The Laver Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Positive wrap-up from the New York Times cuts to the core of the issue which is along the same lines of something I believe about tennis in the Olympics, State of Origin football, etc.: if the top players value it highly enough, all other problems can be worked around.

This year event was just about perfect.

Read that Tennis Australia are one of the investors. You would think we will host it sooner rather than later. But I guess it depends on TV money.

It will be very interesting to see what happens in 5 years time for this comp. Will Novak join the fun next year? Will the big names continue to play in it, especially after Fedal exits the building?

Team World look like they had a lot of fun

All I know is McEnroe should be coaching Nick. It'll be brutal, but it could define them both.
One of these dudes is a 7 time grand slam champion, was world number 1 in both singles and doubles, won 155 titles in his career, was a part of 5 davis cup titles for his country and is already in the hall of fame. But coaching Nick Kyrgios could define him?

One of these dudes is a 7 time grand slam champion, was world number 1 in both singles and doubles, won 155 titles in his career, was a part of 5 davis cup titles for his country and is already in the hall of fame. But coaching Nick Kyrgios could define him?

It goes...
Coaching Nick
"You gotta be kidding me"
Telstra Ad
Some Grand Slams

On again this weekend. Live on ESPN.
Day one schedule:
Dimitrov v Tiafoe
Edmund v Sock
Goffin v Schwartzman
Djokovic/Federer v Sock/Anderson

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Wonder how much Federer is getting paid to be part of this event. That or he has a part ownership in the event and collects part of the profit.

Funnily enough if Federer and other top players were involved more regularly in the Davis Cup, it's format probably would have stayed.
Probably a lot of money and he seems heavily invested in Laver cup.

Too bad the top players aren't interested in playing in Davis cup on a regular basis

Edited:

I wish they would've invested more into the Davis Cup

Last edited:
Everyone knows I am a big Davis Cup fan but I really think they have got this right with the Laver Cup. It actually does have a little bit of the Ryder Cup feel (can't match that obviously) but by staging it in cities that don't host top flight tennis, it has seemed to get good crowds with a good atmosphere and it does feel like they are playing for something. That's not easy to do 2 years into an event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schedule is out for day two:
Zverev v Isner
Federer v Kyrgios
Djokovic v Anderson
Goffin/Dimitrov v Sock/Kyrigos

Seems a completely pointless event to me.

Plus it hinges almost completely on the strength of US tennis and US tennis is in the toilet at the moment.

Then Federer and co will play an exhibition and turn around and say their is too much tennis in the calendar.

Federer should get penalised for missing the clay season like anyone else would if he is going to just turn around and play an exhibition for the $$$ instead.

Any tournament that can produce a moment like this is worth its weight in gold.

e32021bc934a2ef5316b5ed2b4921b27.jpg

If Fed can play 2 more of these, then this tournament will survive and thrive without him IMO. I am sure next year, Fed will work hard to get Nole/Nadal together.

What I like about it is that it isn't really played as an exhibition. Its format is a bit engineered towards drama but in a good way. And the fact it doesn't have a home base and travels is only good for tennis.

It is a credit to the team behind it that it isn't a joke like we all said it would be.

2019 Rod Laver Cup live on ESPN right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back