Prediction The lid

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
malthouse was on air years ago saying this was their tactic against our champion midfield in the 07 prelim final, and he went on to say that it single handedly almost worked and won them the game that night.

Surprised you didn't hear it last week. He does bang on a lot about how 2007 was their "missed opportunity". And some pie supporters have often said to me "gee we only lost the premiership by 6 pts that year"
I'll often reply with "no, you actually lost it by 125pts". It takes em awhile to figure that out, if at all.

But there is. Not all Minds are universally wired like yours.
Each win brings us more expectation, more hope.
A loss would be so much harder to accept after all these wins.
A loss at home is even worse, particularly against a team that already had our measure once, and will likely be a finalist if they beat us.
Saints should be in the argument as much as Tigers.
I look at us play, and I still don't see a premiership team- I see snippets , like that third quater v Dogs. I still see average stuff like q1 and q4 v Dogs.
Yet, no other team seems to be better. Maybe, just maybe, Demons at their very best are THE BEST. IDK.
I have for a long time thought we were a middle of the road team , say 5-10th, but clearly, we are better than that.
But what I have gleaned since 2008 is that:-
the outright favourite team can get done in the GF- we were one loss that year, remarkable, Saints were pretty similar in 09.
a team can come from 7th and win in every state and win a GF against all odds- Doggies were amazing
a team can come from losing the first final, travel to WA, and play 4 finals winning the GF- Hawks were also astounding.
a single player can virtually be the difference in a GF- Dusty Martin- we win that 2020 GF if he dnp!!
So there are no conclusions except that anything can and does happen in finals.
You don’t see a premiership team because we aren’t.
That MIGHT change this year but you don’t win premierships in July.
The coach has said multiple times that we are building to play our best football in September.
Melbourne didn’t look like a premiership team this time last year either.

I’d be pretty worried if we were beating everyone with ease right now. That would mean we have peaked, and as everyone knows when you peak it’s hard to maintain that level for weeks and weeks on end.
I like how we are playing.
Building nicely without being perfect across 4 quarters.

Gone full catempire (anyone checked up on lady parma, not like him to miss selection melt night)

The bloody lid is off and its long bloody gone
Got 2011/2013 vibes. The best bloody team in it.

Success or failure will determine which one it is but god damn that lids off.
Genuinely feels like we're the one's to beat this year and not the gatekeeper like we've been recently
Do you think Melbournes best is better than our best?

Surprised you didn't hear it last week. He does bang on a lot about how 2007 was their "missed opportunity". And some pie supporters have often said to me "gee we only lost the premiership by 6 pts that year"
I'll often reply with "no, you actually lost it by 125pts". It takes em awhile to figure that out, if at all.
they came 5th and almost pinched the win off the team who was clearly the best side in the AFL, so i find that bizzare to claim as a missed opportunity as opposed to "geez we almost stole it".

I doubt they beat port adelaide anyway who people look back on now and forget because of the big margin on the day and talk like anyone in the afl could have beaten them, but they were a good side who absolutely smashed two sides in the finals leading into the grand final. They looked a million bucks before hitting us

You don’t see a premiership team because we aren’t.
That MIGHT change this year but you don’t win premierships in July.
The coach has said multiple times that we are building to play our best football in September.
Melbourne didn’t look like a premiership team this time last year either.

I’d be pretty worried if we were beating everyone with ease right now. That would mean we have peaked, and as everyone knows when you peak it’s hard to maintain that level for weeks and weeks on end.
I like how we are playing.
Building nicely without being perfect across 4 quarters.
We aren't beating all teams with ease, and the Saints game will be a real worry.
Bet in 07, and 11, when we were smashing teams all year, and had % over 150, you thought we looked like a flag team.
The comp has changed, and teams are very even, and right now, any of the top 8 teams have some hope.
That has not always been the case.
We do look the best, but we know how fleeting form is.

We do look the best, but we know how fleeting form is.
No, Dubs, a thousand times no. Whatever anyone else says here about how 'likely' we look doesn't bother me at all. But pronouncements like this from you are simply not supposed to happen. Now I really am concerned for our prospects.

:cool:

No, Dubs, a thousand times no. Whatever anyone else says here about how 'likely' we look doesn't bother me at all. But pronouncements like this from you are simply not supposed to happen. Now I really am concerned for our prospects.

:cool:
Today, gyc, today- that is all that counts

I’m excited because we have a gear we haven’t had in previous years and the fact is that there are a lot of teams with question marks at the moment.
Melbourne deserve respect, they’ve been there and done it and even in this up and down run they’ve still shown they have that great footy in them when things click. Sydney despite their reputation as a hardened tough outfit have a record that’s not dissimilar to ours in finals footy in the last 10 seasons so I’m not worried about them from a ‘Sydney know how to get it done’ perspective but they ARE good for at least one good finals performance most years so they’re a danger to us.

We’ve got our best chance in a while though

Ah yes, that famous 'Bloods culture'.

Always brought up when they're going well, conveniently dissapears when they're losing finals.

Ah yes, that famous 'Bloods culture'.

Always brought up when they're going well, conveniently dissapears when they're losing finals.

I don’t disbelieve it exists, they’re the only team that has a record comparable to us in terms of proving that they don’t accept that you have to drop off so good luck to them that earns respect IMO but it does seem strange that we are criticised as much as we are for our finals record when theirs is very similar in the same period

episode 15 removing lid GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t disbelieve it exists, they’re the only team that has a record comparable to us in terms of proving that they don’t accept that you have to drop off so good luck to them that earns respect IMO but it does seem strange that we are criticised as much as we are for our finals record when theirs is very similar in the same period
Was thinking the same thing about finals record. Longmire and Scott both took over in 2011. Very similar although Swans have played in one more and lost GF. 3 to 2, both have one each.

Mines stubborn.

Ive had to go get the rubber matting square for extra grip.

Its a game now. Trying to get a little turn here and there.

Reckon next week its gonna give way and all kinds of stuff will be coming out.

Go Catters

Still taking it game by game, I'm too skeptical on us.

While we look good this year, I still think at times in the past, our best was good enough to win but we often don't bring it when the real stuff begins.

We've won 1 QF and 1 PF since 2011, so we'll see if that changes this time or not. Lose the QF and I think we're in for the same result as usual (SF win and PF loss) Win and maybe things are different and we're a chance.

So lid is well and truly on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back