The "Let's Make Chief's Comic Purchases Tax Deductible" Review Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

To kick this off I'll provide my invaluable comments on some recent events.

Infinite Crisis: OMG what a load of over-blown rubbish. I mean... purple death ray? :thumbsdown:

52: I dunno. I'm buying it but my heart isn't in it. I'm a few weeks behind in my reading with this one.

Civil War: A great achievement. I am not a Marvel reader, sticking mainly to Bats and Supes, but The Punisher has been a fave of mine for many years. Civil War is a believable, much more human approach to re-jigging a comics universe.

The Punisher: I have not been disappointed with a single issue of this new Punisher series. The art is great, the villains are evil.

The Phantom: Though the material is a bit "nice" for today's grittier comic scene I will never stop buying The Phantom. The villains get punched, get scared and stay scared. Always pleasant to read.

Batman Confidential: Nice art, nice story. Not massively memorable though.

Superman Confidential: I really enjoy this treatment of Supes. A simpler style but with expressive character features. Less is more.

Superman/Batman: If one mory storyline concludes with "but then we realised it was a dream" I will shove this up the fat arse of the guy who sells it to me every month.

All-Star Supes/Bats: Works of art every one. Pity they don't come out as regularly as they should but that is the price of goodness.

Also picked up the hardcover "300" today. More on that later.

Phew. Now to put in my BAS statement. See you next month.

Can't say I'm motivated to read any of the new comics available in today's market.

I prefer a simpler time, and in my opinion, an artwork style that is more consistent, more realistic, and the more likely form of comic artwork.

My favourites will always be the original Avengers, Thor, Xmen, Defenders, Champions, Fantastic Four, Dr Strange, Metal Men, Teen Titans, New Teen Titans, Legion of Superheroes and Wendy Pini's Elfquest.

There were artists then who pushed the envelope, Steranko, Adams, etc, and storytellers like Roy Thomas, Chris Claremont plus heaps of others.

Today's comics seem to be visual extravaganzas, each one trying to outdo the predecessor, each one a bit more abstract, which lends a visually striking feel, but fails to add to, or advance the story.

Truth be known though, I'm hardly the right person to critique modern comics, as I do not purchase many, for the above reasons which strike me when glancing at the offerings available.

Besides, the old comics I enjoy are financially rewarding

• Admin
Sorry you answered yourself there - you don't purchase many modern comics :)

When computer colouring was in its infancy there were some ripe comics out there.

Now with comics like All-Star Superman and All Star Batman giving us good stories AND great art I don't feel you're on the mark 100%.

Capitalist, you need to answer some questions for yourself

Do you want to read comics for enjoyment
Do you want to collect comics as an investment?

If it's the former, go for it, just sample lots of different comic genres, you'll find something to your taste. Once you do, don't be scared to continue to experiment, there are some gems to be read.

If it's the latter, unless you are serious, NO. Buying comics as an investment is like any other commodity market, if you do not know what you are doing you'll get burnt. Imagine buying shares without market knowledge, or buying gem stones without knowing what to look for. Then you have the problem of storage for comics, they are very susceptible to the ravages of time. They need to be boarded, bagged, boxed and kept away from temperature fluctuations, and insect infestation, PLUS be in MINT condition, eg without reading creases, nicks, grubby fingers, in short, be an unread comic. Then the biggest question is WHICH comics to buy?

The correct titles are very valuable, others are a very poor return on your money

This bloke has many very collectable comics for sale, have a look at the prices

https://secure.crypthost.com:8014/index.html

Capitalist, you need to answer some questions for yourself

Do you want to read comics for enjoyment
Do you want to collect comics as an investment?

If it's the former, go for it, just sample lots of different comic genres, you'll find something to your taste. Once you do, don't be scared to continue to experiment, there are some gems to be read.

If it's the latter, unless you are serious, NO. Buying comics as an investment is like any other commodity market, if you do not know what you are doing you'll get burnt. Imagine buying shares without market knowledge, or buying gem stones without knowing what to look for. Then you have the problem of storage for comics, they are very susceptible to the ravages of time. They need to be boarded, bagged, boxed and kept away from temperature fluctuations, and insect infestation, PLUS be in MINT condition, eg without reading creases, nicks, grubby fingers, in short, be an unread comic. Then the biggest question is WHICH comics to buy?

The correct titles are very valuable, others are a very poor return on your money

This bloke has many very collectable comics for sale, have a look at the prices

https://secure.crypthost.com:8014/index.html

cheers mate - it's for entertainment though - so I might have to have a look around

Remove this Banner Ad

Back