The Laver Cup

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
This "Europe vs the rest of the world" thing is nonsense. There's more chance of rivalry and meaning by making European nations compete against one another than there would be any kind of camaraderie against the non-Europeans. Similarly, Canada vs US, Aus vs UK, etc are far more likely to be interesting than lumping them all together as some fake superteam with no historical ties.

Works a treat in golf, but then I don't think they have a Davis Cup equivalent (therefore Presidents and Ryder Cups are the only teams events available for players).

Lukewarm on the concept myself.

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Would be cool if women were involved. So mixed doubles. Imagine seeing Murray and Muguruza on one side of the court v. Serena and Nishikori or Raonic.

Not trying to be PC (but it is I guess), if women were involved we should have a female player honoured as well e.g. Margaret Court therefore being the Laver-Court Cup or Court-Laver Cup.

TheMainMan83

Debutant
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
If they want it to be taken serious and have any future they need both Djokovic and Murray to play if the current best 2 players in the world aren't there it just looks like a ego boost and $ maker for the old legends who can't win Grand Slams anymore.

A "Europe" team without the 1,2 players in the ATP Rankings would seem laughable then it's just a Federer-Nadal exhibition.

If they want it to be taken serious and have any future they need both Djokovic and Murray to play if the current best 2 players in the world aren't there it just looks like a ego boost and $ maker for the old legends who can't win Grand Slams anymore.

Yea, sounds like an ego boost for the legends and Federer and of course another way to make money. I just dont know how Laver Cup is maintainable long term, we already have exhibition tournaments/matches throughout the year, plus the tennis calendar is already full.

TheMainMan83

Debutant
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yea, sounds like an ego boost for the legends and Federer and of course another way to make money. I just dont know how Laver Cup is maintainable long term, we already have exhibition tournaments/matches throughout the year, plus the tennis calendar is already full.

I would think Roger and Rafa would be more concerned with actually staying on court for the ATP tour and grand slams, they've both missed slams this year with injuries and have struggled to stay healthy all year and they're out there trying to organize a meaningless tournament for a quick buck.

Nobody cares about no Ryder Cup of tennis format, the only way they're gonna get the other top guys to pay is by offering them big money.

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Not trying to be PC (but it is I guess), if women were involved we should have a female player honoured as well e.g. Margaret Court therefore being the Laver-Court Cup or Court-Laver Cup.

Probably Martina due to Court's issue with LGBT rights.

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Nobody cares about no Ryder Cup of tennis format, the only way they're gonna get the other top guys to pay is by offering them big money.

It's an indictment on the sport that this back-patting exercise is going ahead and during the season as opposed to the offseason, but whatever Fed and his agent want, they get, I guess. TA clearly love Fed and its in Laver's honour so no surprise they are endorsing this but it is disappointing since they and their disciples crap on about the importance of Davis Cup and Fed Cup, 2 prestigious teams competitions which have struggled to be of significance for a long time. The regular absence of top players (incl Roger and Rafa) and the poor crowd attendance (at certain ties) have long contributed to this.

It's important that David Haggerty, the ITF Prez, pulls out all stops to revive these competitions and find a way to get the top players to compete. I know it's a tall order but this is of greater importance to the sport than ego-stroking BS like this.

It's an indictment on the sport that this back-patting exercise is going ahead and during the season as opposed to the offseason, but whatever Fed and his agent want, they get, I guess. TA clearly love Fed and its in Laver's honour so no surprise they are endorsing this but it is disappointing since they and their disciples crap on about the importance of Davis Cup and Fed Cup, 2 prestigious teams competitions which have struggled to be of significance for a long time. The regular absence of top players (incl Roger and Rafa) and the poor crowd attendance (at certain ties) have long contributed to this.

It's important that David Haggerty, the ITF Prez, pulls out all stops to revive these competitions and find a way to get the top players to compete. I know it's a tall order but this is of greater importance to the sport than ego-stroking BS like this.

Good point, some top players skip the Davis Cup meets but now Federer wants to introduce a new tournament for really his own benefits.. Why not try and focus on promoting Davis Cup and Fed cup instead.

Hewitt is a great spokesperson for Davis Cup who encourages our younger players to participate.

Let's see how Federer's new tournament performs and whether the public and sponsors show any interest

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Update on Laver Cup coming up next month.

Team Europe:
Federer
Nadal
Cilic
Theim
Berdych
t.b.c

Team World:
Raonic
Isner
Sock
Querrey
t.b.c
t.b.c

*Kyrgios likely to be on the world team if fit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kyrgios won't be playing in the Laver Cup though Davis Cup is coming up soon? So probably best he prepares for that.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/t...p/news-story/78833132599102a0009bb4d94473d232

NICK Kyrgios has been left out of John McEnroe’s world team to take on the might of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in next month’s inaugural edition of the Laver Cup.

McEnroe has been both a fierce critic and staunch supporter of the young Australian over the years, questioning his mental toughness while lauding him as one of the most exciting prospects on the circuit.

But it seems there is no room for Kyrgios in the ‘Rest of the World Team’ despite him reaching an ATP final in Cincinnati last week.

Instead he has opted for Juan Martin del Potro (world No. 28) and teenager Denis Shapovalov (No. 69) to join Canadian Milos Raonic and the American trio of John Isner, Jack Sock and Sam Querrey.

The Ryder Cup-style competition will put Bjorn Borg’s six-man European side against McEnroe’s, the Swede’s bitter rival in the 1970s and ‘80s.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Update on Laver Cup coming up next month.

Team Europe:
Federer
Nadal
Cilic
Theim
Berdych
t.b.c

Team World:
Raonic
Isner
Sock
Querrey
t.b.c
t.b.c

*Kyrgios likely to be on the world team if fit.

Team world screams entertainment right there.

Kyrgios in but needs Nishikori and Del Potro as well. They will probably end up with Kevin Anderson lol.

edit: Ok that article above has Del Potro confirmed too. Shapovalov brings something different to the concept at least. Breaks up the servebots.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Is anyone going to watch this!?! This is so pointless, we already have enough tournaments.
Can't imagine it will have huge numbers tuning in.
They have released a generic order of play but no specific match ups yet.

Back