Club History The last finals match held at the SCG - "I see it but I don't believe it!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
9 September 2005 - Sydney Swans 7.14 (56) def. Geelong Cats 7.11 (53)
SCG: 39,079

The night Nick Davis entered AFL folklore with a 4 goal final quarter. Cam Mooney still says it was the best atmosphere he's ever played in front of, despite being a part of the opposition. The roar from the crowd when Nick Davis kicks the winning goal is spine tingling. Ten years on and it's still just as exhilarating to watch. If you've somehow forgotten, here it is:

great game, pity roos treated davis like crap most of the time.

I remember thinking we had it lost in the last quarter

I enjoy watching it though the first 3 quarters are awful footy

Id much rather watch the 2012 premiership side play as a rule than the 2005

God damn that was a great day and I loved being there.

There were a hell of a lot of people who left near the start of the last quarter who only heard the result on the way home. Never leave before the final siren.... win, lose or draw.

except last year in one game i left with 5 mins to go even though i said i never would, but gloating hawks fans are too much for this little black duck

except last year in one game i left with 5 mins to go even though i said i never would, but gloating hawks fans are too much for this little black duck
It's tough to ride it out (try supporting Melbourne recently!) but it does make the wins all that much more enjoyable.

I know how you feel. Last year only walked out of probably the same game. Would've died if I was in there when the siren went

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyway we should ban all talk of that game in this thread. I remember the 2005 finals series quite well, it was just surreal.

Going down by a less than a kick in the west the week before just added to the drama of that Geelong game. I thought we were a sneaky chance at three quarter time despite having played like crap as we were only three goals down at the last change, but Geelong's pressure was incredible, it looked like they would just manage to keep us out until Davo did his thing. I did not expect us to score from that final stoppage.

Sanecow

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
It was broadcast delayed in WA so I switched on the radio late in the game to be put out of my misery. I listened to it live, then rang my parents to warn them not to switch it off. Turns out that they had already had an argument about the wasted season, switched it off and gone to different rooms, lulz. They didn't believe me, I had to be quite insistent that they turn it back on.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I drove up all day. Got there at about 5pm and wandered around somewhat.

when the game started my main recollection was - why is it so goddamn wet ? Like every other swans supporter (particularly those who had watched the swans st kilda finals game in 2004) I was quite well aware that a wet track was like kryptonite to the swans. what the f were people thinking watering the ground ?

I thought we were in trouble when crouch got pinged for not looking at the ball in a spoil on the goal line.

i hadnt given up hope even when they kicked the goal to go 23 points up.

The noise at the final goal has been equalled a few times in my life - the penalty by aloisi/goal by bresciano against uruguay a few months later and the goal by goodes just after three quarter time in the 2006 gf but watching the game again on tv afterwards showed what a horrible game it was aleviated only by the closeness of the result.

My friend and I went to rosehill racecourse the following day and had a decent punt on an omen bet which came up

http://www.racing.com/form/2005-09-10/rosehill-gardens/race/7/results

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
was there for that one, rather drunk behind the left point post that end. Remember having a go at loser swans fans leaving early. ha, imagine being in the car listening to what there missing!

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
was there for that one, rather drunk behind the left point post that end. Remember having a go at loser swans fans leaving early. ha, imagine being in the car listening to what there missing!

I was completely maggoted after giving up, didn't leave but i remember a kind old gent inform where just two goals behind now. after i'd lost my ability to count.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was completely maggoted after giving up, didn't leave but i remember a kind old gent inform where just two goals behind now. after i'd lost my ability to count.
Was anyone in the stadium sober? ;)

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Whenever im bored and unmotivated at work I watch it on YouTube to give me a boost. Without a doubt the greatest non premiership moment for our club.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
It's a decade since we last hosted a semi-final in Sydney after losing a Perth QF, so I plugged in my 2005 souvenir DVD and watched the second half of Sydney v Geelong at the SCG. It's like sitting through a much-loved but plodding movie just to get to the electric finish.

I'd almost forgotten that the SCG ground staff had mysteriously watered the turf before the game. But I was right in remembering we'd played quite well in the third quarter and probably would have been in front but for butchering it in front of goal (like we never do now). We won the quarter 1.6 to 1.3. Three-quarter time score: 3:12 to 6:11.

But the best thing, apart from the Nicky D extravaganza, was the perfectly-timed shutting down of Malcolm Blight. He spent the third quarter calling for Goodes into the ruck, Hall into the ruck, Kennelly on the ball and, if I recall Leo Barry on the ball as well.

He was literally and I mean literally half-way through saying “they're not going to get anywhere like this” when Davis collected the ball for his first goal and commentator (Michael Christian?) had to cut him off to call the play. “They've still got to kick another four more,” he whinged after the goal, forgetting the margin was already just three goals but setting himself up perfectly to be mocked for posterity.

Thinking about it, Blight's penchant for stunts which worked in the semi-pro era just would never cut it in today's professional footy. No wonder he's no longer in demand.

For anyone who needs a rev-up before this Saturday's game, the Nicky D show worked for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back