The Lenny Hayes factor

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Assistant coach at GWS.

Lenny Hayes was one of the best tacklers in the business when he played at the Saints.

Don't think it's any coincidence that the Giants are tackling so well during this finals series.

They've tackled the hell out of the Bulldogs, Brisbane and the Pies so far.

They just might tackle their way all the way to a flag.

Underrated skill tackling.

Nah.

The tackling component of their game while decent for a top side, doesnt stand out as anything special. They were out tackled 96-84 today anyway.

Their dominance is obviously more to do with having one of the best midfields in the game: Whitfield, Kelly, Coniglio, Taranto, Hopper etc. They are at an advantage on some teams even if they lose 2-3 of those players.

Take the Hayes hard-on (and the umpire whinging) back to the Saints board.

It's not about how many tackles you make, it's how you tackle.

You need to tackle to make an impact, tackling can be an offensive weapon as well as defensive.

It's no coincidence that both GWS and Sydney are two of the best tackling sides, they are taught by rugby experts.

There's an art to it.

Assistant coach at GWS.

Lenny Hayes was one of the best tacklers in the business when he played at the Saints.

Don't think it's any coincidence that the Giants are tackling so well during this finals series.

They've tackled the hell out of the Bulldogs, Brisbane and the Pies so far.

They just might tackle their way all the way to a flag.

Underrated skill tackling.
Well you have a better opinion of Lenny Hayes than I do.....

Sure he is a good tackler, i wont deny that.

I will more likely remember him as a ball magnet than a good tackler.

Then I looked at his stats.....

His Peak years were 2008-2010. Not to say he had solid years before 2008 or after 2010.

2008:
Games:24
Tackles: 144
Averages disposals per game: 24.1

2009:
Games:22
tackles:139
Averages disposals per game: 28.0

2010:
Games:25
Tackles: 177
Averages disposals per game: 27.4

From Pennant Hills a suburb in North West of Sydney.
Why GWS didnt chase after him I will never know. Would of been a good player to revolve around.

From NSW. yeah he would of been 32 years old in 2012, but he would of been a good leader.

Considering Hayes retired in 2014, GWS would of needed an old general to set standards on being a good AFL player for 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back