The Lego Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If the royalties was a issue going to Bell and boeing, technically they should pull the Land Rover defend as they are the vehicle of choice for the British military

Has anyone built the Jurassic Park Rampage set here?
Yeah that argument has come up in some of the forums. I think the issue isn't that Lego has policies about such sets, but that these policies seem to be interpreted differently on occasion, and in this case the decision was seemingly forced by a protest group making a fuss. If Lego had initially (and to be fair, correctly) identified this as a military vehicle, it wouldn't have gotten past the idea stage.

And if one is highlighting military connections from Lego's existing licences, Volkswagen anyone? Especially given the latter's rather optional approach to environmental considerations in the recent past.

In a very last-minute decision, Lego has canned the 42113 V-22 Osprey, ostensibly because it violates their own policy on military vehicles. It seems some protest group in Europe complained about royalties going to companies that make war hardware. Shame because it looked like a great set.

Lego has done military before (eg Sopwith Camel) and they also licence from companies like Volkswagen and Land Rover who make military vehicles, seemingly without complaint.

Lego has had a decidedly non-realistic military approach to things throughout it's history, and those exceptions are easily explained:

- Sopwith Camel is a historical plane far removed from modern day military, and the plane itself merely only has a small ambiguous front-firing gun
- Volkswagen and Land Rover vehicles are clearly not military with very obvious civilian uses in the models
- The royalties of it would indeed probably flow to Bell and Boeing - not sure Lego fans would be comfortable with that
- It is not a civilian plane, it's reserved for the military, if you want to go down the route of 'well what about a model of a Boeing 747?'

Suggestions of 'PC gone mad' is not really consistent with Lego's approach to their models since it's founding. I was surprised it got that far in the first place.

Lego has had a decidedly non-realistic military approach to things throughout it's history, and those exceptions are easily explained:

- Sopwith Camel is a historical plane far removed from modern day military, and the plane itself merely only has a small ambiguous front-firing gun
- Volkswagen and Land Rover vehicles are clearly not military with very obvious civilian uses in the models
- The royalties of it would indeed probably flow to Lockheed - not sure Lego fans would be comfortable with that

Suggestions of 'PC gone mad' is not really consistent with Lego's approach to their models since it's founding. I was surprised it got that far in the first place.
The first Lego castle sets had yellow pieces for the castle instead of grey for fear kids would repurpose the pieces for making guns.

The first Lego castle sets had yellow pieces for the castle instead of grey for fear kids would repurpose the pieces for making guns.
I will try and find a reference for this but the history I read was that Castle was an unknown for Lego, and they were unwilling to commit to new pieces in the grey the designers wanted. They were instead required to use only the existing palette, and the only colour that had all the pieces they needed was yellow.

It was only later releases of Castle that were rendered in grey, when Lego was confident of the market.

- The royalties of it would indeed probably flow to Bell and Boeing - not sure Lego fans would be comfortable with that
- It is not a civilian plane, it's reserved for the military, if you want to go down the route of 'well what about a model of a Boeing 747?'

The only difference between the vw beetle from military to civilian was the paint job..
Blue bricks make it alright?

Lego happy to make military/navel ships to combat the pirates.

What about the marvel helicarrier? All it is a navel aircraft carrier that flies.

Silly rule by Lego, but their choice.
Marvelling engineering wonders shouldn't be a sin.

The only difference between the vw beetle from military to civilian was the paint job..
Blue bricks make it alright?

Lego happy to make military/navel ships to combat the pirates.

What about the marvel helicarrier? All it is a navel aircraft carrier that flies.

Silly rule by Lego, but their choice.
Marvelling engineering wonders shouldn't be a sin.

Like I said re: Sopwith Camel, things like pirate ships and medieval castles are perceived more as historical rather than military. It's not going to inspire kids to start the next Crusade or become the next Blackbeard.

The Avengers Helicarrier is a distinct entirely fictional model and I cannot believe you are throwing that one in. Are you going to mention the Batmobile next?

I don't think Lego wanted to have a kid playing with their VH-22 Osprey in front of the TV while a real life one was airlifting troops into Afghanistan. If you think of it like that, it makes complete sense.

Like I said re: Sopwith Camel, things like pirate ships and medieval castles are perceived more as historical rather than military. It's not going to inspire kids to start the next Crusade or become the next Blackbeard.

