The league lacks characters nowadays

Remove this Banner Ad

Does a "clean game" objectively attract more juniors though? or is it just something that gets bandied around?

As a junior I couldn't have given a rats arse
As a junior my favourite player was Derm, closely followed by Ayres and Dipper. Hardly the "cleanest" players to have played the game.

Only player I could never get mad about giving away a double 50m was Fraser Gehrig

Legend

Yeah he was the last great onfield character I reckon.

Great player who could also do some hilariously stupid things, and when he got mad, whooo boy !!.

I thought the Port Richmond game was fun because there was the villain Lynch and then Hartlett and Dursma getting all chirpy. Added to the game.

Social media hasn't helped, harder to have a personality when everyone is so negative and all these keyboard warriors out and about.

Meanwhile someone like Steve Johnson - who I actually like for what its worth so I'm in the same boat - has been a thug, had a blue with a teammate, had numerous off-field incidents on the drink, has said some mildly arrogant things at times, and he goes and stands near an opposition team huddle (which again, I did think was hilarious) and he's lauded as some sort of good guy rabscallion genius.
Among my favourite opposing players.

In soccer they just pretend to be hurt
I think I wrote thos already somewhere on here: I still remember physical education classes at school. Those guys who played soccer with some club always went to ground when you got near them. Game had to be stopped, teacher rushed towards the scene, they were helped to the sidelines. And nothing had happened in the end. They probably learn this before even touching their first ball...

Characters are disappearing not just in footy but everywhere.
Comedy will disappear in around 50 years or so, as making fun of anyone, anywhere or anything will be classified as bullying. Even laughing at yourself will be classified as social suicide.

Guess the only bright place will be jail!

I like Sicily and Papley
I like Toby Greene

Is there some data or evidence backing that notion up? I am not challenging you, I am genuinely interested if the data actually backs up that widely held assertion.

It's a reasonable inference to draw on a taste test but I feel it may be overblown when confronted with actual analysis.

Also, there's a big thick line between king hit's and cheap shots as opposed to 'character'.

Fair call, there has to be a differentiation between characters and thugs because we certainly dont want to see footy revert to the old style of having players knocked out through dirty play.

As far as the data is concerned some statistics are available from the Australian Sports Commission and AusPlay, showing for the year 2019 seeing approximately 400,000 children participating in out of school (AFL) football programs vs 695,000 for soccer in comparison.

Other survey data also indicates that from a gender basis of soccer & AFL has a participation rate of 21.9% (soccer) vs 14.6% (AFL) for boys.

The thing is though, when a player shows any personality, they get hammered from pillar to post from the media and the general public.

People say they want characters, until they get one and they don’t like it.

I want players from my team to have character and the should be universally admired and respected for being so.

Any player from another team who says boo is a complete flog and a disgrace to the game who should be run out of the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can be a character without being a flog. I'd point to Mitch Robinson as someone who transitioned from being an outright flog to simply being an outspoken character who gets into an argy-bargy now and then.

Some posters seem to think being a thug means being a character.

I'd rather see someone like a Nathan Grima with some funny banter than some sniper.

Characters are disappearing not just in footy but everywhere.
Comedy will disappear in around 50 years or so, as making fun of anyone, anywhere or anything will be classified as bullying. Even laughing at yourself will be classified as social suicide.

Guess the only bright place will be jail!

Are there any consistently funny comedians or comedy TV shows that don't involve cutting others down, making them look stupid, or making others feel "less than"? Not too much comes to mind right away.

Look at the discussion something simple like Dhursmas bow and arrow caused. That’s the problem. Here is a young talented player who creates a trademark of sorts and half the league is quick to criticise him for it.

Look at the discussion something simple like Dhursmas bow and arrow caused. That’s the problem. Here is a young talented player who creates a trademark of sorts and half the league is quick to criticise him for it.
But really, so what?

Sure, he will cop some flack for it. It goes against the grain for some people who have an aversion to show ponies. Especially in this country. By the same token there are just as many who love it. Certainly the commentators lose their s**t whenever Charlie Cameron revs his motorbike.

If a player is discouraged from showing their personality because they will cop some amount of criticism for it then frankly they need to harden up. The career of an AFL player is not one free from public scrutiny. Never has been and never will be. Fortunately it doesn’t seem to have stopped Dursma and good luck to him.

I used to think the lack of personality in the league was due to it being drowned out. I now tend to think there just aren’t as many personalities coming through the ranks. The Matt Rowells of the world are becoming the rule, not the exception.

Given the way social media and how Australian Media works, especially with how "passionate" some supporters are.. why would you want to be a character? It's just a wave of abuse on and off the field, even for things they don't even do - like umpiring and MRP decisions. It's better just to not bother.

Does a "clean game" objectively attract more juniors though? or is it just something that gets bandied around?

As a junior I couldn't have given a rats arse
But mums do.

NRL had a big problem with their juniors getting less players because the game was on the nose with so many mothers.

They do the driving to practice and games, so yeah it does matter in the big picture.

The thing is though, when a player shows any personality, they get hammered from pillar to post from the media and the general public.

People say they want characters, until they get one and they don’t like it.
Exactly.

A player can't even dye their hair now without people getting stuck into them especially if they haven't won a premiership.

Exactly.

A player can't even dye their hair now without people getting stuck into them especially if they haven't won a premiership.

I love it when a player dyes their hair and has a bad game, theres always at least one Boomer who says “they need to remove the hair dye” as if it had any bearing on their performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back