Toast The Lewis Young feel good thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know anything at all about how Lewis Young is going? He looked so promising back in 2017, then was barely seen last year and failed to play in either of the JLT matches. At 197cm and nearly 90kg, and with sticky hands, you'd think he's exactly the type we need playing right now if ready

Does anyone know anything at all about how Lewis Young is going? He looked so promising back in 2017, then was barely seen last year and failed to play in either of the JLT matches. At 197cm and nearly 90kg, and with sticky hands, you'd think he's exactly the type we need playing right now if ready
Once Morris has retired

Once Morris has retired
He is out of contract this year and is a SA kid, are the club not worried about him being a flight risk if he has to wait for Morris to retire? I get that it will probably happen this year, but surely we have to be giving him game time before end of year or else why would he bother signing another contract?

Also, any news on how he's been performing in the VFL?

He is out of contract this year and is a SA kid, are the club not worried about him being a flight risk if he has to wait for Morris to retire? I get that it will probably happen this year, but surely we have to be giving him game time before end of year or else why would he bother signing another contract?

Also, any news on how he's been performing in the VFL?
I read that he took a lot of intercepting marks in the VFL practice match last weekend. No idea yet what happened with him yesterday. I guess the coaches are not convinced he can make the step up yet but I'm not convinced about the likes of Cordy and Trengove as key backs either.

I read that he took a lot of intercepting marks in the VFL practice match last weekend. No idea yet what happened with him yesterday. I guess the coaches are not convinced he can make the step up yet but I'm not convinced about the likes of Cordy and Trengove as key backs either.
Hope he's progressing well in the VFL. Physically he seems big enough to match it with most Key Forwards in the AFL, but I guess it could come down to experience as well as fitness. Hoping to see more of him this year

Are you sure it was Lewie and not Lachie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange one. Looked great in 2017 but really looked nothing like it last year when he played. Probably make or break this year - he would want to be impressing by the end of the season.

Obviously Morris means he will get opportunities. Hopefully his foot skills have picked up a bit.

If the MC think that he is close would hope that he gets an extended run at it to prove himself. We are short on options so it could work for Lewis as he gets a chance to build some confidence at the level.

Which could be all he needs as he has a lot of the physical attributes to make CHB his slot in the team

Strange one. Looked great in 2017 but really looked nothing like it last year when he played. Probably make or break this year - he would want to be impressing by the end of the season.

Obviously Morris means he will get opportunities. Hopefully his foot skills have picked up a bit.
He looked pretty lost in the few vfl games I watched last year. There’s a player in there though.

We stuffed him early by playing him in the AFL after he had a couple of shockers. He played - had even worse shockers and lost his confidence. He was barely 18 and couldn’t get wet in the shower without running around.

However, it did look like the club realised the mistake. The talent was obvious. It is so uncommon to have a kid come in and hold their spot in a KPD role (Weitering says hello). Naughton and Dustin Fletcher are freaks not normal even for those who become stars. We should expect these players to start to establish themselves in the 24/25 range where improvement will flatten out and decision making/confidence will be there or not.

As a stark reminder Morris turned out alright after a slow start! What we would do to have a few more of him.

They didn’t want a Watts issue so they took the pressure off and won’t bring him back in until he gets his confidence back. He played a couple of games early on clearly of AFL standard but I expect unless he strings together a few games killing it in the VFL they wait. He is 20 and we have time.

The club must have faith he will get there - otherwise why lose as many KPDs we have and not replace him with back like Sam Collins, Rowe etc - plenty around. We have fletch and young as back up and that is it.

With the Morris injury the temptation to bring him back early will be high and will depend on whether in the practice matches and preseason he has a step up.

If Young is not ready play Fletch (he is a premiership KPD) and keep developing Young until he is ready - he will then develop in the right time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back