Prediction The lid

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time I blew the lid with arrogance was the 2011 Finals series. It all started with that big win over the Hawks, our nemesis in the opening SF, it was like a pressure-release of built up pain from the 1980s to finally beat the Hawks in a final. I remember being drunk and telling the Hawks fans they may as well go home at Q3 time, it was a once in a lifetime event for me, I don't think I'll ever do that again, that was purely a pain release. After winning the 2011 GF, I have mellowed out significantly, and I'm quite content to have seen our club win 3 premierships in my life time, some don't ever see it. These days, its just quiet confidence when I think we will win.

Its Rd7 next week and early May.

Which is 5 months from the business end.

The undies stay well away from the head right now.

Lid is on.

Firmly.

Go Catters
If the lid being taken off means Geelong fans screaming and getting excited and celebrating how amazing Geelong is and getting into the spirit of things, I say rip the roof right off!

I'd rather 100000* enjoy our season and love every minute of it and be over the top as opposed to some negative misery guts who we are too familiar with on here.

Successful footy periods are too short not to go crazy with and enjoy while your on top.

I say stuff the lid, let's blow it off and love our footy even more. Nobody should be living in fear about what a small minority of miserable people who have turned their backs on the football club are going to say to their bold comments if it goes pear shaped. Show your colours and just love what we are producing

I always see a problem with Geelong supporters displaying arrogance. It's ugly to see in any supporter of any club.

I don't mind a little arrogance as long as it isn't entirely baseless. IMO its a symptom of enjoying how your team is playing.

Throwing away the lid is about enjoying how we're playing in the present without any pointless worrying about any potential future negative outcomes.

I don't mind a little arrogance as long as it isn't entirely baseless. IMO its a symptom of enjoying how your team is playing.

Throwing away the lid is about enjoying how we're playing in the present without any pointless worrying about any potential future negative outcomes.
Yep. This team looks like it is genuinely taking shape and gaining an understanding of how good it can be, good mix of players emerging and it's actually starting to be exciting-all those intangibles on the road ahead! Let's have some fun.

I am seriously thinking we are going to win the flag this year.

I said the same thing after round 5, when predicting Jimmy Bartel would win the Brownlow in 2007, I also said we would win the flag in the 2011 season around the same time.

Barring any major injuries, here are the reasons why we should win the flag:

1. Hawkins and Menzel are in serious form, they will kick 100 goals this season between them easily.
2. Defence is much quicker this season with Tuohy, Guthrie, Stewart - loads of rebound and pace, and we have much more overlapping runners.
3. Dangerwood is better than ever.
4. Dangerfield himself expected that we will be better in 2017 when interviewed several times during 2016, citing the large turnover in players need time to gel.
5. We have the best Captain ever for Geelong, he just wills the team over the line whenever the game is in the contest.
6. Our 4th Quarter record is phenomenal this season, suggests an excellent pre-season
7. Midfield depth is much better this season - Duncan, Menegola, GHS contributing very well. Dangerfield can go forward and can kick goals.
8. Plenty of defensive pressure in forward line with Cockatoo, Parfitt and Black. All excellent tacklers.
9. Smith is a good ruck, under-rated. Much better playing Smith/Blicavs combo and an extra runner in the team line-up. Stanley is back-up.
10. Watch Aaron Black, he could be the lead-up CHF we are missing, can get the ball and attacks the leads, knows how to deliver the pill.
11. Our main nemesis in the Swans appear to be finished this season with 0-5.
12. Tigers are near top of ladder - we always punish them.
13. Crows are never a threat to us, we can cover them.
14. We always beat the Doggies.
15. We have some seriously quick players, and when they link up with hand-passes in the open we are very dangerous - Cockatoo, Murdoch, Dangerfield, Bews, Tuohy, Motlop, Stanley - rarely get caught in open spaces.
16. We are 5-0, and we have 7 home games at Skilled Stadium yet to have been played at the back end of the season.
17. We seem to be quite free of injuries.
18. We are yet to see the best of Scooter, and he might bring in another layer of manic aggression in the midfield.
19. Parfitt and Parsons are quality players, and they are hard to match up against.

Having said all this, how do we match up against GWS? Well time will tell, and I'd probably back us in at the MCG.

We should not be 8/1 odds.

If the lid being taken off means Geelong fans screaming and getting excited and celebrating how amazing Geelong is and getting into the spirit of things, I say rip the roof right off!

I'd rather 100000* enjoy our season and love every minute of it and be over the top as opposed to some negative misery guts who we are too familiar with on here.

