419b66ea63c45669687c260bdba25752.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
scratch Del Porto off that list. Has withdrawn because of his run at the US Open

Team world is screwed. Nick is really their only hope. That, or a very fast hardcourt for the big Americans.

A WTA Europe v Team World would be close. This is going to be a bloodbath. Heck, I think it is going to be a bloodbath most years.

Also, I won't be watching. I am sure they will make money though. You can never have enough Rafa or RF hats.

Out of my interest.
WTA Europe (Race rankings)
Mug #1
Halep #2
Svitolina #3
Pliskova #4
Woznacki #6
Konta #7
(Ostapenko #8)

WTA World(USA)
Venus #5
Coco #11
Stephens #12
Keys #14
Dasha #22 (drops off here)
Peng Shaui #23
(Serena) #15

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
I thought I heard ages ago that McEnroe had not selected Kyrgios. Would watch a bit of it to see Shapovalov as I haven't seen him play for awhile but as it's not on FTA I might not be able to.

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Fiasco Cup. Shamozzle Cup. Delpo withdrawing is a huge blow.

He missed the latest Davis Cup tie as well and Argentina, who he helped win last year's Davis Cup, is now relegated as well :eek:

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
From 8.30pm
Cilic v Tiafoe
Thiem v Isner

From 3am
Zverev v Shapovalov
Nadal/Berdych v Kyrgios/Sock doubles

Caught the replay of last night's doubles match. For all the legitimate gripes expressed, the quality of play and level of entertainment served as an indelible counterpoint. It'd be foolish to immediately assume that's true of the entire tournament, but I'm a simple fan of the sport: I see good tennis, I come back for more.

I do like the climactic nature of the points structure (not sure if it's new or if it originated elsewhere) and the camaraderie amongst high-profile teammates was enjoyable to watch. Having the third sets as 10-point tiebreaks makes it a bit more of a crapshoot so maybe an imbalance between Europe and the ROW won't be quite as pronounced.

What I am loving is the black court they are using. Looks great.

The World team is a bit of a rat pack who are entertaining with their antics on the support benches.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Nadal & Federer playing doubles together is on now

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Today is the final day and all the matches are worth 3 points. Europe up 9-6 now, with zverev to face querrey, then federer vs kyrgios.

This could be the potential beginning of the end for Davis cup comp. Of course that is not certain, but I think the Laver cup has the potential to become like the Ryder cup or presidents cup of tennis.

It's only one week of the year compared to the 4 Davis cup weekends. You can share the hosting city around the world.

It has huge potential in my eyes.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Today is the final day and all the matches are worth 3 points. Europe up 9-6 now, with zverev to face querrey, then federer vs kyrgios.

This could be the potential beginning of the end for Davis cup comp. Of course that is not certain, but I think the Laver cup has the potential to become like the Ryder cup or presidents cup of tennis.

It's only one week of the year compared to the 4 Davis cup weekends. You can share the hosting city around the world.

It has huge potential in my eyes.
Much like the rest of the country's hatred of 'the Allies'; so to will we not get behind a 'world team'. Davis cup still worth playing.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Much like the rest of the country's hatred of 'the Allies'; so to will we not get behind a 'world team'. Davis cup still worth playing.
It's the first year of the Laver cup so it's hard to have passion for the international team straight away. But with anything that is starting off, it will take time for tradition to grow. Having federer and Nadal play the first edition is important for the possibility of this being a long term event.

I love the Davis cup but there has been enough discussion over the past couple of years about the future of the competition, to raise some doubts about its long term future.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kyrgios should probably have won that, had a lead in the super tie break. Anyway Team Europe wins as a result of Federer getting across the line. Great atmosphere. I was a bit sceptical going in but I really enjoyed a few of the matches and the players really got into, not treating it just as an exhibition.

Back