PS4 The Last of Us Part II - PS5 Remaster coming Jan 19

Remove this Banner Ad

I get a lot of people genuinely may not have liked the game, it happens, but I also think way too many people love to be outraged and tell everyone about it. Is sometimes more fun to complain and be outraged I guess. Plus if something does not pan out like you wanted it to, it means it must be sh*t.
I saw a discussion about what would of happened if Metal Gear Solid 2 came out now or we had social media back then.

I just hope that all the backlash doesnt have devs not want to take risks with a story they want to tell. or only take risks with new IP's because there will be less backlash since they are not established characters.

How can you not like the game? I can understand not liking the story but the gameplay is phenomenal.
I'm not even a massive fan of the game play. Would prefer a GOW game rather than stealth / 3rd person action shooter.

The story telling in the game is amazing though, even if the story isn't one someone enjoys at the end. You have to respect it for that. The graphics and the original mechanics of how it is told is are brilliant.

How can you not like the game? I can understand not liking the story but the gameplay is phenomenal.

Is it really phenomenal though?

Gameplay is a more polished version of the 1st game, which is nice, but I feel it's dated. It's like I've played games similar to this too many times over this console generation.

I played on Survivor so most times it's just me conserving ammo by looking for the backstab kill, it got old pretty quickly. It's like playing a more polished Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I also feel like I spent way too much time just walking and that got boring real quick in the 2nd half of the game.

All of this is fine is the game was shorter and more tightly paced but this game is long, so the one dimensional gameplay got repetitive real fast

It's a good game but not 10/10 like most reviewers think

If ND are to make a 3rd game they will need to change up the formula a bit don’t know if people will have the patience to play through another 30 hour game doing the same thing over and over again of scavenging for parts and resources
Why people like myself love survival horror, managing resources is a huge part of what makes the game intense, I could blow through these clickers with the shotgun or will I need it later. If you don't like collecting items just turn on auto collect and have resources set to common.

Last edited:
If ND are to make a 3rd game they will need to change up the formula a bit don’t know if people will have the patience to play through another 30 hour game doing the same thing over and over again of scavenging for parts and resources

The survival aspect of this game was my favourite part about it.

I played on hard mode and at times had no bullets, so had to find ways to make it through (sometimes I would literally just bolt through and pray for the best -- it worked a couple times and made me feel like a boss).

I'm not even a massive fan of the game play. Would prefer a GOW game rather than stealth / 3rd person action shooter.

The story telling in the game is amazing though, even if the story isn't one someone enjoys at the end. You have to respect it for that. The graphics and the original mechanics of how it is told is are brilliant.

That's more preference than gameplay issue though.

Like many others when I started playing as Abby I instantly groaned. Then she won me over and I was team Abby by the end.

Ending wasn't bad at all. Not sure where the hate is coming from for this game. I really enjoyed it and was up and down in my investment in the story but I'm like that with all games.

One of the best gaming experiences you can have.

Kinda becoming a slog for me now, 22 hours in and when I play and get to about the 3rd or 4th area of sneaking/killing scars/WLF or the infected, I’m like “ehhhh here we go again”.

Oh yeah if you like the game avoid the TLOU2 Reddit.

Everyone is just piss-taking it. I feel bad for the people that made this game. So glad I stayed off the internet and formed my own opinions on this game.
I mean a good rule for life is to avoid reddit full stop.

I get a lot of people genuinely may not have liked the game, it happens, but I also think way too many people love to be outraged and tell everyone about it. Is sometimes more fun to complain and be outraged I guess. Plus if something does not pan out like you wanted it to, it means it must be sh*t.

A lot of people find it hard to deal with disappointment.

Like The Last Jedi. Or Game of Thrones Season 8.

It's fine if those things disappointed you. It's okay to discuss it, but the internet can't seem to do that without going ballistic as if those things owed them something. The over hyperbolic meltdowns and toxic hate speech these things bring out in people is so unreal to me. When Game of Thrones disappointed me, I felt bad, then moved on. People are so insane.

