Club History The last finals match held at the SCG - "I see it but I don't believe it!"

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
RtcGUUs.jpg

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
In that final moment when Davis kicks it and everyone goes up you'll notice the camera work goes incredibly wobbly. That's because Swan fans literally shook the entire stand when we went up in celebration, think it was mentioned on one of radio/tv calls, they couldn't believe it.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
First time I've ever seen footy fans crying in joy. It was the most emotional game I'd ever been at. The despair of watching us kick 3.12 just had us all primed for a ferocious reaction to whatever was going to happen in that last quarter, and boy did the crowd lift when given the chance.

Huddo's call was "I see it but I don't believe it". Too right. I actually missed the siren. I didn't even know it was over. Couldn't believe we'd won even when the crowd was going ballistic around me. I was actually behind the point post at the Davis end of the ground and had no idea it even went in for a goal. We'd all been screaming like girls in a 60's Beatles concert for half an hour at every little thing that happened. I couldn't even be sure Davis got that last goal. I actually turned to my mate and begged him to tell me it was all true.

I literally saw it from 20m away and did not believe it! :D

(Huddo's call BTW is one of the most memorable in AR history in my opinion)

The cheer that night was to date also the loudest I've ever heard. It was primal. So easy to forget what a cauldron the SCG can become. Had some great moments following sport, but it's those moments when the crowd is so loud your vision distorts that stick in the memory banks.

Reactions after the game were so memorable. At the end of the game there an old bloke with tears running down his face. He started telling he'd followed South since he was a boy. But he couldn't really talk. Meanwhile, I was hugging and kissing complete strangers. My mate threw away his hat when the siren went. A girl behind me threw her mobile phone away. It was just chaos.

Turns out my future wife was at the ground that night attending her first Swans game. She was apparently in the same area of the concourse too. For all I know I kissed her without even knowing that night.

What a night.

Carn bloods!

Last edited:

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
9 September 2005 - Sydney Swans 7.14 (56) def. Geelong Cats 7.11 (53)
SCG: 39,079

The night Nick Davis entered AFL folklore with a 4 goal final quarter. Cam Mooney still says it was the best atmosphere he's ever played in front of, despite being a part of the opposition. The roar from the crowd when Nick Davis kicks the winning goal is spine tingling. Ten years on and it's still just as exhilarating to watch. If you've somehow forgotten, here it is:

This is what the AFL misses out on playing us at ANZ. QED

kneecapper

Club Legend
Jun 1, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
First time I've ever seen footy fans crying in joy. It was the most emotional game I'd ever been at. The despair of watching us kick 3.12 just had us all primed for a ferocious reaction to whatever was going to happen in that last quarter, and boy did the crowd lift when given the chance.

Huddo's call was "I see it but I don't believe it". Too right. I actually missed the siren. I didn't even know it was over. Couldn't believe we'd won even when the crowd was going ballistic around me. I was actually behind the point post at the Davis end of the ground and had no idea it even went in for a goal. We'd all been screaming like girls in a 60's Beatles concert for half an hour at every little thing that happened. I couldn't even be sure Davis got that last goal. I actually turned to my mate and begged him to tell me it was all true.

I literally saw it from 20m away and did not believe it! :D

(Huddo's call BTW is one of the most memorable in AR history in my opinion)

The cheer that night was to date also the loudest I've ever heard. It was primal. So easy to forget what a cauldron the SCG can become. Had some great moments following sport, but it's those moments when the crowd is so loud your vision distorts that stick in the memory banks.

Reactions after the game were so memorable. At the end of the game there an old bloke with tears running down his face. He started telling he'd followed South since he was a boy. But he couldn't really talk. Meanwhile, I was hugging and kissing complete strangers. My mate threw away his hat when the siren went. A girl behind me threw her mobile phone away. It was just chaos.

Turns out my future wife was at the ground that night attending her first Swans game. She was apparently in the same area of the concourse too. For all I know I kissed her without even knowing that night.

Then we all jumped the fence (something which just doesn't happen anymore).

What a night.

Carn bloods!
Worth remembering too that Huddo is a massive Geelong supporter, which makes his call even more remarkable. Not sure I could show such class and professionalism if I was watching the Swans getting knocked out of the finals in a last second heartbreaker.

MF

Good Poster, s**t Bloke
Sep 10, 2006
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Worth remembering too that Huddo is a massive Geelong supporter, which makes his call even more remarkable. Not sure I could show such class and professionalism if I was watching the Swans getting knocked out of the finals in a last second heartbreaker.

If it was the swans on the receiving end and I was calling the game my "Capital C" wouldn't have been for "Class"

Huddo is a great caller.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
If it was the swans on the receiving end and I was calling the game my "Capital C" wouldn't have been for "Class"

Huddo is a great caller.

Re: your first point, lol.

Re: your second point, too right. He's seemingly one of the few commentators left on television who understands that it's not about him and his mates' horrid banter. And it's not about fabricated excitement. Taylor, Darcy, McGuire, Russell being the cases in point.

