Roast The leadership of the Port Adelaide FC

Remove this Banner Ad

Tredders just said Boak is surprised about criticisms of his captaincy.

I dunno mate, something to do with garbage for several years and constant exposed lack of leadership when it gets tight etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Yeah, but Boak is great at the 'and make our community proud' off-field stuff. I'd like to know the genius who decided to elevate that to equal status with 'We exist to win premierships'. They are all well and good (and all should continue), but talk about an escape clause. 'Yeah mate we got smashed this week, but we made this group feel good, so I've met half my KPI's'.

Given it heaps of thought and have decided I would like Wingard to be captain, a good ball user and can deliver under pressure.
In order of preference it would be, Chad, Jonas, Hartlett, Wines.

Is this a joke or? Chad doesn't and will never have the capacity to be a captain. He's not that type of person, not even remotely.

There's a growing disconnect between the club and the supporters. I'm not sure the club realises how pissed off people are.

What do you mean?

VYTZ4Mm.jpg

dOES the Captain add much to the performance and direction of the team on game day..?

Boak has been consistently silent on match day & esp. in crucial moments . . . so maybe the captain is just a token position.
The water carrier dispense more info/instruction compared to the Capt.

Yeah, but Boak is great at the 'and make our community proud' off-field stuff. I'd like to know the genius who decided to elevate that to equal status with 'We exist to win premierships'.

— And what does make our community proud?

— WINNING PREMIERSHIPS!
2g0lp3 (1).jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Different era, and different comps, but I remember standing in the outer of Elizabeth oval in the late 1960's and hearing Jeff Potter, who from memory was vice captain at the time, barking instructions to a player who had the ball on the wing, and had 2 or 3 Maggie team mates breaking into space through the centre of the ground.

Potter, who was only about 20 metres from me, called out ` get the ball moving to those blokes in the guts.'
The player with the ball ignored Jeff and tonked it down the line resulting in a boundary throw in.

Potter's response to him, and I can still hear it, was `that's not the f****** guts!' :rolleyes:

Different era, and different comps, but I remember standing in the outer of Elizabeth oval in the late 1960's and hearing Jeff Potter, who from memory was vice captain at the time, barking instructions to a player who had the ball on the wing, and had 2 or 3 Maggie team mates breaking into space through the centre of the ground.

Potter, who was only about 20 metres from me, called out ` get the ball moving to those blokes in the guts.'
The player with the ball ignored Jeff and tonked it down the line resulting in a boundary throw in.

Potter's response to him, and I can still hear it, was `that's not the f****** guts!' :rolleyes:

That is case of the 'Potts calling a kettle black' because Potts was the reason they bought the Out Of Bounds on the Full rule in. ;)

I take the point though Mick.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the off field leadership have decided to stick together to see thing thru until 2020 - KT, Koch, Kevin Osborne, the board, Hinkley, Davies Cripps and Parker are tight as a drum and aren't going anywhere. So that leadership wont change much.

The problem is, how can any of that change? We only got change in 2012 because supporters started to vote with their feet. Unless individuals within that group decide that change is required nothing will change. I can't see the AFL suddenly saying, 'things are crook at Port so let's put pressure on Koch to go'. If we are going to get anywhere it has to start with Koch and KT but they are probably part of the problem.

Maybe we need a campaign like Timmy and George started with the One Cub initiative? We could call it 'Our Club' but of course that would make us campaigners but I would be willing to wear it.:think:

Last edited:
Since the bye we have lost to Hawks by 3 pts, Freo 9 pts, Adelaide 3, WCE 2 pts after being in front or level from 1st siren to the last but lost it after the final siren, Giants by 22 pts after being 9pts down early in the 4th quarter.

So KT isn't slashing his wrists like us, but has probably has banged his head against the wall a few times.

The board and management have given the coaches, fitness and medical staff and bloody players plenty of resources to succeed. They are close but not close enough. A bit of bad luck with injury hasn't helped in the Freo and WCE games and some key players missing but everyone gets them. Its how you handle them that's the key. There is an element of #marginalgains about it all.

A few idiot players have to learn to make good decisions when its tight. Hinkley has to learn to stop trusting the perennial failures under pressure who **** things up.

There will be a shake up at season end. Some experienced players will feel the blow torch. Some of our coaches should and I hope they will. Our recruiting and list management guys should feel it too. Management and the board should actually assess some of the dopey selection and tactics of certain games and ask why the **** did you do X? - but they wont.

The theme for 2019 should be - Triple Redundancy. We need to make list management decisions that allow for triple redundancy of our "football systems." We know we have failures so we now have to make sure they dont happen again or with the same issues time and again.

So when we get injuries to important players, we have a plan, we have a back up plan we have a back up plan for the back up plan if more happen.

When we get in tight spots and the game is going to be decided in the last 2 or 3 minutes, we have a plan, we have a back up plan we have a back up plan for the back up plan to make sure we don't **** up and lose.

Who are? I suggested a couple and I got torched. Everyone wants change but never to the repeat offenders.

Boak is meant to be the onfield leader. The buck stops with him.

Some people think so, some people thinking his head should roll is being illogical and unfair. I suspect we can't have our cake and eat it too.

Who are? I suggested a couple and I got torched. Everyone wants change but never to the repeat offenders.
Boak wont be captain. Ollie wont be captain. Ebert wont be in the leadership group. Ken has to stop trusting them when the game is on the line.

Jonas will be made captain and Hartlett will be elevated in the leadership group.

Players who continually * up under pressure and are marginal players at best, should be traded out or delisted and better replacements found - Pittard, Sam Gray, Hombsch to start with. The ones coming out of contract I said what should happen to them here
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/delistings-2018.1201818/page-4#post-57358158

If we are pushing for top 4 and top 2 two years in a row, and arguing that we are close, but have to only marginally improve and could have won 16 games each year, then we shouldn't be delisting trading out 20-23 players over 2 seasons. But it looks like we might be doing that because we dont bloody learn.

Another example of the club and individuals within it not having their finger on the pulse. There's a growing disconnect between the club and the supporters. I'm not sure the club realises how pissed off people are.

I would have thought that sub 40k crowds for big games that could secure our top 4 spot and the second chance, or second week finals day off, would have been a big clue. But I guess they'll blame the weather for those crowds.

Boak wont be captain. Ollie wont be captain. Ebert wont be in the leadership group. Ken has to stop trusting them when the game is on the line.

Jonas will be made captain and Hartlett will be elevated in the leadership group.
Do you have mail about this or just your opinion?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back