Coach The Lobbe Lounge - Ruck Coach and Head of Development

Remove this Banner Ad

Drafted 2007, so he's 32/33. He will be playing for the Magpies if we pick up a ruck injury as no certainty we will add a 3rd ruck to the list tonight or tomorrow in the drafts. Welcome back Lobster. Butcher was drafted in 2009 and is back at the club. 2006 draftees Boak and Gray just keep on keeping on.

Last edited:

General Manager – Football, Chris Davies said Lobbe would bring a fresh perspective but with a familiar voice to the coaching unit, taking on the title of ruck coach.

“Matthew understands the environment and expectations we have at Port Adelaide and will work well with our ruck group,” Davies said.

“He has been working with the midfield group at Werribee for the last couple of years, on top of his day job at AFL Players Association, which has given him valuable experience on and off the field.

“We look forward to welcoming him back in the coming weeks.”

At last a ruck coach again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 4 of the first post are negative.
Is it possible to give someone a chance..

Agree, There was nothing wrong with Lobbe's ruckwork as it was his field play that let him down. Matthew Lobbe averaged 27.9 hitouts per game compared to Scott Lycett's 20.5.

my only fear is that he was brought back cos he wont oppose too much of what ken preaches
He was a Ken favourite in the 2013-15 years. If it wasn't Ken, it was one of the other coaches, who said the big Lobster was the player that understood the game plan and tactics the most, better than any other player.

The Ian Baker-Finch on Ruckman, he had one good year in 2014 and then proceeded to lose all confidence there onwards.
In saying that I wish him nothing but success and hope he is a good coach.

You'd have to say that lycett is a more experienced and better ruckman than lobbe. Would be weird being coached by a bloke you outruck. It's not as if it's a heavily tactical thing either it's mostly technique.

Lobbe was great at laying follow up tackles though. I'm not sure what people are remembering talking about him being a good tap ruckman. I still have nightmares thinking about him laying it smoothly down to an opposition mid who bursts free of the centre. Seemed to have mastered the art of tapping directly to opposition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back