Official Club Stuff The Licence The Lunch

Remove this Banner Ad

To answer the Chris Grant one for you, he was all but signed and was going to be our skipper.

Some punk kid sent him 50 cents with a note saying "please dont leave Footscray"... Grant couldn't leave after that.

I swear if I ever see that kid.

Probably isn't a kid nowadays

To answer the Chris Grant one for you, he was all but signed and was going to be our skipper.

Some punk kid sent him 50 cents with a note saying "please dont leave Footscray"... Grant couldn't leave after that.

I swear if I ever see that kid.

I spoke with a former Port Board member about this once. The little kid story was a wonderful human touch bit of propaganda. The truth is Footscray matched our offer.

I spoke with a former Port Board member about this once. The little kid story was a wonderful human touch bit of propaganda. The truth is Footscray matched our offer.
Searched "Chris Grant Port" on the Bulldogs board and apparently we only offered him a 1 year deal?

Searched "Chris Grant Port" on the Bulldogs board and apparently we only offered him a 1 year deal?

Oh nonsense, you don't actually believe that when we were trying to establish ourselves with a high profile key forward? Multi year multi million $ deal.

Oh nonsense, you don't actually believe that when we were trying to establish ourselves with a high profile key forward? Multi year multi million $ deal.
Yeah agreed, It does sound rubbish.

Yeah agreed, It does sound rubbish.

He could quite easily have been appointed captain. It was a massive play by Port and he was almost over the line. Footscray came to the party at the last minute.

He could quite easily have been appointed captain. It was a massive play by Port and he was almost over the line. Footscray came to the party at the last minute.
Would have been great to sign him considering in 1997 he lead the tally for the Brownlow (but was ineligible)

Shane Crawford has previously claimed we came at him hard and also offered up the captaincy to go with a fat contract.

In a parallel universe there is a lithograph hanging in the Port Club showing Grant, Crawf and Wangas fighting over the #1 guernsey.

2ci7dcn.jpg

Shane Crawford has previously claimed we came at him hard and also offered up the captaincy to go with a fat contract.

In a parallel universe there is a lithograph hanging in the Port Club showing Grant, Crawf and Wangas fighting over the #1 guernsey.

2ci7dcn.jpg

And Nathan Buckley, with Andrew Dunkley as vice captain. ;)

Oh and Tony Modra at full forward.

And Nathan Buckley, with Andrew Dunkley as vice captain. ;)

Oh and Tony Modra at full forward.
Has anyone mentioned the Modra part? He came for talks it was claimed.

Has anyone mentioned the Modra part? He came for talks it was claimed.

I heard Port approached him but he said no thanks, his life was difficult enough as it was playing for the crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard Port approached him but he said no thanks, his life was difficult enough as it was playing for the crows.
They mentioned how he turned up to Alberton wearing a hooded top and sunnies. That part may be apocryphal.

They mentioned how he turned up to Alberton wearing a hooded top and sunnies. That part may be apocryphal.

If it ain't it Snopes, it's true. ;)

I heard there was definitely a meeting with Bucky. No mention on his attire. ;)

Bucky talking about meeting Modra at Friday's lunch - was the first time I have heard that story.

Thinking about it now - I dont think we could have offered Modra what he wanted - relief from the media circus and constantly being harrased. Modra to Port would have just made the circus more farcical. Going to WA was probably the best thing for him.

** The question I'd always wondered about. Why Brisbane had not taken Primus

Im not sure that one is all that much of a secret. There was plenty of press about it at the time. Primus refused to go to Brisbane, Brisbane were allowed to include him as a listed but uncontracted player and we recruited him as one of the four uncontracted players we signed. Brisbane got pick 3 and 26 as compensation for losing a player that had never set through the door.

Im not sure that one is all that much of a secret. There was plenty of press about it at the time. Primus refused to go to Brisbane, Brisbane were allowed to include him as a listed but uncontracted player and we recruited him as one of the four uncontracted players we signed. Brisbane got pick 3 and 26 as compensation for losing a player that had never set through the door.

The Allan Scott sponsorship of Brisbane was known too.

Im not sure that one is all that much of a secret. There was plenty of press about it at the time. Primus refused to go to Brisbane, Brisbane were allowed to include him as a listed but uncontracted player and we recruited him as one of the four uncontracted players we signed ...
Yeah but that left the perception that Brisbane turned him down and we leapt at the chance. Which is how I remembered it. Fair enough I didn't recall him knocking them back, which I guess was something that could only have been allowed in a merger.
The Allan Scott sponsorship of Brisbane was known too.
Sure, but Cunningham could hardly have made it clearer that Brisbane smoothing Matty's path to us earnt and/or enhanced the value of that sponsorship. Not if Bucky had stood on the table, winked and tapped his nose. He even commented that there's probably nothing the AFL could do to us about it now.

Sure, but Cunningham could hardly have made it clearer that Brisbane smoothing Matty's path to us earnt and/or enhanced the value of that sponsorship. Not if Bucky had stood on the table, winked and tapped his nose. He even commented that there's probably nothing the AFL could do to us about it now.

Someone can write 2+2 on the blackboard and it's pretty clear that the answer is 4, the teacher can tell you if you really need confirmation.

Bucky talking about meeting Modra at Friday's lunch - was the first time I have heard that story.

Thinking about it now - I dont think we could have offered Modra what he wanted - relief from the media circus and constantly being harrased. Modra to Port would have just made the circus more farcical. Going to WA was probably the best thing for him.

Rucci talking about it in this article

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ress-conferences/story-fnia3nqh-1227035027659

Cunningham revealed the Coleman Medallist spent an hour at his Alberton home to listen to the Power’s proposal to make him an inaugural Port Adelaide AFL player. And there was some unease for Cunningham as he saw Modra turn up in his Crows gear in a moment that would have secured Ray Titus a front-page photo across the nation to expose an ambitious recruiting dream from the AFL club-in-waiting.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ress-conferences/story-fnia3nqh-1227035027659

My interpretation of the Collingwood offer (i could be wrong) was that it came after Port had entered the AFL (or around the time of entry) and Collingwood was offering to take the Magpies off our hands so that they would manage the SANFL Magpies as subsidiary of Collingwood and leave the Port in the AFL to us...

The event was filmed so it may be available in some fashion for those who couldn't make it.
I for one would pay for a DVD copy..looking forward to reading Oakley s book. I have several boxes of the papers from back then. Would very much have liked to have attended..Thanks to everyone for all that you have posted up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back