The Live Strategy and Content Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't slept for about 30 hours having played live and online in recent days, but looking over that HH, let me get this straight, you have the str8t on a paired board? And against someone who has shown a strong tendency to check very nuttish hands on the river? What was your read of him at the time in that hand apart from the general impression that he wasn't a good player? In other words was there anything that impressed you during that hand about him that told you he had changed his MO for some reason.

As you describe it my play on the river would be to overbet raise the river, yes you don't have the nuts here but from how you describe him he doesn't either and your hand has a lot of hands that he thinks are the goods smashed - lesser str8ts, even 3 pair (lol) type of hands he thinks are awesome, or a pair up with TK etc. For the good players in a tourney there is a scramble over the chips of the lesser players and I don't think you can really pass this spot up to get a leg up on the segment of the field that will be around at the latter stages of the tourney. I think he calls with the hands that you have dominated to an overbet. If he 3 bets you you are in a disgusting spot, and I don't even want to think about what I would do there given I wasn't there in the situation you describe. But yeah as you describe I would overbet raise the river, and expect to just get flat called with just about all of his flop continuation range, including the stone cold nuts.

Having said all that I have played so many hands vs these types of players online given I play micro/low cash (having said that, this exact level of incompetence is rare online), and there is nothing that would surprise me, short of said player snap calling, turning over two jokers and then physically morphing into the giant puppett thing from the 70's TV show HR Puff'nstuff, then giving you a dead eye stare across the felt as it drags in your chips to its stack, cackling to you in Heath Ledger's voice: "Why so serious?"

Apologise, I"ve misread the HH, too used to reading the HEM HH, you have the stone cold nuts yourself on the river? No paired board? I'll leave the previous post just for comedic value. I'm not really sure what the issue with is with the hand, given the flsh draw whiffed? Something to do with value?

Apologies again, thought the issue was because of a paired board - lack of sleep to blame for my misinterpretation.

Flush draw missed my hand is the nuts

The question is the sizing on the river...

Either 1) We go really small hoping to get action from hands that arent straights, and hopefully 3bet by naked 8s
2) We go reasonably big in the same way
3) Shippy McShipperson for 5x pot

Posting a hand history here and somewhere else, just to get a look at two separate responses.

Hand is first level 50/100 at the Sydney Summer Series Main event so everyone is roughly 300bb deep (30k)

In this hand I have position on some rand fish (RF) who has done a bit of limping, a bit of raising, and doing lots of silly things so far like checking back super strong hands on the river and one weird hand where he open CO, I called button with AThh, board ran out QQ4-9-4 and he checked to me 3 times with 46 lol, with me checking every street, in summary he is one of the worst players you will see in a 5k

-------------
Folds to RF in the CO who raises to 275. I reraise to 675 with 89ss. Folds to him he calls

FLOP: Q74 with a flush draw
He checks, I bet 725 he calls

TURN: 5r
Check check

RIVER: 6r
He bets 2k... Ash?

Without further showdown info other than the two hands you mentioned it feels like he is the standard crap checks when strong/bets when weak fish. That is what I would peg him as until he proved me otherwise.

I think you have to raise smaller in this spot and give him a chance to try and take it from you. The value available from that possibility/likelihood is worth more than the extra k or two missed value you could have got raising larger on the river when he 1: calls with a Q/set etc or 2: folds his crap.

edit: and of course if he is super strong it makes no difference, he will give you plenty anyway.

Fish will never bluff raise that river in the early stages of a live tournament with a decent buy in.

He bets 2, you raise to 4.5.... he bluff raise to what playing 30k total start of hand?

Interesting responses.

I asked a few of my IRL poker friends, and they called me an idiot for not shoving, basing that logic on the fact that a fish will not fold an 8, and its almost an 8 and an 8 only that will continue vs a raise on this board.

I thought a shove was too big, but then realised that unless I went really small, that only an 8 can continue. Therefore our options were really only two

- Minraise or close to it: That way we can get called by hands that are worse then 8 high straights, and hopefully he might 3bet an 8 vs such a small raise, which we can then jam on.

- Ship it, or very close to it: Pretty much herp derp he has 8 he wont fold....

In the end I made it 12.5k total (which is nearly a double pot raise once I "see" his 2k and raise 10.5k more) which he called pretty quick, and I felt pretty bad I left 15k more on the table

Remove this Banner Ad

Back