Just call the action naturally and if you have a talent for communication and an inate ability to express yourself clearly, you'll be able to make it exciting. Whateley does it, Tim Lane was always one of my favourites and Anthony Hudson is great at it too. Clinton Grybas was fantastic as well.

Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
76ers
In that final moment when Davis kicks it and everyone goes up you'll notice the camera work goes incredibly wobbly. That's because Swan fans literally shook the entire stand when we went up in celebration, think it was mentioned on one of radio/tv calls, they couldn't believe it.

The loudest I've heard a Sydney crowd. It was amazing and probably my 3rd fav swans moment, after winning the 05/12 GFs. I can't believe he a runner for the swans now after being notably lazy throughout his career :p

dangle

Team Captain
Nov 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers, OKC Thunder
I was close! It was hard but I had to do it. Hopefully I'm back there this year and the experience is totally different.

Turns out I'm gonna be back this this year and the the experience will be totally different o_O

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So, here we are - 11 years later and Sydney find themselves in a semi-final that will be hosted at the SCG. The last time this happened the Swans went on to follow that victory with two wins at the MCG which ended in a premiership. Will lightning strike twice in 11 years?

So, here we are - 11 years later and Sydney find themselves in a semi-final that will be hosted at the SCG. The last time this happened the Swans went on to follow that victory with two wins at the MCG which ended in a premiership. Will lightning strike twice in 11 years?
Yes.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
9 September 2005 - Sydney Swans 7.14 (56) def. Geelong Cats 7.11 (53)
SCG: 39,079

The night Nick Davis entered AFL folklore with a 4 goal final quarter. Cam Mooney still says it was the best atmosphere he's ever played in front of, despite being a part of the opposition. The roar from the crowd when Nick Davis kicks the winning goal is spine tingling. Ten years on and it's still just as exhilarating to watch. If you've somehow forgotten, here it is:

I don't think any Swans supporter will ever forget where they were and what they were doing when they saw him kick it. For me, it went through so slow, like the Malceski sealer in 2012.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
They played it in Fox last night.

I was at the College Lawn in Prahran. Barry Stoneham was there also.

All night he stood behind me. Tapping my shoulder. "It's perceived pressure, mate. Perceived pressure." Over and over.

Drove me crazy. Then the siren went and I turned to shake his hand. He was across the other side of the bar.

Can't say I blame him to be honest.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I watched that last night.
Kirk was brilliant. Can't help but think that those guys were the true representation of what Bloods culture was about.
Leo Barry went on to play in the winning GF with 3 depressed fractures in his cheekbone & a fractured eye socket. Wow!

I honestly can't say that our current team has earned that title yet. 4 finals losses with the worst being the 2014 GF gives you no entitlement to the Bloods tag! It's an insult to the team that represented us in 2005 & 2006!

Now I will follow that up with this. We look hurt & sore.
The time to shine is now. I want to see these guys claw their way through a match no matter how many mistakes they make during a game.
That Nick Davis game was riddled with errors but each & every player made up for them with some brutally hard hitting. This current lot as a group is more talented, but lack their predecessors hardness for 4 quarters.

It is why I doubt them at this point because the last 4 finals, 2014 being the biggest, have done nothing to allow me to feel differently.
Make your own Bloods history this week against Adelaide boys because right now, the Bloods label doesn't fit & has been put into storage!
Now go get it back!

TripleB

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I remember sitting forlorn in the old Noble Stand at 3/4 time, talking to my mate and bemoaning the fact that we were ******* robbed the previous week in Perth with that atrocious reversal to Stenglein after he moved off the mark to initiate contact with Leo. We then had to fly back from Perth and at that stage it appeared the whole exercise had proven too much and we were about to go out in straight sets.

Enter Nick Davis....

I watched that last night.
Kirk was brilliant. Can't help but think that those guys were the true representation of what Bloods culture was about.
Leo Barry went on to play in the winning GF with 3 depressed fractures in his cheekbone & a fractured eye socket. Wow!

I honestly can't say that our current team has earned that title yet. 4 finals losses with the worst being the 2014 GF gives you no entitlement to the Bloods tag! It's an insult to the team that represented us in 2005 & 2006!

Now I will follow that up with this. We look hurt & sore.
The time to shine is now. I want to see these guys claw their way through a match no matter how many mistakes they make during a game.
That Nick Davis game was riddled with errors but each & every player made up for them with some brutally hard hitting. This current lot as a group is more talented, but lack their predecessors hardness for 4 quarters.

It is why I doubt them at this point because the last 4 finals, 2014 being the biggest, have done nothing to allow me to feel differently.
Make your own Bloods history this week against Adelaide boys because right now, the Bloods label doesn't fit & has been put into storage!
Now go get it back!

I think the 2013-2015 side is a different side really to this years

yes still a lot of the same core but been quite a transition year this year

Back