Successful footy periods are too short not to go crazy with and enjoy while your on top.

I say stuff the lid, let's blow it off and love our footy even more. Nobody should be living in fear about what a small minority of miserable people who have turned their backs on the football club are going to say to their bold comments if it goes pear shaped. Show your colours and just love what we are producing
you are quoting me from april 2016...

but yes, the wins are great and I do enjoy them - but the sum total of those parts, in May , does not equal Flag talk and lids off.

Yet.

Go Catters

The good old lid debate is back. I was beginning to wonder when we would see it again. Sitting at 5-0, I think the lid is slightly ajar.

Over the years we have matched up well and have had the measure of the crows and the dogs (although the crows look to have taken another step this year while the dogs are about the same as last year), but it's GWS that worry me the most. If we can beat them, the flag is definitely there for the taking.

The lid is firmly on for me.

We have started well, we need to be better than we are now in September to be a serious threat... but we may well do that.
What I am impressed with is the more even spread we are getting.
It seems a somewhat even year, might just take advantage at the right time and do something special

But I'm not booking some days off work after the GF just yet...

We have started well, we need to be better than we are now in September to be a serious threat... but we may well do that.
It seems a somewhat even year, might just take advantage at the right time and do something special

Well and truly WELDED on.

Enjoy the ride its a long season ahead, so much can and will happen before finals!

Agree, the lid is bolted absolutely tight. The only team we've played so far who made the finals last year is Hawthorn, and they are not going to go anywhere near it.

If we were 3-2 (like we were very, very close to being) then we'd be feeling pretty differently about this.

The good part is that we did look pretty good against StKilda, and the two teams who seem to match up best against us (Melbourne and Sydney) are a long way off the pace. All the same, Adelaide are looking scary-good right now, though at least we've played very well against them over the last few years.

Anyone talking about taking the lid off after 5 less than impressive wins needs a ban from the boards to get there head read, seriously for all we know Danger or Selwood could cop a big injury or the team has a form slump and we could lose the next 10, for me the lid is firmly bolted down until at least round 20, at least then we will know where we stand.

Anyone talking about taking the lid off after 5 less than impressive wins needs a ban from the boards to get there head read, seriously for all we know Danger or Selwood could cop a big injury or the team has a form slump and we could lose the next 10, for me the lid is firmly bolted down until at least round 20, at least then we will know where we stand.

Kangas last year....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be such pussy supporters... Be confident. Lid is off.

Although an injury to Dangerfield, Selwood, Hawkins, or Menzel, and we can drop off. However, every team has stars that are hard to replace though.

I don't believe in lids. I will enjoy it when we are playing well and winning. Worrying about ifs buts and maybes are the stuff of grey hair (I have enough already) and ulcers.

If we're going with the idea of a lid, it is pretty firmly on for me.

We have a hell of a long way to go, we would need to improve a lot in a few areas to be a genuine contender for the flag. Having said that, you have to enjoy any success (and 5-0, even playing average sides, is decent success in my eyes) you get, because you never know what's around the corner. Look at Hawthorn, they made a semi final last year, and while we all expected them to drop a bit, nobody expected them to become the worst team in the comp... I'm not expecting something as dramatic as that to happen any time soon, but footy is a funny game sometimes.

As far as i'm concerned, enjoy it while it lasts. :):D

:cool: And that's the double ton up for me! :cool:

I don't care for a lid, I'll enjoy every win this year like I have every other year.
If we win the flag that's great, if we don't then ahhh well s**t happens but it won't stop me actually enjoying the Cats winning.

Feel free to subdue your mirth at a Cats victory all you want but you take away 90% of the enjoyment from the game by doing so.

The old motto of one week at a time is fitting, firstly by only taking it one game at a time and not looking too far forward but also by actually enjoying each and every game as they come and not worrying about what might not happen in 4-5 months.

I don't care for a lid, I'll enjoy every win this year like I have every other year.
If we win the flag that's great, if we don't then ahhh well s**t happens but it won't stop me actually enjoying the Cats winning.

Feel free to subdue your mirth at a Cats victory all you want but you take away 90% of the enjoyment from the game by doing so.

The old motto of one week at a time is fitting, firstly by only taking it one game at a time and not looking too far forward but also by actually enjoying each and every game as they come and not worrying about what might not happen in 4-5 months.
Yes. Yes. Yes!