Oh yeah if you like the game avoid the TLOU2 Reddit.

Everyone is just piss-taking it. I feel bad for the people that made this game. So glad I stayed off the internet and formed my own opinions on this game.

For the record, the TLOU2 sub is just a hate sub, basically. Has been for a month or two. The regular Last of Us sub is pretty normal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw an interview with the director today and he said the original plan was for the game to be open world, or at least several hub worlds, but it didn't suit this particular narrative so they went for a more 'wide linear' approach. He then went on to say that an open world 'Last of Us' is absolutely do able so that's the direction I expect them to take if they make a sequel.

Like many others when I started playing as Abby I instantly groaned. Then she won me over and I was team Abby by the end.

Ending wasn't bad at all. Not sure where the hate is coming from for this game. I really enjoyed it and was up and down in my investment in the story but I'm like that with all games.

One of the best gaming experiences you can have.
for me, my biggest issue was getting to the moment where Ellie and Abby finally met then going back 4 days to introduce a bunch of new characters. It killed the pacing. I then tried to rush through abbys first day thinking i would get back to that cliffhanger and probably stopped me from growing to like abby at all. Because of that, the entire 2nd half was a slog, didn't mind Lev though

I think most of the hate is an overreaction to the only perfect scores released from major review outlets and people who probably read spoilers/watched playthroughs then never played it

Last edited:
Only have just got to the tv station, it's ok so far, not as into the story as I was the first one, really just hanging out for the crossbow, haven't done any weapon upgrades yet because I want to make the my main weapon and fully kitted out.

Overall game thoughts:

I had a somewhat bipolar experience throughout the game. The Ellie campaign was a mixed bag. Abby's campaign was a 10/10 experience. And the extended epilogue felt completely unnecessary even if the encounter design was interesting. The final confrontation, in the most boring location you could design, was a complete s**t show.

In Ellie's campaign I came pretty close to giving up on the game. I remember going through the Hillcrest chapter and realising that I simply wasn't having much fun. The story wasn't interesting - Ellie's campaign is largely a black and white pursuit of revenge - and the encounter design to that point lacked a lot of the verticality and variety that came to characterise the later game.

Thankfully I pushed through. The Hospital chapter was excellent - leading to Nora's death - and then I loved the Flooded City mostly due to the multi-level encounter to get the boat.

Abby's campaign was just incredibly good from start-to-end. It's unfortunate though that given the way the story is structured - with the Ellie / Abby confrontation - Abby's campaign becomes filler because (at least initially) it is just a roadblock on the path to the endgame. Of course, within an hour or two it became obvious that Abby's campaign was the story. She was the game's most interesting and compelling character. It is just a shame that we had to spend 15-hours on Ellie's relatively dull campaign to get to it.

The game really should have ended with Ellie on the farm and Abby / Lev pursuing the Fireflies in Santa Barbara. The game didn't need an extra few hours of content, particularly when the endgame was simply to have the same outcome as Abby's campaign just with Ellie walking away.

Which brings me to a broader point - the game's length - you could easily cut 5-hours of content from the game, tighten the experience, and lose little of value. The entire epilogue could go, with a few key scenes reworked. And there are sections of Ellie and Abby's campaign that should have been shortened. This is a game that didn't know when to end and because the epilogue was mostly terrible that is ultimately to the game's detriment.

I thought the cutscenes and animations were superb. I thought the overall game looked good but not outstanding. Maybe that's because I am a PC gamer and only have a base PS4. Performances by all of the characters was excellent. I particularly appreciated how nuanced all the characters were - Joel is both a monster and a devoted father figure. Abby is both a monster and a loyal friend. Same goes for Ellie. Everyone is complex in a way that you rarely see in videogames and we often fail to think about in real life.

I'd rate the Ellie campaign a 7/10; Abby campaign a 10/10; and the epilogue a 4/10.

