess anything really nasty Jordan made the producers edit it out. Just wish we saw how savage he was to his teammates at practice, the way he treated Krause, etc.

I feel a bit sorry for Pippen. He had a tough upbringing, wanted to look after his family so agreed to that long-term contract that severely undervalued his talents. He watched lesser teammates around him earn more money, knew he would never get out of Jordans shadow. And when Jordan retires allowing Scottie to be the clutch man in big games, Phil Jackson ran the play for young kid Kukoc. No way if Jordan was on the team would Jackson run the play for someone else. It was Michael, and then if someone else was wide open then plan b pass it off. Scotties in the moment tantrum is understandable IMO. Undervalued, underappreciated, and then the ball taken out of his hands for a younger less experienced player to hit the game winner.

Then after Jordan returns the GM tested the open market to trade Pippen if a good offer came along. It was like 1 hit after the next really. Pippen delaying his surgery during the post-season of 98 meaning he missed a huge part of the last dance season shows he still struggled with feeling valued within that organization. Its understandable too.
It happen!!! Game 5 of 1998 Finals Kukoc has 31 points & Phil draws up championship winning shot for him - look what Jordan does;

really the only player you can compare with jordan by position is bryant. in terms of personality and what they have done its very hard to separate them but many will still say jordan was a freak and wins hands down.

the ending of episode eight. that was hard to watch

Am I wrong in saying that the moment basketball really took off in Oz was the Trail Blazers v Bulls series of 1992. Particularly the first and last games of the series. I think I taped game 1 on vhs. But I remember game 1 and game 6 being replayed for several weekends after the series win after video hits finished.

I can’t recall If the lakers series from 91’ got that much mainstream coverage.

Last edited:
Am I wrong in saying that the moment basketball really took off in Oz was the Trail Blazers v Bulls series of 1992. Particularly the first and last games of the series. I think I taped game 1 on vhs. But I remember game 1 and game 6 being replayed for several weekends after the series win after video hits finished.

Sounds about right.

91 finals series was on ABC Friday nights around 9 or 10pm. I still have them on VHS somewhere.

Channel 10 took over around 1992 with Bill Woods and Steve Carfino on Saturday arvos.

I remember playing in a Queen's birthday tournament in 1993 and there was a big buzz around that game 3 of the finals was going to be the first ever live broadcast in Australia. Probably didn't hurt that it happened to be one of the greatest games in the history of the league.

There were a few things happening around this time: the Dream Team, NBA broadcasts moving to commercial TV (think this also happened in the 1991-92 season), the first ever Australian drafted in the first round, NBL was blowing up (with the introduction of Rod Laver Arena as an NBL venue, Melbourne/North Melbourne/SE Melbourne derbies routinely attracted 15,000), Shaq's debut, the explosion of basketball cards in the same season as Shaq's debut, at a stretch even something like the Fab Five (no-one was following college basketball in Australia at the time, but it was undeniable what the Fab Five did in terms of what kids wore at the time). All of this happened between 1991 and 1993.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is real consensus from this documentary for those who haven’t seen it that MJ was an a-hole sort of player, but i just found him mostly humble and patient, never raised his voice Much and if he did it was jokingly or to make a real point. I walked away after watching this thinking MJ, Pippen and Rodman are 3 cool cats, nice, humble, calm albeit confident basketball players. MJ showed leadership and loyalty, sure he could banter during practice, but for the majority of the time, all very easy going, including Phil Jackson, who was into the Zen practice etc..

They show the clips on YouTube of MJ being harsh, but it lacks the context of the documentary. He started to banter with players because Pippen was out with surgery and Rodman was out of form, and MJ was probably feeling burnt out with the expectations of the city of Chicago on his shoulder. It’s all just context and if anything he was just naturally reacting to his own unique situations that he faced with that team and the adrenaline of having to hold it together.

MJ just seems like one of the dudes who likes fun, probably quiet and humble, likes music, but has the weight of his own sheer talent always around him.

perceptions are often very wrong and the last dance has a lot to digest.

Last edited:
I thought MJ came across as intense and a bit of a loner. Similar to Jimmy Butler now. You can like him or not, like his methods or not, but he's 100% driven by getting the most out of himself and the most out of those around him. He (Jordan) was happy to call out his early teammates for being party boys, Horace Grant I think it was for leaking info to the press, teammates for not being hard enough in practice etc. and it wasn't to create scandal, it was his brand of perfectionism. He would be a *en nightmare to play board games with.

I thought MJ came across as intense and a bit of a loner. Similar to Jimmy Butler now. You can like him or not, like his methods or not, but he's 100% driven by getting the most out of himself and the most out of those around him. He (Jordan) was happy to call out his early teammates for being party boys, Horace Grant I think it was for leaking info to the press, teammates for not being hard enough in practice etc. and it wasn't to create scandal, it was his brand of perfectionism. He would be a fu**en nightmare to play board games with.

Can't imagine it would have been fun losing money to him at poker.

For those interested, I see that on Australian Story on the ABC next week the have Luc Longley, the ad showed Jordan speaking about him a few times also Jackson , Pippen et al.

NBA singlets being sold at sports stores:

32 Lakers
23 Bulls
33 Bulls
33 Celtics
50 Spurs
32 Magic
33 Hornets
33 Knicks
34 Suns

40 Sonics
2 Hornets
31 Pacers
55 Nuggets
1 Magic

I reckon the most popular teams in the mid 90s were the Bulls, Magic and Hornets. The big teams of the 1980s would've had latent support but they weren't 'cool' in the 90s the way those teams were. I remember going into Myer and there would be whole racks of Penny, Kemp, Shaq, Jordan etc. jerseys hanging up. Then if you went to Kmart there would be cheaper stuff of a handful of teams. When the Raptors and Grizzlies came in I vaguely recall seeing a push on the Raptors stuff (mid 90s dino nostalgia) but the Grizz not so much.

It's definitely propaganda.

Not mentioning Kukoc's game 7 against the Pacers was pretty criminal.

Game 5 Kukoc had 31 points & the hot hand. Phil drew up final shot for Kukoc, but mj stole inbound & jacked up 3 point miss. Ppl remember Pippen & Kukoc incident - it's all narrative

Remove this Banner Ad

Back