Remove this Banner Ad

Dont be a lemon

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 2, 2006
Party time all the time
AFL Club
Essendon
A new HBO drama series starting on Monday in America. A quick Google search doesn't say anything about it airing here but I think we know how to work around that...

In the series, as in Perrotta’s novel, an unexplained event causes 2 percent of the world’s population to disappear one crisp October day. It’s an event very like the Christian rapture, except there’s no rhyme or reason to those taken. It’s just as likely for sinners and innocents to be caught up. The series opens with a riveting depiction of that day, in which director Peter Berg, in one fluid camera movement, suggests the panic of a mother suddenly realizing her baby is no longer there, before leaping three years into the future, when both science and religion have essentially given up on trying to explain what happened, and others are hoping to move on with their lives. Yet those attempts to forget are stymied at every turn, sometimes just by a physical reminder of those disappeared—and sometimes by factions actively trying to force humanity to remember.

http://www.avclub.com/review/leftovers-bleak-brutal-brilliant-television-206204

Last edited:
Every review I've read so far have been overwhelmingly positive. Sepinwall was practically gushing.

I was already in because of Lindelof, despite any feelings I've had about his work post Lost (and the end of Lost), but him back on television is pretty big.

Never been a big Justin Theroux fan, but Liv Tyler's in it so it's all good. Not sure if it's going to be soaring in popularity considering how dark and depraved the show seems to get. But I'm all in.

A line from Sepinwall

"The Leftovers" (it debuts Sunday night at 10) is a show that will make some of its viewers want to slit their wrists. Many will hate it. But there will be viewers in whom it strikes a chord so deeply that they will feel themselves overwhelmed by it in the best possible way: not like they're drowning in the misery, but like it's teaching them a new way to breathe.

A new HBO drama series starting on Monday in America. A quick Google search doesn't say anything about it airing here but I think we know how to work around that...

Looks good, based on a novel you say?...

• Banned
Don't be ridiculous. That never hap-

hbo_the_newsroom.jpg

Oh. Nevermind...

Don't be ridiculous. That never hap-

hbo_the_newsroom.jpg

Oh. Nevermind...

Just because you didnt like the newsroom does not mean others didnt like it. i enjoyed it. But the whole Summer shows are crap is talking about network/basic cable shows. HBO can have hits or misses at anytime of the year that crap horse racing one was a November show IIRC.

Im looking forward to this. Premium cable has good shows this time of year like first few seasons of true blood and Ray Donovan . and some of the better cable channels also do [Breaking bad was a summer show] The Strain of FX looks good thats a summer show. same with the Bridge.

Ive been looking forward to this for about a year when i first herd about it. should be another great HBO show. Sucks that the talks for American Gods for a HBO show fell through i think they wanted to pair this with it.

I thought it was alright. not the best start to a series. but enough to keep me interested a few more weeks. Not one of the shows where one episode will let you decide if you keep watching it. has potential and planted a few story arcs. There was a lot going on.

I had expected it to drag me in more like True Detective did where i would be hooked with in the first few mins. But i think in the next few weeks it will have a moment that will pull you in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very creepy in parts. Any guesses for what the end game is. Jeeso? Aliens? Some kind of dimensional shift or some other scifi shits? I'm not sure whether any of these would be satisfying.

OMG this. I stopped about 35 mins into it. The first 5 minutes was spectacular CGI and then the rest babble and chatter about wtf....blew the CGI budget in those 5 mins.
What I can't understand is why they thought creating a tv series based on a pretty bad movie would be something.

Really happy with both episodes so far. It seems the online detractors are all complaining about things not being answered yet or the possibility that *shock horror* some things might not be answered.

I guess that's the day and age we live in where everything must happen now now now now now.

Watched the first 3 eps back to back last night, digging it. Really weird in parts, or rather an undercurrent of weirdness/creepiness just below the surface, which I love. Liking the quick jump cuts back to traumatic events as a character is remembering and police chief Garvey's dreams too. Acting overall seems solid if not spectacular so far.

The chain-smoking cult is awesome, can't wait to see where they go with that. Was pretty sure Garvey had snapped and created himself a Tyler Durden in the dog shooting man, but that seems to not be the case after the daughter takes the beer from him and asks who was that. And then Garvey ends up finding his bagel in the toaster after all, seems like he's not crazy (yet) which is even more intriguing.

Very creepy in parts. Any guesses for what the end game is. Jeeso? Aliens? Some kind of dimensional shift or some other scifi shits? I'm not sure whether any of these would be satisfying.

Don't worry about 'the explanation' not being satisfying enough - with Lindelof at the helm, there's a stone cold ironclad guarantee that we will never find out. I'd probably be even more into this show if I didn't know he was the showrunner. But as someone else mentioned the show isn't really going to be about the disappearance, it serves more as the back drop for story and character development, so I'm happy to give it a go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back