The Lego Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Once upon a day, Ideas sets (like the Saturn V) didn't have stickers, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside now. I'm just pleased the ISS had printed solar panels ;).

We've just done Diagon Alley and for me the sheer number of stickers ruined the build experience. Not a fan ...

Unfortunately due to work commitments I may not get started until the weekend or the school holidays, but I will definitely document it for the folks in this thread that expressed an interest. Thanks for the patience!

I've read it was a common problem, and I hope I was one of them that got a set with uniform colours. I will definitely post pics if there is a mismatch.
You can near on guarantee that there will be a mismatch of the lime green colours, Lego aren’t doing and haven’t done anything about it so you’re sure to see some differences.
I’ll be buying the set regardless but let us know if it’s really noticeable after the build is complete.

You can near on guarantee that there will be a mismatch of the lime green colours, Lego aren’t doing and haven’t done anything about it so you’re sure to see some differences.
I’ll be buying the set regardless but let us know if it’s really noticeable after the build is complete.

I read other forums before purchase, apparently more than half who bought the Lambo didn't have noticeable mismatches - however, if you do have a mismatch Lego are reluctant to give you pieces to fix it.

In any event I will certainly report my findings.

Have been recollecting childhood sets, and others my inner 10 year old had lusted after. Some ebay, some bricklink, all secondhand. Have only given the packages a cursory look, far less painful for everyone involved if I just order missing parts later on locally.
Have no issue building with banged-up sets, should round out the nostalgia. Late 70s up to early 90s is more my bag than the current releases.

main.jpg

main.jpg

main.jpg

main.jpg

main.jpg

And numerous others which I won't put. Apologies for my text/image splooge :(

Have been recollecting childhood sets, and others my inner 10 year old had lusted after. Some ebay, some bricklink, all secondhand. Have only given the packages a cursory look, far less painful for everyone involved if I just order missing parts later on locally.
Have no issue building with banged-up sets, should round out the nostalgia. Late 70s up to early 90s is more my bag than the current releases.

main.jpg

main.jpg

main.jpg

main.jpg

If you're into vintage Technic and can find it, I recommend the 8880 Supercar. Very advanced for its day, I'm pleased I still have mine almost complete. Sadly it is the only model of that vintage I have, I love your plan to collect and rebuild all those sets.

We'd love to convince you to try a modern set and compare - the build experience is awesome. Probably my favourite recent Technic is the rough terrain crane 42082.

main.jpg

8848 Was the first Technic set I got.

Still have it!

20210327_110903.jpg

An enormous box (minifigs for comparison). I liked the exterior design choices they made to put the rear of the car at the 'back' of the box to emphasise the hexagonal elements that are everywhere on this car. FYI, the minifigs are the founders of the Harry Potter houses, yes I'm showing off.

20210327_111246.jpg

Presentation is top notch for sure - this is no ordinary set. The six boxes are arranged in the shape of the engine covering.

20210327_111411.jpg

Manual is buried underneath the boxes - two parts, and each booklet is heavy, the reason why is below

20210327_112102.jpg

A sample page - this is a short history of the founder of Lamborghini (did you know the founder made tractors first?). The first manual has about 20 or so pages about the design of the car, both in real life and in Lego. Plenty of videos via the QR code but I'm not really that interested to check them out.

20210327_112116.jpg

And so it begins...each box begins with something like this, explaining some key features - this one told me that there will be a viewing window to see the gearbox in action when the car is complete. For those curious, there are 1081 steps in total.

Last edited:
20210327_133829.jpg

The rear axle and suspension. Well I assume it is, as it's unable to steer. I assume a fairly standard set up on many Technic cars.

20210327_160827.jpg

This however is where it gets astounding. A 200+ piece gearbox by my estimate. This is the top, which is still impressive enough...

20210327_160906.jpg

...until you flip it over. I honestly find it difficult to fathom how the set designers do this (yeah yeah I assume computers take care of a lot of it nowadays, but still an impressive achievement).

I should add that some of the gears are added as 'free-floating' which means you need delicate and nimble fingers to keep them steady as you push the cross-rod through. Those with clumsy fingers will find those steps difficult - I can take a pic of an example of that step later if people want to see what I mean. Otherwise the instructions made sense easily - I found the forum complaints about the instructions so far to be unwarranted. Time will tell...

Box 1 still hasn't finished, by the way - I assume the remaining bits are to build up the architecture after I mate the gearbox and rear assembly together.

Last edited:
Great progress, looks good. Yeah so far it's not unlike the Bugatti and I'm pleased about the ability to see the gearbox - with the Bugatti you spent hours building it and couldn't see it work (or not work if you build Technic like I do :p)

Did the Bugatti have a similar gearbox set up? I think this Lambo has an eight speed gearbox.

I'll finish up Box 1 tonight then move onto Box 2 tomorrow. Already highly impressed, if this standard keeps up I'll recommend it as a must-buy for Technic fans.

Did the Bugatti have a similar gearbox set up? I think this Lambo has an eight speed gearbox.

I'll finish up Box 1 tonight then move onto Box 2 tomorrow. Already highly impressed, if this standard keeps up I'll recommend it as a must-buy for Technic fans.
Yeah it was an 8-speed with paddle shift, and I think you're right about it being a must-buy. There was some consensus on the forums that it wasn't sufficiently different to the Bugatti to warrant both, but that this one is a superior build. The only negative has been the inconsistencies in the colour of the lime green pieces.