The Avengers Helicarrier is a distinct entirely fictional model and I cannot believe you are throwing that one in. Are you going to mention the Batmobile next?

I don't think Lego wanted to have a kid playing with their VH-22 Osprey in front of the TV while a real life one was airlifting troops into Afghanistan. If you think of it like that, it makes complete sense.
Helicarrier is based off a real life aircraft carrier.
A child can launch his planes from it while watching the USA deploy fighter jets from theirs. Because it has 4 outer rigged propellers doesn't make the use of the concept fictional.

There is a spin off from the V-22 project for civilian use, the AgustaWestland AW609. Not sure why Lego didn't model that instead. Perhaps in time they will redesign it along those lines.

As expected, 42113 Osprey has turned up on e-Bay, presumably from resellers who had stock ready to go for launch day. Yours for a lazy $2,000 :mad:
What can lego do in that case? Sure they can ask for the stock back, but do the sellers have any legal obligation to return the product? Obviously Lego can just not distribute to those people again, but are they just out of luck getting them back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What can lego do in that case? Sure they can ask for the stock back, but do the sellers have any legal obligation to return the product? Obviously Lego can just not distribute to those people again, but are they just out of luck getting them back?
I guess it depends on the terms of sale. I would imagine though that once stock is ordered, paid for and shipped, there isn't much the supplier can do. In normal circumstances there is an embargo on selling until launch date, so perhaps that's a clause Lego could invoke.

In any case, completely avoidable had Lego invoked its own rules earlier in the process. Hard to believe it was anything other than the protests against it that finally killed it.

The Grand Piano 21323 ($530, 3600 pieces) has been announced overnight. As speculated, it's playable and uses the Powered Up app to play music either automatically or by pressing the keys. Impressive, although it means it does away with the strings in the fan model and is less authentic.

I might get this when I get the Osprey I've been hanging out for. Oh, wait...

The Grand Piano 21323 ($530, 3600 pieces) has been announced overnight. As speculated, it's playable and uses the Powered Up app to play music either automatically or by pressing the keys. Impressive, although it means it does away with the strings in the fan model and is less authentic.

I might get this when I get the Osprey I've been hanging out for. Oh, wait...

I was just about to ask what we thought about this new pi-anny

I quite like it - I also quite like the NES & TV. Neither really line up with my typical collection items, but I do like the whimsy.

Having to work on myself quite a bit to talk myself out of it. Trying to reduce the amount of $$$ I'm spending in case of, well, you know :sick:

I was just about to ask what we thought about this new pi-anny

I quite like it - I also quite like the NES & TV. Neither really line up with my typical collection items, but I do like the whimsy.

Having to work on myself quite a bit to talk myself out of it. Trying to reduce the amount of $$$ I'm spending in case of, well, you know :sick:
Yeah there's a raft of desirable higher-priced sets recently that are definitely on the wish list. Discretionary spending has taken a hit though recently of course, and the fact that Lego has almost none of the new releases in stock helps. The Crocodile I think is top of the list for me, and a bit more manageable price-wise. Would love to get the piano though, if ever spending $530 on a toy becomes financially viable again.

Quick reminder of the release tomorrow of a whole bunch of sets, including Mario, the piano, new technic (though sadly not 42113 Osprey) and the NES. Recent history would suggest these will sell out almost immediately, so you'll probably need to stay up if you want them now.

Howdy experts. Is there anywhere else other than lego.com I can get the NES? They don't use zip pay and I don't want to pay outright. A quick search shows me nothing but hoping you guys can help.

Howdy experts. Is there anywhere else other than lego.com I can get the NES? They don't use zip pay and I don't want to pay outright. A quick search shows me nothing but hoping you guys can help.
I don't know for certain but it's listed as an "exclusive" on the Lego site, which generally means it's either only available from there or from there and at only one other retailer (eg the Crocodile is exclusive to DJs). They do that with certain sets to encourage retailers to stock them.

Most sets become generally available a few months after this "exclusive" period. I would expect this one to turn up eventually.

EDIT : I'm Rick James Bricks lists the NES as "coming soon" and he takes zip pay. Might be worth calling to find out when he'll have it.

Use the Zip mobile app and browse the website. You will be able to use your account to then get a Zip credit card which you can use on the Lego site and pay off. Quick hack I learnt recently.

Will allow you to build up VIP points while being able to pay it off in installments.

Good timing with the lock down in NZ the family can finally finish their project
4160.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back