The league lacks characters nowadays

Remove this Banner Ad

CaptchaProofBot

survived brain tumour, what's a bit of insults.
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
If people want characters they can read a book or watch a movie.

The reality is 95% of people aren't actually funny.

The remaining 5% aren't either they just think they are.
most movies nowadays are just irrelevant random explosions...well the Hollywood kind are.

Media and public lapped up Jack Higgins, same for highpants Rowell and his notebook...same for Bailey Smith's mullet and his ultra professionalism
to diet/training...none are pissheads/thuggish.

lumpinee

MK ULTRA
Jul 18, 2019
across the park from commission flats
AFL Club
Richmond
back in the day a guy like Harley Bennell getting hammered on the drink after seasons end and staying on a day longer than planned would of
got you labelled a character ,nowadays it gets you sacked... :rolleyes: its very boring , sad & pathetic really

Altum Volantes

92 - 94 - 06 - 18
Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
back in the day a guy like Harley Bennell getting hammered on the drink after seasons end and staying on a day longer than planned would of got you labelled a character ,nowadays it gets you sacked... :rolleyes: its very boring , sad & pathetic really
Back in the day a guy getting smashed at Christmas Party and pinching the receptionists backside....

etc.

Times change - it’s a professional sport and this is 2020..

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
No characters?

You must have missed the great bow and arrow and motorcycle goal celebrations we have. It's thrilling.

Wojcinski

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I like that Danger takes the piss with the media but everyone else reckons he is a flog for doing that kind of stuff. You can't ask for characters if you're going to lambast them from pillar to post anytime they display personality

Scotland

TheBrownDog
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't find Dangerfield interesting or engaging, he just loves the spotlight. Love watching Danger, Martin and Fyfe play but if I had to choose who to have a beer with it would be Dusty. Most of the players in the comp were born in the 90s so expecting then to be interesting is a big ask.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CaptchaProofBot

survived brain tumour, what's a bit of insults.
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
the most "interesting" character go on a blinder (pick your poison)....slammed his vehicle into some family, wiped out 3 generations.

doesn't matter, he's got way more character than some salad muncher....

there's your hero.

ThePhreshOne

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
The league has a lot of characters. Patrick Dangerfield is unique but gets shat on by the masses because of the way he conducts himself, which I'll never understand. Jack Riewoldt is a character, but gets slaughtered because he's a bit of a sook on the field, Richo was exactly the same but for some reason whilst playing was lauded as an absolute hero. Jack Higgins is another but gets called an idiot/stupid etc.

I wouldn't want to be anything other than the status quo either because you can't please people.

Breretonisahood

Senior List
Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Most of today’s players have come through the TAC cup, draft combine etc where they are exposed to dieticians, shrinks, public speaking coaches etc....with the aim of making the young players as predictable and controllable as possible so that AFL clubs know what they are getting- although this doesn’t always work. Those characters of yesteryear were mentored by old players from the 40s, 50s and 60s who thought that pies, ciggies and VB were a perfectly good training diet

greatwhiteshark

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I don’t believe the characters are not there, I believe they are there but are not allowed to be who they are. Social media jumps on anyone who does not toe the line which forces the AFL to make the players act like robots.
It is us the public that have removed the characters from the game because we can’t just watch the game and accept we either won or lost, we have to pick at every little thing and make mountains out of molehills.
The players have almost become actors having to follow rules that we have set to what is acceptable or unacceptable behaviour now.
What Is acceptable to me is not acceptable to you and we immediately have an issue, hence the crap world we live in now.

backtozero

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The league has a lot of characters. Patrick Dangerfield is unique but gets shat on by the masses because of the way he conducts himself, which I'll never understand. Jack Riewoldt is a character, but gets slaughtered because he's a bit of a sook on the field, Richo was exactly the same but for some reason whilst playing was lauded as an absolute hero. Jack Higgins is another but gets called an idiot/stupid etc.

I wouldn't want to be anything other than the status quo either because you can't please people.
Three blokes, amazing.

Has anyone stopped to think that twenty-something year old footballers aren't that interesting?

Go watch one of those AFL Grill videos where they ask players their favourite movies and music, all the answers are incredibly standard and dull.

Its not the public's fault - they're athletes, not artists.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Look at the discussion something simple like Dhursmas bow and arrow caused. That’s the problem. Here is a young talented player who creates a trademark of sorts and half the league is quick to criticise him for it.
Didn't he just take it from a US Sports star? That isn't showing personality.

Bungeye

All Australian
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dangerfield maybe high on catnip or something, but at least he doesn't need to get intoxicated to have a "personality".

He can act like a class clown, which I think is understandable, considering he's in an environment which is sometimes ran like a high school drama.

I wouldn't take him too seriously!

Roobs321

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Do they? beyond your bare assertion is there any objective evidence to back that up?

My experience as a kid was completely contrary, wanted to play soccer but mum wanted me to play footy.
My dad didn't let me play AFL as a kid, which was frustrating as a typical kid obsessed with the game. I did soccer, tennis, a lot of cardio sports, but as an AFL-mad kid growing up in NSW I was starved and constantly kicking in the street. My younger brother (who was a 'rougher character' anyway) was eventually allowed when dad had mellowed a bit more.

Remove this Banner Ad