The line in the sand - punish Bernie Vince

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been thinking about this a bit this week, and the more I think about it the more I'm sold on this idea.

We'll find out a lot about our team this week. I think we'll find out whether we're legit. Not so much in terms of winning or losing- winning won't answer all questions because of how depleted Melbourne is, though losing would be a massive black mark against us.

No, I think the answer will be in how we approach one Mr Bernard Vince. We've twice now let him have his way pretty much unimpeded to carry on a campaign of niggling our best players. The way we let Sloane get smashed with no protection last game was a disgrace, and set the tone for the terrible form that followed.

We now have two weeks to avenge some of our greatest slights this year, the defeats to Melbourne and Geelong. If we're at all serious about being 'the man' (in a champion sense) then we must show something here. We must show that we're a team that doesnt forgive or forget, that we're a team that will not be bullied. We must be into Bernie from before the first bounce, and we must not let up at all. We need some of the harder nuts of our team to show that they'll put the club and it's pride and reputation above personal friendship. I get it, he's an old friend he's an old comrade, he's pretty much a brother to some of them.

No truly great team has been willing to be bullied on the field. We won't be the first. If we want to contend, we must beat up our brother- it's the only way we can send a message to the other teams that think we're easy prey.

*To be clear, I'm not condoning that crosses the line, such as anything that would be an assault for instance.

I've been thinking about this a bit this week, and the more I think about it the more I'm sold on this idea.

We'll find out a lot about our team this week. I think we'll find out whether we're legit. Not so much in terms of winning or losing- winning won't answer all questions because of how depleted Melbourne is, though losing would be a massive black mark against us.

No, I think the answer will be in how we approach one Mr Bernard Vince. We've twice now let him have his way pretty much unimpeded to carry on a campaign of niggling our best players. The way we let Sloane get smashed with no protection last game was a disgrace, and set the tone for the terrible form that followed.

We now have two weeks to avenge some of our greatest slights this year, the defeats to Melbourne and Geelong. If we're at all serious about being 'the man' (in a champion sense) then we must show something here. We must show that we're a team that doesnt forgive or forget, that we're a team that will not be bullied. We must be into Bernie from before the first bounce, and we must not let up at all. We need some of the harder nuts of our team to show that they'll put the club and it's pride and reputation above personal friendship. I get it, he's an old friend he's an old comrade, he's pretty much a brother to some of them.

No truly great team has been willing to be bullied on the field. We won't be the first. If we want to contend, we must beat up our brother- it's the only way we can send a message to the other teams that think we're easy prey.

*To be clear, I'm not condoning that crosses the line, such as anything that would be an assault for instance.
Spot on.

Agree with most of this.
Most premiership teams have a bit of strut and 'don't f*** with me' about them.
I'm yet to see that from our side.
Tex definitely has it in him, and Eddie is great at firing the crowd up and lifting those around him, but I'm not sure we bat any deeper than that.
I'd call out the Crouch brothers, Thor, Jenkins, Tex and Knight as the ones who need to be the enforcers and put some serious doubt and hesitation in the minds of the opposition before they put their head over the ball.

Edit: CC also needs to pick up his bone-crunching tackle game, and start hunting some prey. We know he has it in him. Those are the sorts of acts that can lift the team, , but we definitely need some old fashioned 'enforcing''

giphy.gif

I don't recall anyone ever getting charged with assault on an AFL field.

I think that gives us some leeway.

Look, i love the guy. Just as much as I'd love us to have an absolute crack at him.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Look, i love the guy. Just as much as I'd love us to have an absolute crack at him.
There was that diversity dude...

Need to make Bernie earn it this week

Lethal was I think.

I think the love is the important part of this. That's what demonstrates the ruthlessness. If we'll dead set fight Bernie who we love for wronging us, imagine what we'd do to someone we don't?

I want a similar treatment of Dangerfield the next week, but that's a whole nother story.

Lethal was I think.

I think the love is the important part of this. That's what demonstrates the ruthlessness. If we'll dead set fight Bernie who we love for wronging us, imagine what we'd do to someone we don't?

I want a similar treatment of Dangerfield the next week, but that's a whole nother story.
Yep - he broke Neville Brun's jaw, behind play. To this day still the only player in VFL/AFL to be charged. The conviction was later overturned on appeal.

Last edited:
I Think the Crouch brothers and Greenwood are the keys if we are to win the flag tbh.
If we dominate clearances & get clean passes to our outside players we will slaughter anyone.

The only problem is Crouch bros and Greenwood need to get better at roving an opposition ruckmans taps because Sauce Jacobs is woeful in that area.
If we lose clearances then we need to set up our defence accordingly and attack that way instead... which we've done on numerous occasions this year.

Still think Brad is our key here...he's slowlyyy building up now.

Sorry OP but you're so dreaming. They will all go out drinking with Bernie after the game.

Yeah I find it pathetic when spaghetti arms Bernie vince picks on our players.
we're weak, our leaders are weak.

If Bernie tried that against Hawthorn with Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis... ohhh lol, he probably wouldn't try that because he'd have bruises everywhere, he'd get *en smashed by them.. and every other Hawthorn player that walks past him.
But not us, Jacobs would walk past and tap Bernie on the bum and tell him to calm down.

Line in the sand boys. If Sloane gets bashed around tomorrow by Vince. you *en nail Vince.. everyone nail him, you send a message to the opposition coaches of the league. If you tag Sloane.. you will get *en hammered by our whole team come half time.. you'll need an ice bath from all the corkies you have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dreaming :rolleyes:... they're afraid to even get anywhere near Bernie or Patrick let alone actually touch them, they carry some kind of residual aura that the playing group bows down too.

Agree. It's not like he is concerned about his mates. He needs to be pummelled at every opportunity so that half time he is completely spent and hurting. Take him out of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dreaming :rolleyes:... they're afraid to even get anywhere near Bernie or Patrick let alone actually touch them, they carry some kind of residual aura that the playing group bows down too.

Roo or Jarman wouldn't have let friendships get in the way, cross that white line and your only mates are the ones wearing the same kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its interesting the coach came from a club that had enforcers. They won 2 flags in his time there.

On the Crouch Bros , the Hartigan North Melbourne game both of them tried to fly the flag. Then speculating that the coach got into their ears because we havent seen anymore of it

For so long I've wanted us to be tough but fair.

Not like triple premiership Lions or like the Hawks.

Sydney (except Barry Hall) would be my example of a team that has managed this balance for a long time.

ALL of them.

I support totally your call to give Vince a hard time :thumbsu:, and many posters commented on a noticeable increase in physicality from Tex and JJ last week, bolstered by McGovern's return.
I'm hoping ALL of them, every Crow, will show relentless unsociable aggro/mongrel to all of THEM, everyone unfortunate enough to be wearing red-and-blue tonight, but as you say with Vince as the main target, at every opportunity.
I'd like to see our blokes knock the wind out of that cocky DIVER, Clayton Oliver, as their main second target. He can play with his Academy Award (EDIT: make that a Logie) later in an ice-bath.

I want Melbourne to walk off the ground, every one of them, thinking:
"Jeez, if we make the finals I hope we don't have to play this mob again".

Last edited:
Tex was an absolute arsehole last week against the Bulldogs. I loved it.

Needs to come out with that approach more often if we're going to be any chance in the big games.

Would love us to do this.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back