Prediction The lid

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
a Melbourne badge posted the kind of crap he posts here?
ban-hammer-newB.jpg

???

In how many finals did they come in as a top 4 side? What were their winning records going into those finals? How many home finals compared to away finals did they have?

There's a difference between a side finishing 8th multiple years in a row and not having an impact in the finals, and a team finishing in the top 4 (2nd or 3rd) years on year and not doing anything in the finals.

Keep trying Biggy. You might just make a reasonable point at some stage.

Why don't you do the research to your own questions and share the results here.

= Geelong will never win again

#derp

Resorting to your typical hash-tagging does not add merit to your viewpoint.

As I have stated already, we would need to head into the finals and turn around a rather negative win/loss record.
Winning a couple of finals will be a big ask. Winning three or four is why we need to pump the breaks on premiership talk.

Adelaide haven't failed to perform in finals, after a good season and from a point of advantage, time after time again. GWS, in their first finals series, smashed Sydney and only just lost to the eventual premier. That's a far more laudable finals effort, again the first for that young group, than Geelong's near-loss to a cooked Hawthorn side and a smashing from Sydney at the 'G. For Geelong, these failures were just more installments in a series of finals failures coming after promising H&A records and with considerable advantage (i.e. Geelong has never played an away final under Chris Scott).

Adelaide’s loss to West Coast at home in the final round of the season, was probably the biggest choke job of the lot. They got their shocker out of the way before the finals even started.

Fair point on GWS.

In how many finals did they come in as a top 4 side? What were their winning records going into those finals? How many home finals compared to away finals did they have?

There's a difference between a side finishing 8th multiple years in a row and not having an impact in the finals, and a team finishing in the top 4 (2nd or 3rd) years on year and not doing anything in the finals.

Yet playing so many finals, for scant return, would suggest they've been a let down, would it not?

Resorting to your typical hash-tagging does not add merit to your viewpoint.

As I have stated already, we would need to head into the finals and turn around a rather negative win/loss record.
Winning a couple of finals will be a big ask. Winning three or four is why we need to pump the breaks on premiership talk.
Doesn't explain your pessimism dished up every week. Why?

Because you're talking about premierships. You can't base a side's premiership chances off five outings against mediocre sides.

Geelong was able to beat top sides (bar Sydney) last year. Every season is different. Hawthorn would have been considered a challenging opponent last year too.

From what I've seen, Adelaide are much improved on last year, and I'm not so sure Geelong is actually playing better or worse this year than last.
How do you know those 5 sides are crap? You don't.

We may simply be better than good clubs for a 1/4 after 3/4s of arm wrestles, or better than crap clubs because we are crap.

Right now the down low clubs are down low partly because we beat them.

How do you know those 5 sides are crap? You don't.

We may simply be better than good clubs for a 1/4 after 3/4s of arm wrestles, or better than crap clubs because we are crap.

Right now the down low clubs are down low partly because we beat them.

One reason why they are where they are is because we helped put them there. What more can we do other than play a game each week in the order the AFL have scheduled. So far we've done well.

Doesn't explain your pessimism dished up every week. Why?

Until we get to another grand final with a list as talented as what we currently have, no one should be talking us up as premiership material.
People made excuses for the 2013 & 2014 teams. No rucks, no Vardy, no fit Hawkins, no Menzel etc, etc. We went out and brought in rucks as well as other stars from other clubs.
We then beat all the top sides last year but proceeded to get embarrassed in September.
On that basis alone, I have to believe we have a very soft underbelly when tested in a do or die situation such as finals. I cannot see this team competing well enough against teams who don't have such an excessive reliance on two stars like Selwood & Dangerfield.
GWS is a unified team. They are currently winning without their best inside midfielder, Coniglio.
Adelaide are winning without their most dominant tall forward from last year, Jenkins.
These are sides who will be feared when the real stuff begins.
We won't be feared at all as teams will look at our recent finals performances and see inconsistency.

Until we get to another grand final with a list as talented as what we currently have, no one should be talking us up as premiership material.
People made excuses for the 2013 & 2014 teams. No rucks, no Vardy, no fit Hawkins, no Menzel etc, etc. We went out and brought in rucks as well as other stars from other clubs.
We then beat all the top sides last year but proceeded to get embarrassed in September.
On that basis alone, I have to believe we have a very soft underbelly when tested in a do or die situation such as finals. I cannot see this team competing well enough against teams who don't have such an excessive reliance on two stars like Selwood & Dangerfield.
GWS is a unified team. They are currently winning without their best inside midfielder, Coniglio.
Adelaide are winning without their most dominant tall forward from last year, Jenkins.
These are sides who will be feared when the real stuff begins.
We won't be feared at all as teams will look at our recent finals performances and see inconsistency.
All completely irrelevant to week-by-week pessimism. What you are describing is scepticism about ability to win finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can't get excited when your team is 5-0 and a percentage of near 150%, I don't see much point following the game. .. enjoy the wins, embrace the excitement, if we fall on our faces, oh well, at least I enjoyed it along the way.
Exactly. Our memberships and seats take quite a chunk out of what disposable income we have. Enjoying the wins and hoping for deep September action based on the wins makes for a happier life. If the wheels fall of in the last few weeks so be it. Why be miserable about it in advance when you can be happy week to week with the wins. Optimism is not a dirty word.

Exactly. Our memberships and seats take quite a chunk out of what disposable income we have. Enjoying the wins and hoping for deep September action based on the wins makes for a happier life. If the wheels fall of in the last few weeks so be it. Why be miserable about it in advance when you can be happy week to week with the wins. Optimism is not a dirty word.

Hallelujah Sisters and Brothers. Here is someone who lives in The Light.

Spot on supporter IMO :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I don't see any problem with Geelong supporters starting to display arrogance, we deserve to be confident, look at our W:L ratio the last +200 games, and the amount of premierships, and better still we have the reigning Browlow medallist and the Best Captain we've ever had. Its time we back our team.

The lid is off from my perspective, I'm not arrogant, but I have confidence we can take the Premiership this season considering our start and the fact that our nemesis in the Swans is 0-5. We have a genuine chance this season no doubt, and I'll tell you something, our side has not even peaked yet and we are 5-0.

I prefer a quiet confidence, rather than 'arrogance'.

The word has a dirty connotation, though I don't think CatRiot meant it in that sense.

Quiet confidence is the right zone to be in. I agree that CatRiot wasn't advocating being an 'in ya face' a-hole like some are. I saw a couple of those yesterday at docklands thankfully not wearing Geelong colours.

Quiet confidence is the right zone to be in. I agree that CatRiot wasn't advocating being an 'in ya face' a-hole like some are. I saw a couple of those yesterday at docklands thankfully not wearing Geelong colours.

Confidence is ok as long as it's accompanied by a concession that it could be misplaced in an instance, or altogether.

No, I am always the quiet confidence man, but if I think we have a shot to win the flag, I tell people my view, I'm not scared to hide it.

Very happy to be 5-0, and have derived great enjoyment from the performance of several individuals so far this season: Hawkins, Menzel, Parfitt, Selwood, Touhy

But I don't for a second buy that we are a genuine contender based merely on our ladder position. In with a shot for sure, particularly as we are now a good chance to make top 4, but we have played at least 8 s**t quarters so far and could easily have been 3-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back