PS4 The Last of Us Part II - PS5 Remaster coming Jan 19

Remove this Banner Ad

on this:

Yeah, and the game kind of betrayed players from the first game who chose not to kill the surgeons (I was one). When I saw the flashback during this game, I shouted “No, I didn’t do that!” lol

It is just disappointing that they clearly spent years on this game, and refining every single detail, yet the critical plot point that drives the entire game was so meh.

Where did you get the statue for the first game from? because it was a US exclusive. They are still selling for like $2K
Nah it wasn't a US exclusive because I purchased mine from EB games. Was around $150 at the time.

Nah it wasn't a US exclusive because I purchased mine from EB games. Was around $150 at the time.
In the US the pandemic edition cost $170. and was a North America only. Australia got the Joel [EB Exclusive] and Ellie [JB exclusive] editions that had a canvas wrap. but no statue or comic. and mini artbook. where the pandemic had the full size artbook.

I remember being pissed that it was US only

Took me awhile but finally finished. Geez what a game, depressing, bleak and brutal from go to wo - just as it should be I reckon.

How far into it are you? Would love to hear your opinions once you've finished the story.

Yeah I get why some people would not be happy, but personally I wasn't too bothered.

When I first realised I was going to do the 3 days in Seattle as Abby, yeah I was a little put off and keen to get back to Ellie. But the more I played, the more into it and her story I got. ND were obviously going for presenting Abby as a mirror image of Ellie, and in that aspect I think they crushed it - at the start you just wanna murder Abby in the most gruesome way possible lol, but as they lay out her story you come to understand that she's just as justified in her revenge as Ellie is, really well done imo. Could they have achieved that without having you actually play as her for a solid chunk of the game? Possibly, but I think it hits better doing it the way they did - her story is even more tragic than Ellie's really in that she loses every single one of her friends (well, except for Lev). Only real issue I had with her story was that she seemed to turn from all in with the WLF to murdering her own people in the space of 2 days. Yeah Lev and Yara saved her life, but still. Anyway, pretty small quibble in the scheme of things.

No issues with Ellie not killing her at the end, those quick flashbacks to Joel during the fight were awesome, got me right in the feels. Again with the mirror image kinda aspect - Abby was in a position to kill Ellie and Dina earlier in the game, but didn't because of Lev. Ellie then in a position to kill Abby, didn't because of Joel and her desire to "try to forgive". Interesting though that if Ellie didn't give in to her desire for revenge after Tommy came to see her, Abby would have died.

That last scene of her trying to play the guitar with her missing fingers, oh man. Last link to Joel severed, literally. Whole game is really a musing on hate and revenge, and what the end result of that usually is. Incredible, really no other games like these.

In the US the pandemic edition cost $170. and was a North America only. Australia got the Joel [EB Exclusive] and Ellie [JB exclusive] editions that had a canvas wrap. but no statue or comic. and mini artbook. where the pandemic had the full size artbook.

I remember being pissed that it was US only

Yeah, I probably should have clearer. I purchased the Joel Edition of the game. The statue was for sale via EB games separately, the cost was approx $150.

This game was heading towards being my favourite of this generation, now it's just a slog. I was going through every building searching for everything i could find but am now just trying to get through it as quick as i can

what a sh*t idea to have us play as Abby. There is absolutely no redeeming her after that introduction. If you wanted a different perspective over those days, give us Tommy.

You don't feel that she was just as justified in her revenge on Joel as Ellie was in seeking revenge on Abby?

Tommy got shot in the back of the head and is somehow fine. Ellie was choking on her own blood and Dina bleeding to death from an arrow through her, but all of them magically survived the theater because magic, without any explanation

Tommy went on the trip to stop Ellie going in the first place, yet in the end he was guilt tripping Ellie to do it for him, because the plot demanded it.

The decisions made by the characters in the end were farcical and made little sense, they also have super plot armour

Not sure Tommy is 'fine', dude had one eye and can't even walk properly.

Thats why he asked Ellie to go - not because the plot demanded it, but because he couldn't any more. Yeah he went alone initially so that Ellie wouldn't have to, but just leaving Abby alive was never an option for him. Once his condition meant he couldn't go after her, Ellie is pretty much the only option.

Shitty of him to pressure her to do it, sure. But there's no inconsistency with the character there.

