The Last Time...you fully expected to beat Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

cats fans of the last 30 years have lived through a different kind of heartbreak though, yes you’d rather follow a team who loses grand finals than one that never makes them but f*** the 90s were shattering
Aah yes, very true, I didn’t consider GF losses.

l reckon every side would have thought they could push for the eight at the start of this season if things went their way.
I also reckon every club, with the possible exception of Adelaide, would think that they could have a list capable of challenging for finals next year if they handle their recruiting/trading well over summer.

The competition is fairly even right now.

totally agree but it will only take a 1-3 start to a season or something and straight away there will be mentions of whether to focus on the future or whatever

Seriously 2000,since then they almost beat us every time.

I don’t know whether to envy your footy journey or pity you just a little. Being a tiger and having plenty of experience with my side doing it tough, I think it makes any success that little bit sweeter.
I’m sure when the hard times come, you’ll look back at the last decade through slightly different eyes.
You're right, but years of losing would damage my mental state too much.

No the only people who were crying were Geelong supporters at the end of the game
Mate the scenes at half time were crazy. Yes some Richmond supporters were in tears. There was also a bloke who completely lost his s**t because he couldn’t get out for a cigarette.
It was only brief, but for that 30 minutes at half time was pure gold. The sheer panic, tears and aggression from Richmond supporters was hilarious.
Unfortunately it was only short lived but gee it was funny.

Geelong fear Richmond in finals
Haha. No. They don't.

Respect your team, but Scott has consistently said that he thought the were overrated and very beatable. Richmond's recent record has been bolstered by stealing home ground advantage and not making finals for twenty years prior.

Basically any team who doesn't make finals has already been beaten, not making the finals series is worse than losing one or two finals games. Only a fool would suggest otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty amazing that since 2007, they've always been "good", as in good enough that they never went into a game without a chance. I don't think I've ever gone into a game fully expecting a win against them, not to the level I would against say bottom 6 teams, or some known flakey teams.
Yep, after plenty of up and downs, and I was at all those losing GF‘s, since 2007, I have gone into every season thinking we are a chance, and almost every game. And so of course, I’ve been wrong plenty of times to think that, but right more times. Amazing really.
I was so used to losing, I didn’t even relax in the 2007 GF till half way into the last quarter.
I have friends who follow teams where it’s been almost the opposite, so it’s been tough.
Geelong supporters have been extremely lucky, can’t complain.

Pretty amazing that since 2007, they've always been "good", as in good enough that they never went into a game without a chance. I don't think I've ever gone into a game fully expecting a win against them, not to the level I would against say bottom 6 teams, or some known flakey teams.
It really goes back to a third of the way through 2004. That season they made the pre-season final against their 'young talent nemesis' St Kilda. But in the season proper they didn't look like much until they surprisingly almost upset the Swans from seemingly nowhere and then started to show top 4 form very soon after. 2005 they were top 8 quality and on the fringes of contention given the new guard, 2006 they were close to flag faves after beating fellow contender Adelaide in the pre-season final but then were notoriously tragic mid-table, yet still capable of a big win against almost anyone on their day. Early rounds of 2007 was a continuation of this shaky form.

2003 is the only season this millennium in which they were no hope at finals. 2001 was also pretty ordinary but they were midtable for patches of that season. And if your only game against them during that belittled window was in Geelong when they happened to be in form or match up well, or your own side sucked a little, then it makes an interesting mental exercise for this thread.

Last edited:
IMO the reason Geelong s**t the bed in finals is simple.. It's Chris Scott's slow ball movement game plan.. It doesn't stack up at all in finals, as teams just flood our forward line where the ball is turnover and we are scored on through counter attack.. Players like Hawkins and Rohan ( who has burst speed) can't do anything, as space is blocked. .. He is just a s**t overrated coach IMO..

IMO the reason Geelong sh*t the bed in finals is simple.. It's Chris Scott's slow ball movement game plan.. It doesn't stack up at all in finals, as teams just flood our forward line where the ball is turnover and we are scored on through counter attack.. Players like Hawkins and Rohan ( who has burst speed) can't do anything, as space is blocked. .. He is just a sh*t overrated coach IMO..

port had the same issue on the early 2000s under choco

top of the ladder and then s**t the bed come finals

IMO the reason Geelong sh*t the bed in finals is simple.. It's Chris Scott's slow ball movement game plan.. It doesn't stack up at all in finals, as teams just flood our forward line where the ball is turnover and we are scored on through counter attack.. Players like Hawkins and Rohan ( who has burst speed) can't do anything, as space is blocked. .. He is just a sh*t overrated coach IMO..

firstly, I don’t like it when we just chip it around. Let me say that much.

secondly though, let’s have a look at our finals failures. Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne and Fremantle all beat is simply because they flew out of the blocks and ambushed us and those four games were all over midway through the second term. Yes it is a coach’s job not to be ambushed (and the players) but you’d be hard pressed to say that tactics cost us those games.

Richmond beat is in 2017 with one brief burst of second half footy. It was an ordinary game to watch. I honestly can’t remember if we were playing keepings off or not but from memory it was just a tackle happy low skill game. Hawthorn beat us in a tremendously skilful, open prelim when Chapman and Enright from memory were missing. Richmond nearly s**t the bed against us without Hawkins and Duncan and again, one really blistering quarter of footy was the difference.

the pies game last year is the only example to me where our tactics were clearly a huge factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back