Yeah it was an 8-speed with paddle shift, and I think you're right about it being a must-buy. There was some consensus on the forums that it wasn't sufficiently different to the Bugatti to warrant both, but that this one is a superior build. The only negative has been the inconsistencies in the colour of the lime green pieces.

For me personally I'm not a Bugatti fan and found their Veyron and Chiron garish (both the real life cars and Chiron Lego set). I wanted the Porsche when it was first released but it's gone now. So when this came out I figured may as well stump up the $500 or so for it. This would only be my second Technic set (although I've built plenty in the past).

So far, I haven't noticed inconsistencies in the Box 1 lime green bits. The connectors and rubber struts (both made out of a different material) are noticeably different but that was expected anyway - I'd be more concerned if the same material green pieces have different colours. I'll take pics when there are more of them next to each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20210327_164336.jpg

This step is an example of what I was talking about before - the blue gear is not resting or attached on anything before they ask you to push the rod through to secure it. Hope you don't have fat fingers - however it's not as bad as the one below...

20210327_204257.jpg

This was a bad step in my view. Surely I shouldn't have to position the (I assume) Lego clutches and those yellow spinny things in the right positions before attaching this fiddly bit at exactly the right angle. The potential to f*** it up at this step is high and I assume a mistake here would be fatal for the workings of the gearbox.

20210327_213859.jpg

I've been taking my time and doing it properly and double checking, but it's probably about 4 hours of work to finish box 1. Still a long way to go. Note the asymmetry of the build.

Last edited:
Apologies for several large photos, but this one was an interesting box (number 2 out of 6)

20210328_144554.jpg

The first bit involved constructing the front suspension and axle set up - fairly stock standard I think for large Technic cars.

20210328_144756.jpg

The step where it was attached to the rest of the chassis. Please note that the V12 engine is the same old engine design of probably the past umpteen years for larger cars, just with 12 pistons lol. Lots of nostalgia building that one.

20210328_142955.jpg

This annoyed me. These two pieces are exactly the same length, in the same box, in the same bag, with slight colour variation. Sure, most of us could easily tell it apart, but would it kill Lego to avoid this kind of clash? I am sure it can be avoided by using two smaller struts with the black one (as the bottom one is used in places where viewers would not see normally see it, and the top is used in the interior of the car).

20210328_161543.jpg

The sexy view of the exposed engine bay. I liked the intricacies of the exhaust (probably 30 pieces each side), so many weird angles but the steps were easy.

20210328_213446.jpg

The finished car up to the start of box 3 - I have mostly enjoyed the build so far even if it's incredibly complex and fiddly at times. The following two photos are a small dampener on things though...

20210328_213507.jpg 20210328_213549.jpg

I was only given one printed part - the other is blank. The manual clearly states both should be printed. Should I write to Lego to get another Lamborghini printed part for the engine cover? Obviously the weight sensors couldn't pick this up as the two would weigh exactly the same.

Final interim words - immense build that has indeed been challenging as f*** - my favourite probably being the transmission system, never seen anything like it in Technic before. The 18+ age suggestion is definitely warranted. Apart from the quibbles I have described above in several posts (couple of tricky or confusing steps, the Lamborghini printed part), it's been well worth it so far. I won't be able to touch it again until Easter probably, let me know if there's anything so far you folks want me to elaborate on. To spare Chief's servers and your phone data, I won't post photos until next long weekend at the earliest.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a $570 set. If it isn't complete you should certainly order a replacement part. You can do this online and it's pretty straightforward. Just be aware the parts come from overseas and it can take a few weeks.

Might be prudent to wait until you're finished in case there's anything else missing.

Shuttle is now available, but it seems the companion Ulysses satellite set that was to be redeemable with VIP points is delayed. No word on when the latter is expected. This means that if you buy the shuttle now, you'll need to place another order (and potentially pay shipping) to get Ulysses when it releases, which kinda negates the benefit.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited:
Mandalorian The Razor Crest

RRP:$199.99 Details
Price:$135.20
You Save:$64.79 (32%)

20210402_093145.jpg

And so with the long weekend we resume...this box (number 3) and presumably the rest up to 6 are smaller than the first two boxes, as we move onto adding details now that the main mechanisms under the body have been completed.

20210402_101045.jpg

This is becoming common - parts with slightly different colours appearing the same bag. I got halfway through making a seat before I realised I stuffed up here.

20210402_103320.jpg

The seat itself however was done well in terms of designing the anchor points so it gave precisely the right angle that Lego wanted so it somewhat resembled a real bucket seat. I also took this photo to show there is no visible colour mismatch - other forums often complained this was where the lime green pieces on the seat were noticeably different as the printed Lambo logo part was in a different bag to the non-printed parts.

20210402_122130.jpg

Bag 3 almost finished, note the angle of the seats - they are rigid and not done with any movable parts but rather with well-placed joints, so I thought that was quite neat.

20210402_140626.jpg

Officially halfway (box 3 of 6 completed, but probably far less parts remaining). Note the rear spoiler mechanism is movable and controlled via a rod in the front passenger seat - you can see the red axle underneath that controls the movement.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back