Switch The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Remove this Banner Ad

DDqCxOjUMAAKuy0.jpg

DDqCoZPUwAAxFvy.jpg

Is anyone surprised by the big patches of unexplored areas on their map? Some of them aren't out of the way places, there are huge chunks in the middle of the map.

Very surprised. After 115 hours i thought i would've had a lot of the map covered, but nope, huge swamp regions left completely unexplored. I can see myself putting in another 100+ hours in exploration and Korok seed collecting.

Jumped in to master mode today... yeah they're really not ******* around. Had to avoid combat for a while after i tried to take on a few mobs. Upgrading them isnt the bad thing, its the regenerating health that makes it a lot harder.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

So have finally gotten round to putting serious time into this after playing the prologue area a few months ago.

It took a while but once the game has its hooks in you it doesn't let go. The early game is somewhat of a love/hate experience. For all of the good things that it does the frequency of rain combined with low stamina bars makes for a frustrating experience. The weapon degradation only maximises that, and once you get a few decent things it essentially discourages engaging in combat. With lower tier hordes as you're essentially just subbing out all of your decent gear for weak clubs and such.

Now that the grumbling is (mostly) over my overall experience has been excellent. Eventually you build up your stamina bar, you get a good run with the weather and the game is a joy to explore. There are some design choices here that work well because Nintendo has spent the last 6 or so years polishing the hell out of it. The autonomy to mark the map as you see fit works well here because the world itself is a joy to explore (when it isn't raining). It's something that would be next to useless in the latest copy and paste Ubisoft world.

I'm finding myself discovering features that I've been missing for most of my playthrough because I simply didn't explore hard enough, consult a guide or perhaps I'm blind. I only learned last night that I could upgrade my runes because I never revisited the tech lab until then. I only realised what Korok Seeds are used for because I started reading the first couple pages of this very thread.

The Shrines themselves are pretty much perfectly designed, most can be done inside 5 minutes or so which is the right amount of challenge. You feel smart when you work them out, even when most of the solutions are obvious. Working your way through it is still enjoyable. The motion control ones can eat a dick though.

The divine beasts are good, although possibly as I have had the master sword for 2 of them I haven't found them very challenging. In fact I've been wandering around so much that I'm pretty well kitted out. So the fact that you can tackle any of the 4 in any order probably means that the later ones are easier.

The game really is great, the reward you get for just trying stuff is great. The possibilities seem endless and the thought processes behind the layering of systems is so deep.

The only major design change I'd consider is offering more story, there really isn't a lot by this stage of the game. I get that the story is just an excuse for an adventure, but it feels lacking compared to the depth on offer in the gameplay.

TL: DR I just rant about how good Zelda is.

So have finally gotten round to putting serious time into this after playing the prologue area a few months ago.

It took a while but once the game has its hooks in you it doesn't let go. The early game is somewhat of a love/hate experience. For all of the good things that it does the frequency of rain combined with low stamina bars makes for a frustrating experience. The weapon degradation only maximises that, and once you get a few decent things it essentially discourages engaging in combat. With lower tier hordes as you're essentially just subbing out all of your decent gear for weak clubs and such.

Now that the grumbling is (mostly) over my overall experience has been excellent. Eventually you build up your stamina bar, you get a good run with the weather and the game is a joy to explore. There are some design choices here that work well because Nintendo has spent the last 6 or so years polishing the hell out of it. The autonomy to mark the map as you see fit works well here because the world itself is a joy to explore (when it isn't raining). It's something that would be next to useless in the latest copy and paste Ubisoft world.

I'm finding myself discovering features that I've been missing for most of my playthrough because I simply didn't explore hard enough, consult a guide or perhaps I'm blind. I only learned last night that I could upgrade my runes because I never revisited the tech lab until then. I only realised what Korok Seeds are used for because I started reading the first couple pages of this very thread.

The Shrines themselves are pretty much perfectly designed, most can be done inside 5 minutes or so which is the right amount of challenge. You feel smart when you work them out, even when most of the solutions are obvious. Working your way through it is still enjoyable. The motion control ones can eat a dick though.

The divine beasts are good, although possibly as I have had the master sword for 2 of them I haven't found them very challenging. In fact I've been wandering around so much that I'm pretty well kitted out. So the fact that you can tackle any of the 4 in any order probably means that the later ones are easier.

The game really is great, the reward you get for just trying stuff is great. The possibilities seem endless and the thought processes behind the layering of systems is so deep.

The only major design change I'd consider is offering more story, there really isn't a lot by this stage of the game. I get that the story is just an excuse for an adventure, but it feels lacking compared to the depth on offer in the gameplay.

TL: DR I just rant about how good Zelda is.
Just on this I agree completely and im hoping the upcoming DLC helps fill that void.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the moment it's my 2nd favourite Zelda game just under Ocarina. It's immense and every time I play I discover something new.

