Club History The last finals match held at the SCG - "I see it but I don't believe it!"

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
It was that time you just knew the flag was ours and we were going to be very hard to beat

Really? We played very poorly on the night up to the last quarter, if we had played like that against the Saints in the prelim we would have been flogged. At no point in time during that season did I truly think the flag was ours until after the siren blew on grand final day. 2005 was absolutely incredible, but there has been a lot of revisionist history about it.

This is the one game I did not attend but wish I was at. I remember watching it on TV and the talk was all about sprinklers or something and we played like crap, if not for Sir Nick we would not have the 2005 premiership. He should really go down as one of the most influential Swans of all time, all for 1 qtr's work.

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
The cheer that night was to date also the loudest I've ever heard. It was primal. So easy to forget what a cauldron the SCG can become. Had some great moments following sport, but it's those moments when the crowd is so loud your vision distorts that stick in the memory banks.

What a night.

Carn bloods!

While we've had some great moments at ANZ (2012 Prelim Final for one, the TDL Carlton final is another that sticks in my mind), getting back to the SCG on Saturday I think will be a real boost for everyone at the club, and I hope we get to see the cauldron effect return - it could be what we need to get over the line.

All I hope the club does is play the footage of the couple of minutes of the build up to the last goal in the few minutes before the start of the game (I know its quite often in the '60 second' countdown bit) - if that can't get the crowd pumped for what could be a tough and tense night, nothing will.

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think any Swans supporter will ever forget where they were and what they were doing when they saw him kick it. For me, it went through so slow, like the Malceski sealer in 2012.

I wasn't lucky enough to be at the SCG in '05, but I do remember it so well. I was in year 12 at school, playing in the orchestra for a musical at the time of the finals. Back in the day of the old Nokia 3120 CDMA phone (my parents still have terrible phone coverage) I was sending every 5/10 minutes during breaks in the show for the little SMS updates for scores.

The show finished a bit after half time - when I'd given up hope pretty much on the basis of what had been seen score wise. We managed to find radio coverage of it for the 25km trip home , and got home just after the 3 quarter time siren.... I was disgusted and almost went to bed - but Dad told me in quite stern words 'I didn't drive home that bludy quick for you to go to bed' and we sat down and witnessed one of the most thrilling quarters of footy you would ever see.

Even my dad, who is not a big afl fan at all was going delirious late in that last quarter - and it really did feel like time stopped still when Davis kicked the winner.

I was lucky enough to be there in 2012 - and it felt like it took an eternity from when it left Malceski's boot to going through. The thing I remember most from where I was sitting (M8 I think it was), was the enormous roar from a guy behind, who obviously had a radio with him - who after the initial roar died down yelled at the very top of his voice - we've ****** done it - 30 seconds on the clock, we are Premiers!!!

Good times!!!

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
I wasn't lucky enough to be at the SCG in '05, but I do remember it so well. I was in year 12 at school, playing in the orchestra for a musical at the time of the finals. Back in the day of the old Nokia 3120 CDMA phone (my parents still have terrible phone coverage) I was sending every 5/10 minutes during breaks in the show for the little SMS updates for scores.

The show finished a bit after half time - when I'd given up hope pretty much on the basis of what had been seen score wise. We managed to find radio coverage of it for the 25km trip home , and got home just after the 3 quarter time siren.... I was disgusted and almost went to bed - but Dad told me in quite stern words 'I didn't drive home that bludy quick for you to go to bed' and we sat down and witnessed one of the most thrilling quarters of footy you would ever see.

Even my dad, who is not a big afl fan at all was going delirious late in that last quarter - and it really did feel like time stopped still when Davis kicked the winner.

I was lucky enough to be there in 2012 - and it felt like it took an eternity from when it left Malceski's boot to going through. The thing I remember most from where I was sitting (M8 I think it was), was the enormous roar from a guy behind, who obviously had a radio with him - who after the initial roar died down yelled at the very top of his voice - we've ****** done it - 30 seconds on the clock, we are Premiers!!!

Good times!!!
Had the same thing happen. Someone yelled out 30 seconds left so we were all up and down celebrating and hugging and high fives before the siren went. When it did go, we went absolutely mental.

Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I was in a long distance relationship with my now wife and she was up visiting from Melbourne that weekend. My mum, brother and his wife went to the game. Mum asked if we wanted to go as well. Obviously I was keen but the other half is a Bombers supporter so we just watched it at the pub with friends.
While it was great to see everyone switch from watching the league on the big TV's to just about the entire pub watching our game on a tiny tele out the back, I'll never forgive her for missing that game.
Not that I'm bitter at all...

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I was despondent at 3/4 time...just leaving a 21st and thought we were ****ed. The missus is Geelong and she was grinning like a Cheshire Cat. Fair to say 30 minutes later, I was ecstatic, she was not and I didn't care about that elusive BJ!

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That's probably my favourite game I've been to, including the 2012 GF. I'm surprised that anyone in the ground gave us a chance after Geelong scored that goal in the last quarter. The whole mood was pretty sombre and the crowd couldn't even muster a Bronx cheer for Davis' first goal, but his second seemed to spark the fans and the roar when he kicked his third was defeaning. No-one in our area at the back of the bay behind the goals (at what really should be called the Davis end) sat back down for the rest of the game and every contest was met with raucous cheers. When the ball somehow managed to float through the big sticks, it was absolute pandemonium and like others have mentioned, almost everyone was in tears of absolute delight. Even just watching the last 5 minutes never fails to ignite those same feelings and I have to hide my ever-wetter eyes from anyone else in the room!

I'm gonna start a thread in the off-season (still a few weeks of yet) for everyone to nominate their ten best Swans memories and I know this will probably feature high on everyone's lists.

Apr 11, 2009
MEL --> ADL
AFL Club
Sydney
I remember watching this with the old man on the old cathode ray tube TV...when Nick Davis kicked the first it was like good, the second it had us hopeful, the third was amazing and well, the fourth had dad and I leap forward right to the TV in amazement and awe of "how did we win that one?".

To this day as a kid it was one of the best wins I have seen...and Nick Davis didn't have a great next two games, but wow he did save it from being 73+ years for the next flag.

mcs095

All Australian
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I got myself pumped up for tomorrow night by watching that last quarter again last night for the first time since probably this time last year. Its so easy to forget just how good that third goal from Nick Davis was - that really was the best of the lot in my book.

The other forgotten hero in that last quarter was Brett Kirk - he was absolutely enormous in so many of the tough contests and hard gets of the ball.

I think my favourite piece of play of the lot was not in fact the final goal of Davis, nor the third, but the immediate piece of play leading up to that fateful ball up. The absolute desperation of firstly Nick Davis and then Barry Hall to get the ball forward, then the couple of chances Crouch almost had, then ROK almost breaking the panic. Absolute manic stuff, and even knowing the end result, its still edge of the seat stuff.

Great commentary from Huddo as well - and in my opinion, the radio call with the late Clynton Grybas (you can find it on youtube) was every bit as epic.

I am officially pumped for tomorrow night - bring on the crows, but I hope its more comfortable than that night 11 years ago!

Back