Last edited:
You don't feel that she was just as justified in her revenge on Joel as Ellie was in seeking revenge on Abby?
completely justified. No issue with that happening. I just didn't find any part of her character enjoyable.

i think my biggest issue was introducing her part right at the climax, all i wanted to do was get back there. If they went day for day with her and Ellie, i may have been able to get more invested

Last edited:
The problem you had with Ellie's story is heavily linked with what you enjoyed and disliked later in the game. Ellie devolving into hatred is what setup the perfect counter perspective of Abby, they made Ellie the monster you hated in Abby, you're meant to feel her losing her self with her pursuit.

They were the perfect balance sheet throughout the story, what Ellie lost Abby gained and what Abby lost Ellie gained. At the end of the first game Abby lost her father and family, Ellie gained a father and family, Abby lost her humanity by carrying out her revenge at the start of the second game and slowly restored that humanity by taking pity on an enemy, meanwhile Ellie was losing her humanity.

The epilogue was all about Ellie finally forgiving Joel and starting the path to regain her humanity, as humans we have nothing if we don't have humanity. Only people in the game that ended up with anything was people that had forgiveness, Dina and JJ, Abby and Lev compared to Ellie and Tommy.
Yep. No coincidence that Tommy was no longer with Maria considering the headspace he was in when pressuring Ellie to go after Abby again.

Yes! it was all to convenient how it happened!
Why would the WLF keep Tommy and Ellie alive? In any environment especially in that world knowing full well they'll be out for revenge. But sure OK. But we never really see a sign of that while playing as Abby it's as if it never happened. Even once Abby incounters Tommy she is shocked yes! But not concerned enough to let her friends know that these people are after them for what they did to Joel? Instead we are taken off in a different direction without a thought. Once she finds out her friends are dead she only realises when Lev gives her the map. I mean really? That's just poor.

Might be remembering wrong, but Abby doesn't know its Tommy until she tracks him down at the theatre does she? Before that, during the sniper section etc. as far as they know its just a random trespasser?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't think it worked at all.

The first part of the game, I (like everyone) was wondering why Abby hated joel. Then when you find out, it was kind of like 'oh okay'. It wasn't the big reveal that it could have been.

I just got to the second half of the game and was loving the gameplay, but really didn't care about any of the characters or who was going to survive at the end. Which was like the opposite of the first game.

If they invested more into the Abby/Joel thing, probably at the expense of the Abby plot with the kids, it could have had the emotional impact of the first game.

It is just disappointing that they clearly spent years on this game, and refining every single detail, yet the critical plot point that drives the entire game was so meh.

Wow, couldn't disagree more. That first Abby flashback hit me like a punch in the guts.

When you come out of the trees, see the Salt Lake hospital and realise where you are, a hint of the main theme from part 1 plays and it all snaps into place with her dad being a doctor... just wow. Almost moment of the game for me.

Last edited:
Might be remembering wrong, but Abby doesn't know its Tommy until she tracks him down at the theatre does she? Before that, during the sniper section etc. as far as they know its just a random trespasser?

You didn't think Abby got a good look at Tommy before she throws him off the buliding? That's why she looked so shocked! She knew who he was.

Last edited:
You didn't think Abby got a good look at Tommy before she throws him off the buliding? That's why she looked so shocked! She knew who he was.

Ah yep sorry, you're right. Just watched the cutscene on youtube, she does say lets get Lev and get back to the aquarium but yeah, guess she could have doubled back and given them the heads up before heading to the island. Just a flow thing I imagine.

completely justified. No issue with that happening. I just didn't find any part of her character enjoyable.

i think my biggest issue was introducing her part right at the climax, all i wanted to do was get back there. If they went day for day with her and Ellie, i may have been able to get more invested
Wasn't justified. Abby's dad wanted to kill Joel's daughter without his or her consent. It likely would have been for nothing, too. He wouldn't let Joel save her without violence either, picking up a scalpel to stop him. She didn't even have 2nd thoughts after he saved her life. True psycho.

Ah yep sorry, you're right. Just watched the cutscene on youtube, she does say lets get Lev and get back to the aquarium but yeah, guess she could have doubled back and given them the heads up before heading to the island. Just a flow thing I imagine.

Yeah I get that too, I suppose they could have added that Sniper part with Tommy earlier in the Abby playthrough like on the way back from the Hospital or something to keep the group on their toes. I guess what I'm trying to say is we didn't get enough of these cat and mouse incounters while playing as Abby to keep me in suspense enough.

Last edited:
on this:

Yeah, and the game kind of betrayed players from the first game who chose not to kill the surgeons (I was one). When I saw the flashback during this game, I shouted “No, I didn’t do that!” lol
You did. In 1 you have to kill pops when you enter the room, it's unavoidable. You can leave the other two in there untouched, though. I seem to have seen a bunch of people misremembering that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back