FTA-TV The Last Kingdom - Netflix

Remove this Banner Ad

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Season 3 dropping today.

Surprised there isn't a thread on it, really enjoyed the first two.

Slightly different to others of this genre around at the moment like Vikings etc, covering a part of history that isn't covered a lot, the 7 Kingdoms of England before their unification.

Have a look, I rate it.

Bernard Cornwell's super anti-Christian tone, while understandable, grates on me more in live action than on the page, especially his implication that the Vikings have a superior moral philosophy.

The "better than barley" scene was top notch though. Also appreciate that the protagonist isn't an anti-hero in the sense that he's grumpy and rude, but that he actually does some shitty things in the show.

I hope the predictable doesn’t happen.

Finished the season, maybe not as many shocking moments as the last 2, probably my least favorite of the 3 seasons to date, but the bar was pretty high. Still really enjoyable.

Highlights of the season for me:

Skade getting dunked, Aethelwold getting hit by the karma bus a couple of times. Felt like Arthurs demise dragged on a bit too long, hopefully season 4 revolves around Uhtred moving more towards retaking Bebbanburg, rather than the continual Wessex plotline. However, I think season 4 is likely to be Uhtred/Aethelflaed/Wessex vs Mercia and potentially within that a Uhtred/Aethelflaed/Aldhelm love triangle

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finished the season, maybe not as many shocking moments as the last 2, probably my least favorite of the 3 seasons to date, but the bar was pretty high. Still really enjoyable.

Highlights of the season for me:

Skade getting dunked, Aethelwold getting hit by the karma bus a couple of times. Felt like Arthurs demise dragged on a bit too long, hopefully season 4 revolves around Uhtred moving more towards retaking Bebbanburg, rather than the continual Wessex plotline. However, I think season 4 is likely to be Uhtred/Aethelflaed/Wessex vs Mercia and potentially within that a Uhtred/Aethelflaed/Aldhelm love triangle
I actually liked Aethelwold but he bit off more than he could chew so he got a fitting end. I’m also glad we won’t see Uhtred doing something minor then Alfred coming down with an over the top punishment anymore.

Crazy that there are only 14 posts on this show. It's the best I've watched in a long time, smashed the first two seasons in ridiculous time then had to wait an eternity for season 3. Parts of S3 were a little down on the previous two, but moments of excellence (such as those mentioned by Pykie) keep it well above not only the GoT knock-offs, but most stuff on TV at the moment.

I enjoyed season 4

I liked S4 too. I don't like to compare it to Vikings, cos the two shows have a very different feel about them, and I think both work well in their own terms.

Weaker season I thought, with plenty of GOT-like time travel going on. Still a hugely enjoyable series with excellent performances and production value, so a lesser season is still better than most.

It's ok but I'm not loving it.

Too many unfeasible events like main characters chance meeting in the middle of the countryside.
Why did the Irish Viking come to save Breeda when he barely knew who she was?
The whole sickness thing that disappeared.
Utredd getting the throne then giving it up to Lady Aethel. Why didn't get they just get married?
Too many Aethels.

Definitely too many Aethels😂, never know who they’re talking about! It’s entertaining though. Favourite scene might have been Utred throwing the decapitated child off the balcony - thought for a moment show had gone GoT in its brutalness but no it was a trick.

Smashed thru this season👍🏼
The beheading of Iseult in Season One was as brutal as anything. Mid battle, simply to piss Uhtred off - messed up.

Definitely too many Aethels😂, never know who they’re talking about! It’s entertaining though. Favourite scene might have been Utred throwing the decapitated child off the balcony - thought for a moment show had gone GoT in its brutalness but no it was a trick.

Smashed thru this season👍🏼

All the battles were good. Eps 9 and 10 were two of the best shows. I like the new character Sigtryggr.

True story - the director of those last two eps was the lead guitarist in the one hit wonder band The Vapors before going on to TV. You can see him jumping around at the 1 minute mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back