Analysis The List Profile

Remove this Banner Ad

WhiskySaint

All Australian
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I know there will be a thread for this, but with the kids hanging off me I haven’t found it. Hopefully George can merge them, sorry mate.

Our list is bloody young and while I feel like we have plenty of B and C graders, once they hit their peak in 2-3 years we should have a heap of B-B+ players with a few A grade.

Question will be who becomes elite if any.....

To show my point, below is our best 22 of under 23 year olds. It should look familiar....

DMac Joyce Wilkie
White Battle Coffield
Billings Steele Acres
Paton Mayo Long
Parker King Lonie

Marshal Gresh Clark

Bytel Philips Marsh Langlands

Emergency: Austin, Rice, Clav

Retiring: McCartin

On a side note: these kids all play together and show a bit, but struggle to keep up and execute. I recon this is because they have very little senior leadership around them. Could you imagine being a kid getting selected for the Cats where the opposition has to worry about Selwood, Dangerfield, Kelly and Ablet.

Instead, our kids have Ross and Newnes looking after them....

We lack hardness.
Although I think we showed a bit of jam tart in three games this year.
Maybe a couple of decent on field leaders could drive that a bit better.

I think one thing we can't defy is age and experience. Stuv and Armo and possibly Brown will plummet our age and experience down. Should be down with GC if Bruce and Dunstan types go as well.

Every year i notice the correlation between contested possessions and the ladder. Though some highly skilled anomolies exist.

And the players who are best at it , are not necessarily those most appreciated on this forum.

By total for the season.
Marshall
Dunstan
Steele
Gresham
Ross
Sinclair
Bruce
Billings
Membrey
Acres
Newnes
Wilkie
Savage
Clarke
Parker
Long
McKenzie
Battle
Lonie
Kent
Paton
Steven
Brown
Hannebery
Hind
Carlisle
Webster
Coffield
Geary

By average per game we get. ( leaving out the irrelevant like Longer and Armo ).
Dunstan
Marshall
--Greenwood
Hannebery
Gresham
Steele
Steven
----Constable
Ross
Sinclair
Billings
Bruce
--Rhyder
--Jones
Clark
Acres
Phillips
Newnes
Geary
Joyce
Membrey
--Hill
Webster
White
Marsh
Lonie
Kent
Paton
Wilkie
McKenzie
Savage
Coffield
Long
Parker
Carlilse
Hind
Battle
Langlands
Brown
Young

From that it would appear that Greenwood would be a better pick up for the club than Hill?

Hill is there to improve our technique. ( See Richmond and the Eagles in the contested ball count ).
As an outside player, he gets more than Hind, and Savage, and not much different to Newnes. He won't be there to improve that aspect of the team.
I'd love Greenwood for cheap ( as in trade price ) though.

until you look at metres gained...

I'm not sure but Greenwood seems to have been played forward a lot, ( either that or he's good at finding the goals as a mid ) .
He's NOT a meters gained player like Hill more like another Dunstan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure but Greenwood seems to have been played forward a lot, ( either that or he's good at finding the goals as a mid ) .
He's NOT a meters gained player like Hill more like another Dunstan.
A faster Dunstan - which is my point actually

Greenwood's good CP stats are derived from his role as a tagger - one way to prevent your opponent from gaining a clearance is to take the ball yourself - and when you're close in like that you are likely to be tackled straight away - meaning a low risk for holding the ball but you gain another CP stat and more importantly a new bounce where your own team might get the clearance.

From the AFL website:

List changes: Hard nut David Armitage, who excelled inside the contest before injuries curtailed his career, heads a list of four players who have been delisted so far. The others are big men Billy Longer, Lewis Pierce and Sam Rowe. Four-time best and fairest Jack Steven is headed for Geelong and key forward Josh Bruce looks destined for the Western Bulldogs.

Best 22 in 2019 if everyone was available
B: Jarryn Geary, Jake Carlisle, Callum Wilkie
HB: Dylan Roberton, Josh Battle, Hunter Clark
C: Jack Billings, Seb Ross, Dan Hannebery
HF: Jade Gresham, Josh Bruce, Jack Sinclair
F: Nick Hind, Tim Membrey, Jack Lonie
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jack Steven
I/C: Luke Dunstan, Jimmy Webster, Shane Savage, Blake Acres

DEPTH
Defenders: Nathan Brown, Nick Coffield, Ben Paton, Daniel McKenzie, Jonathon Marsh, Brandon White, Darragh Joyce, Oscar Clavarino, Logan Austin, Bailey Rice.

Summary: St Kilda hasn't decided whether it will keep Brown on. He's still playing solid footy but at 30, could see his career ended. The Saints have long had too many half-backs, and Dylan Roberton's expected return from heart issues only adds to that stockpile.

Midfielders: Jack Newnes, Ed Phillips, Doulton Langlands, Jack Bytel

Summary: Genuine star quality and players who can deliver the football well are needed. If Hannebery can stay fit, he would add to the A-grade talent. Billings showed he's a jet and if Gresham can improve his tank, he will probably spend more time in the middle. Newnes is a restricted free agent and may leave.

Ruckmen: Sam Alabakis

Summary: With Pierce, Longer and Rowe delisted, the Saints are light on in this department. Marshall is a star already and will improve further but Alabakis is a Category B rookie and is a long way off senior football. Adding Paddy Ryder from Port Adelaide will help, and the Saints might look to recruit another big man, just in case injury strikes.

Forwards: Max King, Matthew Parker, Dean Kent, Ben Long, Paddy McCartin, Robbie Young, Jack Mayo.

Summary: Right knee and ankle injuries dogged King in his debut campaign, but there's a fair chance he would have cemented himself in this line-up had he been fit. The same might have been said of Paddy McCartin, but ongoing concussion problems means he hasn't had a chance to show his value. He's no certainty to take to the field again.

WHAT DO THEY NEED? WHO ARE THEY LINKED TO?

The main need is class – foot skills have been an issue for a while. St Kilda lacks pace and aggression as well. The Saints are making moves to fix those issues. Ryder and Fremantle running machine Bradley Hill have said they want to land at Moorabbin, while Sydney speedster Zak Jones is expected to join them. They're also among the clubs having a look at Adelaide onballer Brad Crouch. - Dinny Navaratnam

Remove this Banner Ad

Back