Hell I do hope Nintendo drag this one and continuously release DLC for it for a while, I don't want to be done yet.

I've been avoiding fighting Ganon specifically for this reason lol I don't want it to end

Ticked off the 4th Divine Beast last night. Also found and ticked off Eventide Island.

Need a few more items and I'll have a fully upgraded Ancient Armour set.

Need to have a crack at those roaming monsters. But need to work out how to properly engage it. I just slid off of the thunder one when I tried to get close to it.

Ticked off the 4th Divine Beast last night. Also found and ticked off Eventide Island.

Need a few more items and I'll have a fully upgraded Ancient Armour set.

Need to have a crack at those roaming monsters. But need to work out how to properly engage it. I just slid off of the thunder one when I tried to get close to it.

Eventide was a great little discovery - for ages I could see the island but it took me a while to get there. I wasn't expecting a 'Survivor' experience but it showed the depth of the game.

Finally getting stuck in to the master sword trials. Finished the beginner set before i went out this morning.

Having the sheikah slate abilites readily available helps a lot, didnt use many of them during the main game. Putting up some ice cover and then climbing and jumping off of it for some slow motion bow kills has been extremely satisfying.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Well this is an interesting update.
http://www.vooks.net/breath-wild-updates-1-3-1-adds-new-way-get-gear/

"Another day, another update to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. But this isn’t any ordinary update, this is a system first for the Nintendo Switch.

Amongst the bug fixes and gameplay improvements we normally see (including the fix for a bug that prevented players from 100% completion in Master Mode), the patch notes for Version 1.3.1 revealed an interesting new mechanic for getting gear. Sometime tomorrow, a Switch news channel will open called “The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – Tips from the Wild” and in it, you’ll be able to launch the game from certain posts to receive items in-game.

This is a first for the Nintendo Switch, and to be honest, we didn’t even know that it was a possibility until today. We don’t know what kind of items this will give, but apparently some items will be inaccessible at certain points in the game, depending on in-game progress and the player’s location. This also means that the Switch version now has features that the Wii U version doesn’t."

So I've got the master sword, all the towers and I've gotten through 2 of the divine beasts and I just don't see the hype. I'ts a solid game but it all feels a bit pointless when there's very little reward for doing something other than to say you've done it. Although there's plenty in the world as far as wildlife and mobs it feels empty at the same time because fighting mobs is almost pointless when it just degrades your weapons and you get bugger all back in return. I hate the climbing in the rain mechanic as it just makes exploring a chore. Also does anyone else have issue with the controls? I cant count the number of times I've pressed the wrong button because they're in the wrong place

I will say the shrines have been fun and even working out how tho get to the top of some of the towers has been enjoyable. The 2 divine beasts I've done so far were a let down as they were really no harder than a shrine. Hopefully the last 2 will be better and from what of seen of Hyrule Castle I'm really looking forward to exploring in there.

So I've got the master sword, all the towers and I've gotten through 2 of the divine beasts and I just don't see the hype. I'ts a solid game but it all feels a bit pointless when there's very little reward for doing something other than to say you've done it. Although there's plenty in the world as far as wildlife and mobs it feels empty at the same time because fighting mobs is almost pointless when it just degrades your weapons and you get bugger all back in return. I hate the climbing in the rain mechanic as it just makes exploring a chore. Also does anyone else have issue with the controls? I cant count the number of times I've pressed the wrong button because they're in the wrong place

I will say the shrines have been fun and even working out how tho get to the top of some of the towers has been enjoyable. The 2 divine beasts I've done so far were a let down as they were really no harder than a shrine. Hopefully the last 2 will be better and from what of seen of Hyrule Castle I'm really looking forward to exploring in there.

I might be wrong but when you fully upgrade the climbing gear you will be able to climb walls when it rains.

I've finished the game twice, finishing all shrines and side quests.

Finished all DLC (except for master mode).

On master mode now, about 20 shrines in....

I cannot believe how much I love this game, it is phenomenal. I'm a software developer and it blows me away the depth and quality of this game.

I still find myself looking at youtube trailers and feeling that awe.

Amazing. I play Splatoon 2 more now at home as I love that and it speaks to my competitive side, but this is my go to on the train.

I've finished the game twice, finishing all shrines and side quests.

Finished all DLC (except for master mode).

On master mode now, about 20 shrines in....

I cannot believe how much I love this game, it is phenomenal. I'm a software developer and it blows me away the depth and quality of this game.

I still find myself looking at youtube trailers and feeling that awe.

Amazing. I play Splatoon 2 more now at home as I love that and it speaks to my competitive side, but this is my go to on the train.
Same here, its what makes the switch so great, playing a game of this scale on a handheld still blows me away. Im playing Master Mode now and ive got 1 devine beats left.

Not sure if anyone else has realised but you can make the blood moon have no effect, just means you need to keep an eye on the time more often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back