The Lego Thread

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
I love the DB5 but honestly that set looks dissapointing, just looks too blocky for me liking.. I expected better..

does look a little blocky, but i will still get it, i havent brought any lego for a while, need to build something

I built my first lego set in ages last week! It was awesome I was wondering why I stopped so I went to buy some more then I saw the price...

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I built my first lego set in ages last week! It was awesome I was wondering why I stopped so I went to buy some more then I saw the price...

Keep an eye on brickingaround.com - an Australian Lego blogger who keeps track of all the sales and deals locally. There is plenty of activity in this space - I haven't paid anything near RRP in recent times. Also amazon's prices are somewhat fluid, it's worth a check there every now and then (eg they have at the moment the Pirate Roller Coaster for $75 (RRP $120), and shipping is free over $50, or with no minimum if you have Prime)

I'm tempted to invest in the Harry Potter sets as they might be worth a lot if this lot follows the same trend as the last one released in the early 2000s

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Possibly. If you're buying Lego for investment do check the various advice sites - it's not always the obvious or large or limited sets that hold their value. A case in point - the most valuable set I had was the original Taj Mahal - biggest ever released at the time and only in market for about eight months I think. So what did Lego do but re-release it, and not only that, the re-release is identical.

The original Harry Potter wave I think is the most valuable (and was released before the change of the grey colours, so it is harder now to recreate them from parts). The later releases were more available and popular, although one of the last sets released, Diagonalley in 2011, is one of the most expensive on the aftermarket.

The best investment sets are generally those that have a limited release (like, for example, the ones given free with purchase - one of the recent Christmas giveaway sets can fetch a few hundred dollars now) or have rare parts (or better still, rare minifigures)

Start with brickpicker.com if you're interested in investigating further.

My philosophy is to buy sets I would enjoy building and displaying. If they turn out to be valuable then yeah, one day I may be able to sell and buy some more. That's quite different to investing. I think if I were doing it for investment there'd be a lot of chance involved. But possibly no more so than the stock market ;).

PS there are rumours of a "UCS"-like Hogwarts coming before Christmas. I think that's the one I'd go for, but those sets often stay in market for a long time (eg Disney Castle)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
nwlmszdgk8yikyx0cjvr.jpg

Looks good but can anyone really justify the $290 price tag?

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Re postage from Lego shop online - everything I've had has come in a robust box well packed with those plastic air pocket things, and I've not had damage. Others have occasionally reported shipping damage, but this is invariably sorted by Lego's customer service.

Local delivery is by the post office, just allow 2-3 weeks as it comes from Europe.

Oh, and as it's classed as a foreign transaction even though you pay in $A, you may find your bank adds the foreign transaction fee - on my card last time that was 3% so not insignificant.

Back