Prediction The lid

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 points by my count
8 points, 12 points, all irrelevant if we end up playing a team like Collingwood or Richmond at the G in a final.
The benefit is enabling us to peak at the right time.
Playing WCE or GWS at the G would be better supposedly.

Do you agree with the non highlighted part?

I probably do, to a degree.

Still, I always maintain that the true merit of any team is only properly seen in hindsight.

So I wouldn't potentially have been that much more bullish about our line-up during those '09 and '11 seasons than I am with this incarnation now.

2008 had already made it painfully clear how even the most imposing set-up can implode at the most inopportune time. As if my decades of supporting the hoops before that hadn't reinforced that footy maxim strongly enough...

So I would be the first to acknowledge that nothing we've done yet goes close to guaranteeing any finals wins. Let alone a trip to the big dance.

Having said that, I do see much more cause for optimism with this group than I did during our trips to the prelim in '13, '14 and '17.

All in all, unless the injury stick hits hard, I believe the team is far better balanced (and more prepared for the heat of battle) than it was in any of those years.

The lid is the lid.
It has only two states - off and on.
It is either weighed down by disappointment and mediocrity or bulging from beneath with promise and anticipation.
Once off, it's very hard to get back on.
Release it at your own peril.
I use mine as a plaything, like a frisbee if you will, flinging it gleefully toward the horizon with each win on the board.

#flingthelid

Lid is back on for me, mostly because now we have far more to lose.
Sitting 2 games and a wack of percentage on top of the ladder means finals are a foregone conclusion, top 2 is almost a certainty which means anything short of a Flag really won't be good enough.
That changes the entire expectations for me, I had none to start the year so would have been reasonably happy to make the finals, not making them being a failure and bombing out first week being below par and worth questions being asked, but now... now we are currently either the best team in the comp, or equal best (GWS) so with that comes a higher chance of success, and a further full into failure, which scares the **** out of me.
To me losing a GF is still a failure, yes it's a failure within success and worthy of some acknowledgement but it's also the greatest failure, and the fact ultimate success is so close to heartbreaking failure makes me even more nervous about what's to come.
I kind of feel this year might be a year that influences the next decade in a lot of ways, I'm not sure how but I just have this feeling about this group and what may come depending on which way they go, similar I guess to the GFC of 2007, would the next decade have changed dramatically had we lost to the Pies in the PF?
So I've moved into a wary confidence, a sense that our best is good enough and from here we should be looking to a flag, but the understanding there are clubs out there who might feel the exact same way, and with justification.
Don't be scared.

I had us pencilled in for another bottom of the 8 finish, probably not advancing beyond the semi final in a best case scenario. I know, not very imaginative. I just didn't seriously think we'd lost enough talent to sink far, but did not envisage game plan and personnel changes propelling us to the top of the ladder with the tough start of the draw. I thought the Cats would be playing catch up and only generating any serious momentum through the middle of the year - but still with hiccups.

In a way the boys have still had those hiccups, but the difference is the hiccups have been handled and some scratchy/pragmatic wins have been generated. The types of ones that in the past have turned into very poor losses.

What I've always looked at through the previous seasons throughout H&A is form at the G, and interstate. Places where Geelong finals will be held at, basically. It's been encouraging so far but for this reason, throwing in a post-bye round on top, I will be watching the Richmond and Port games with even more interest than usual. Expectations will be raised if these two important tests are passed with flying colours. Hell, even two more scratchy/pragmatic wins will do the job fine.

Let's face it - we had our glory years, and they were pretty recent. What's occurred since has been a side racking up strong H&A seasons with some dreadfully poor finals performances. Not ideal, but not the end of the world. There isn't a huge drought to be breaking, weighing down on all of us. Of course you always want to see your team do their best, so embarrassing finals exits will of course bear warranted criticism - but I don't quite get the fear factor. Enjoy, enjoy - until it ends. Even if you have the eternal cynicism that it will all go up in flames and end in tears eventually.

Basically, that Geelong are even in the race as potential contenders this year has me very excited. Finals records, or no finals records taken into consideration. If it turns out to be a straights sets exit with consecutive 100 point thrashings I'll deal with that when it comes. But fear, because the team are doing well and better than expected? Each to their own but for me far better to have that and eventual crushing disappointment (if the ultimate glory isn't achieved) than a perennial acceptance that success is impossible.

I probably do, to a degree.

Still, I always maintain that the true merit of any team is only properly seen in hindsight.

So I wouldn't potentially have been that much more bullish about our line-up during those '09 and '11 seasons than I am with this incarnation now.

2008 had already made it painfully clear how even the most imposing set-up can implode at the most inopportune time. As if my decades of supporting the hoops before that hadn't reinforced that footy maxim strongly enough...

So I would be the first to acknowledge that nothing we've done yet goes close to guaranteeing any finals wins. Let alone a trip to the big dance.

Having said that, I do see much more cause for optimism with this group than I did during our trips to the prelim in '13, '14 and '17.

All in all, unless the injury stick hits hard, I believe the team is far better balanced (and more prepared for the heat of battle) than it was in any of those years.
Beautifully worded.

Rohan is almost the difference between us looking pretty good, and us looking excellent. He does still go missing pretty badly.

Yeah, Rohan has been unbelievable this year, I think it's fair to say he has exceeded everyone's expectations. His true test however, like many of our players, will come in September. He really needs to perform then, not only for himself, but for this team to go deep.

8 points, 12 points, all irrelevant if we end up playing a team like Collingwood or Richmond at the G in a final.
The benefit is enabling us to peak at the right time.
Playing WCE or GWS at the G would be better supposedly.
You are sounding more and more like the commentariat 'V'. Despite being two games clear with a healthy % few seem to consider us more than an outside chance to take the silverware.;)

That said, we have had a good run on the injury front when compared to our major rivals and I recognise how talent laden GWS and the wobblers are. Quite happy to not be rated by the media hacks btw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just forked out for a Premiership membership, I’m keeping the lid on, but history shows I gotta prepare just in case.
Did mine on Thursday.

Lid still on. Firmly - but really enjoying this

And just getting my * you qantas in early for jacking the fares up in 3 months time

Go Catters

Lid stays on until we win post bye. Every year we’ve won coming off the bye under Chris scott, we’ve won the premiership. Also, whilst I didn’t expect to be 11-1, when I looked at our fixture I was hopeful (and a little confident) of top 4. But I expected a top 4 like ‘17 and ‘18. This team is worthy of their spot. Now to finish it off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back