I say stuff the lid, let's blow it off and love our footy even more. Nobody should be living in fear about what a small minority of miserable people who have turned their backs on the football club are going to say to their bold comments if it goes pear shaped. Show your colours and just love what we are producing[/QUOTE

Love your optimism but don't tell us at the end of the year we were never good enough.

If we're going with the idea of a lid, it is pretty firmly on for me.

We have a hell of a long way to go, we would need to improve a lot in a few areas to be a genuine contender for the flag. Having said that, you have to enjoy any success (and 5-0, even playing average sides, is decent success in my eyes) you get, because you never know what's around the corner. Look at Hawthorn, they made a semi final last year, and while we all expected them to drop a bit, nobody expected them to become the worst team in the comp... I'm not expecting something as dramatic as that to happen any time soon, but footy is a funny game sometimes.

As far as i'm concerned, enjoy it while it lasts. :):D

:cool: And that's the double ton up for me! :cool:
Good points, but beware the Hawks, they are not dead and buried yet..

it seems like 'the lid' for supporters is more of a safety blanket, perhaps? especially online, where unfulfilled over-confidence remains and can be thrown back at you.

but getting excited and expecting a flag, even now, as a supporter wont alter anything. if you enjoy doing that, fill your boots. and im generally fairly superstitious, particularly about the number 4 (but thats neither here nor there...)

a sport/team ive mentioned a few times in here had what i consider an interesting take on the 'one week at a time' motto... the chicago cubs in MLB.

in their version of pre-season 2016, their coach laid out 180+ baseballs on the field, and told every player and staff that they represented all 162 regular season games plus the post-season that they needed to overcome to win the championship they set themselves to win. the concept was 'embrace the target', and he quite literally heaped pressure on the team to win it all.

the coach set out a diagram stating in part: Pressure [Is] a Motivator, a Positive, an Indicator You Are in the Right Place.

i find the 'just a week at a time' thing to fall a bit flat at times. there are teams around the world, and in the AFL, who have a focus well in advance of their next opponent. of course, ignoring the present totally can ruin your future plans, so im not advising teams only prepare for the final game of a season...

but i have no problem with teams that shoot to win it all, and definitely have no problem with supporters that get excited at the thought.

Why not??

I think it's a cowards punch to criticise anyone who says we are a shot at winning the flag given how hard they are to win and just how much luck and great odds you need to fall your way in every aspect. The odds are always much much greater of not winning it than winning it. It's a real cowards punch to go after someone saying I told you so predicting a grand final win, given how the odds are always much higher of you losing one.

Football consists of 22 home and away games and 4 finals. I would rather enjoy every single one of those wins and run down the street screaming how amazing Geelong is and talking them up enjoying every bit of those 22 weeks opposed to some person worrying if we are better than this or that team or so and do has this and that better, it's still not good enough or we are going to fail in 3 months time wa wa wa... these people just simply don't enjoy football like the rest of us do.

Sure I always love to analyse the games and look for improvements, but this goes for even the best sides, there is always things to improve on, it's not a blight.

Teams are only at the top for so long, what we have had the last decade is unheard of, and I am going to tell as many people as I want that we are a great side and are capable of beating everyone and anyone and going all the way.i will leave the misery guts negativity to the usual on here.

Why not??

I think it's a cowards punch to criticise anyone who says we are a shot at winning the flag given how hard they are to win and just how much luck and great odds you need to fall your way in every aspect. The odds are always much much greater of not winning it than winning it. It's a real cowards punch to go after someone saying I told you so predicting a grand final win, given how the odds are always much higher of you losing one.

Football consists of 22 home and away games and 4 finals. I would rather enjoy every single one of those wins and run down the street screaming how amazing Geelong is and talking them up enjoying every bit of those 22 weeks opposed to some person worrying if we are better than this or that team or so and do has this and that better, it's still not good enough or we are going to fail in 3 months time wa wa wa... these people just simply don't enjoy football like the rest of us do.

Sure I always love to analyse the games and look for improvements, but this goes for even the best sides, there is always things to improve on, it's not a blight.

Teams are only at the top for so long, what we have had the last decade is unheard of, and I am going to tell as many people as I want that we are a great side and are capable of beating everyone and anyone and going all the way.i will leave the misery guts negativity to the usual on here.

No problems with your optimism. You make some great points re our game plan/strategy through the course of each season. I did think you were guilty last year of saying that we were never good enough after we were done in the PF, after first posting (earlier in the season) we were in the mix. I don't want to get this into a to-and-fro so please don't go there. That was just how I interpreted your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back