The Longest Droughts at the End of Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

North park

Team Captain
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
And they did!

The Bulldogs are premiers for the first time since 1954 in one of the best Grand Finals of all time.

Congratulations Bulldogs, and hopefully the side now with the longest drought, Melbourne's 52 years dating back to 1964, will break soon.

It is quite remarkable that the longest premiership drought (62 years for the Bulldogs) and the longest wooden spoon drought (83 years for Essendon) were both ended in the same year.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
From what I have read Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin will be awarded the Medal retrospectively. The AFL have not definitively said this but I believe this will happen.
And now confirmed
I think it should be not awarded in that case. There were 22 games that season where votes were not given to players due to guilty players taking them.
For what its worth I agree. But I can see the reason behind it

They have used the Olympic Ideal where someone has to win . Though I was amused to hear a reference to the Tour de France blanking because they couldn't be sure that later biologicals will show drug use of the 2nd , 3rd 4th etc :p

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
Adelaide have never been in any danger of collecting a wooden spoon in any season, however Port Adelaide came very close to the 2011 wooden spoon, where only a win over Melbourne in the final round lifted the Power from the bottom of the ladder and put new team the Gold Coast Suns into last position.

Interestingly, in the SANFL Port Adelaide Magpies have not finished last since 1900, when the Australian states were still colonies and Victoria was the Queen of England. While Carlton went 105 years (1897-2001) without finishing last before collecting the 2002 wooden spoon (the Blues' first), and WAFL club East Fremantle also 105 years (1899-2003), with the 2004 wooden spoon the Sharks' first bottom place finish since 1898, the Magpies 116 year wooden spoon drought must be one of the longest droughts in any of the major competitions.

Carlton's first woodenspoon was in 1894 in the VFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back