Last edited:
Overall game thoughts:

I had a somewhat bipolar experience throughout the game. The Ellie campaign was a mixed bag. Abby's campaign was a 10/10 experience. And the extended epilogue felt completely unnecessary even if the encounter design was interesting. The final confrontation, in the most boring location you could design, was a complete sh*t show.

In Ellie's campaign I came pretty close to giving up on the game. I remember going through the Hillcrest chapter and realising that I simply wasn't having much fun. The story wasn't interesting - Ellie's campaign is largely a black and white pursuit of revenge - and the encounter design to that point lacked a lot of the verticality and variety that came to characterise the later game.

Thankfully I pushed through. The Hospital chapter was excellent - leading to Nora's death - and then I loved the Flooded City mostly due to the multi-level encounter to get the boat.

Abby's campaign was just incredibly good from start-to-end. It's unfortunate though that given the way the story is structured - with the Ellie / Abby confrontation - Abby's campaign becomes filler because (at least initially) it is just a roadblock on the path to the endgame. Of course, within an hour or two it became obvious that Abby's campaign was the story. She was the game's most interesting and compelling character. It is just a shame that we had to spend 15-hours on Ellie's relatively dull campaign to get to it.

The game really should have ended with Ellie on the farm and Abby / Lev pursuing the Fireflies in Santa Barbara. The game didn't need an extra few hours of content, particularly when the endgame was simply to have the same outcome as Abby's campaign just with Ellie walking away.

Which brings me to a broader point - the game's length - you could easily cut 5-hours of content from the game, tighten the experience, and lose little of value. The entire epilogue could go, with a few key scenes reworked. And there are sections of Ellie and Abby's campaign that should have been shortened. This is a game that didn't know when to end and because the epilogue was mostly terrible that is ultimately to the game's detriment.

I thought the cutscenes and animations were superb. I thought the overall game looked good but not outstanding. Maybe that's because I am a PC gamer and only have a base PS4. Performances by all of the characters was excellent. I particularly appreciated how nuanced all the characters were - Joel is both a monster and a devoted father figure. Abby is both a monster and a loyal friend. Same goes for Ellie. Everyone is complex in a way that you rarely see in videogames and we often fail to think about in real life.

I'd rate the Ellie campaign a 7/10; Abby campaign a 10/10; and the epilogue a 4/10.

I had the same thoughts as you nearly. Definitely preferred Abby's campaign so much more once I got into it and realised the game was half-Ellie half-Abby (I just assumed you would play as Abby for a couple hours then go back to Ellie).

I was ready for the game to finish by the time the epilogue rolled around but ended up getting back into the game and really enjoyed some of the final sequences. Those battles were genuinely tough on Hard mode and the enemies had armor which made them so much harder to kill.

Overall game thoughts:

I had a somewhat bipolar experience throughout the game. The Ellie campaign was a mixed bag. Abby's campaign was a 10/10 experience. And the extended epilogue felt completely unnecessary even if the encounter design was interesting. The final confrontation, in the most boring location you could design, was a complete sh*t show.

The problem you had with Ellie's story is heavily linked with what you enjoyed and disliked later in the game. Ellie devolving into hatred is what setup the perfect counter perspective of Abby, they made Ellie the monster you hated in Abby, you're meant to feel her losing her self with her pursuit.

They were the perfect balance sheet throughout the story, what Ellie lost Abby gained and what Abby lost Ellie gained. At the end of the first game Abby lost her father and family, Ellie gained a father and family, Abby lost her humanity by carrying out her revenge at the start of the second game and slowly restored that humanity by taking pity on an enemy, meanwhile Ellie was losing her humanity.

The epilogue was all about Ellie finally forgiving Joel and starting the path to regain her humanity, as humans we have nothing if we don't have humanity. Only people in the game that ended up with anything was people that had forgiveness, Dina and JJ, Abby and Lev compared to Ellie and Tommy.

How long did it take people to complete this?

I’m at about 28 hours and at
hospital scene towards the end of Abby’s Day 1, just had the scene with Owen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back