The Last Time...you fully expected to beat Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Of course, every match starts from zero and is there to be won. Even the longest odds have a chance. However, 'upsets' and 'percentage boosters' are a thing, and there are usually a few lowly sides which a form side would typically expect to get the better of. This thread is meant as a celebration of the modern Geelong Cats. There might be some twentysomethings who simply cannot recall feeling arrogantly confident against them, and of course fans of the Suns and maybe the Giants have probably never felt it. Geelong has mostly been a decent side for a generation now. Putting aside passionate confidence and neurotic anxiety, when was the last time you saw Geelong was your next fixtured opponent and felt like you could pencil in the W?

For West Coast, I honestly have to go way back to Rnd 7 2003. Geelong were bottom (1-5) and we were 3rd (4-2) and at home. It wasn't cut and dried (our divergent season fates were still taking shape after being of similar standing in 2002), but our form was certainly a lot better at that point in time, and the home factor was important then. The Cats were up against it. Pre-season I wouldn't pencil it in, but we were becoming a hype side and they were settling into a limited honest tryer year (bottom 4 until final round). It was still tight, Geelong leading halfway through Q4. We were a little more accurate, and only had 1 player with 22+ disposals, easily could have lost it in the end.

Previous to that you might be able to point to Rnd 13 1999. Geelong after matching our 5-0 start hit a losing streak of 0-7 prior to our encounter. We were still top then and were still a few weeks from hitting that out-of-form injured patch when we lost our first derby and then were annihilated in the first half by Brisbane. Penciling in a win in Geelong is foolish at the best of times, but we'd recently beaten the Swans in Sydney (when Plugger could've broken the record) and top-of-the-ladder against a long losing streak when Eagles fans were still living in their arrogant oft-ladder-leading 90s bubble.

The closest case in recent memory might be Rnd 9 2015 (6-2 vs. 4-4 in WA), but I don't believe any Eagles fan would have honestly gone in confident, given Geelong in 2013 and 2014 had given us some real helpless beatings and still seemed capable on their day, plus we were still shaking off our flat track bullies tag. Like Port, Essendon and Sydney in that period, they had enough bogey spook to trouble the Eagles regardless of ladder position.

Last edited:

Finals last year.
Yes I can definitely see that, given the Tiger's form at the time plus the same old story for crunch-time Scott-era Geelong.

Still, Richmond had been upset in the previous year's PF and the Cats did lead at half-time, were minor premiers and a little scary early in the season. Would be hard to dismiss the Cat's chances in such a big game.

Given the team I mostly support, never.

I don't think Geelong have ever sunk down to say ...average since about 2007. Always seem in with a chance in most games. I have enjoyed watching Geelong over all this time. Some good (some great) players and some good footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the team I mostly support, never.

I don't think Geelong have ever sunk down to say ...average since about 2007. Always seem in with a chance in most games. I have enjoyed watching Geelong over all this time. Some good (some great) players and some good footy.

We haven’t been a bad team since 2003. We were an average team in 2006, 2015 and maybe 2018. Every other season we’ve been at least a very good team.

I don't think the Cats will amount to much in 2007, Thompson is taking them nowhere.
I just don't think you can sanely pencil in a win when 0-5 unless the opponent is spoon-core. The cats weren't then, they were frustratingly underperforming mid table. Cats were favourites, even if the manner was more like a nuclear blast than expected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back