Coach The Lobbe Lounge - Ruck Coach and Head of Development

You'd have to say that lycett is a more experienced and better ruckman than lobbe. Would be weird being coached by a bloke you outruck. It's not as if it's a heavily tactical thing either it's mostly technique.

Lobbe was great at laying follow up tackles though. I'm not sure what people are remembering talking about him being a good tap ruckman. I still have nightmares thinking about him laying it smoothly down to an opposition mid who bursts free of the centre. Seemed to have mastered the art of tapping directly to opposition
Terry Jenner was a pretty ordinary test leg spin bowler, pretty good at shield level, but was able to coach Warnie, the best leg spinner bowler in the history of the game how to be many times better than him. How good you coach, doesn't always depend how good you played.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Terry Jenner was a pretty ordinary test leg spin bowler, pretty good at shield level, but was able to coach Warnie, the best leg spinner bowler in the history of the game how to be many times better than him. How good you coach, doesn't always depend how good you played.

True and I agree for the most part. Just seems like ruck is such a specific skill that I find it hard to see what lobbe could offer someone like scooter. But by all accounts lobbe is a great bloke so will be good to have him back. He could be very good at analysing opposition rucks for instance I suppose

PrisonBars4life

Club Legend
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Ian Baker-Finch on Ruckman, he had one good year in 2014 and then proceeded to lose all confidence there onwards.
In saying that I wish him nothing but success and hope he is a good coach.

The game outgrew him. When he was drafted, you played 2 ruck combos and only had to ruck. By the end, if you couldn't get around the ground you were done for. No different to the Gibbs/ polec types who have to defend. He was a co vc at one point so his leadership was clearly rated internally.

Astronema

im gay (they/them)
Sep 17, 2020
Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The reason for this appointment may confuse you but as janus would tell you, as Lobbe doesn’t have a soul the club doesn’t actually have to pay him. /s

But seriously I’m really happy about this, I loved a lot of what Lobbe brought to the side when he was up and about and I’m confident he can be a good coach. Awesome news!!!

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was pretty much an AA quality ruckman in 2014. Every other year he was slightly better than Cameron Cloke

No idea what his coaching credentials are other than a bit of coaching at a VFL club

Feels like a cheap as chip appointment but at least we are addressing the lack of having a ruck coach

Good luck Lobbes

May 31, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Good appointment. Matthew was a good port club man. The now 3 rucks can only benefit and feedback for hayes in particular, of the nuances of ruck work, hoping will increase his development.

Maybe part of the appeal of having someone like Lobbe as ruck coach is that they can actually participate in the drills. Hes still only 32.

Damien Monkhorst is 52 and he still participates lol

Back