Oppo Camp The Loony Bin - Lead Sponsor of Crazy Topkent's Alternate Adventures

That’s really hard to come back from. Unless of course Brad can manufacture some exciting news really really fast and pretend that was the exciting news? I don’t know what though. He either has to quickly talk Wingard into nominating the North Melbourne Football Club as a preferred destination, or get a sex change in time for preseason - except that might be regarded as weird rather than exciting.
Jasper Pittard is pretty exciting I guess... :drunk:

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
THE CHANGES
Traditional playing positions at centre bounces

• Clubs must have six players inside both 50m arcs, with one player inside the goalsquare.
  • Four midfield players must start inside the centre square with the two wingmen stationed along the wing.
Kick-ins

• At kick-ins, a player will no longer need to kick to himself to play on from the goalsquare.
  • Following a behind, the man on the mark will be brought out to 10m from the top of the goalsquare, rather than the existing five metres.
Marks and free kicks in defence

• When defenders mark or receive a free kick within nine metres of their own goal, the man on the mark will be brought in line with the top of the goalsquare.
Runners and water carriers

• Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
  • Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.
Umpire contact

• Players will be prohibited from setting up behind the umpire at centre bounces.
50m penalties

• The player with the ball:
  • Must be allowed to advance the mark by 50m without the infringing player delaying the game.
  • Will be able to play on while the 50m penalty is being measured out.
Kicking for goal after the siren

• A player who has been awarded a mark or free kick once play has ended:
  • Will now be able to kick across their body using a snap or check-side kick
  • BUT must kick the ball directly in line with the man on the mark and the goal.
Marking contests

• The 'hands in the back’ rule interpretation has been repealed so a player can now:
  • Place his hands on the back of his opponent to protect his position in a marking contest
  • PROVIDED he does not push his opponent in the back.
Ruck contests: prior opportunity

• A ruckman who takes direct possession of the ball from a bounce, throw-up or boundary throw-in will no longer be regarded as having had prior opportunity.
  • Where there is uncertainty over who is the designated ruckman, the ruckman for each team will still be required to nominate to the field umpire.
* these administrators have no idea.

A couple are OK. Making set shots easier is ridiculous, as is making HTB more generous. 'Lets let people get away with incorrect disposal more, that'll fix congestion!'

Agree re set shots. What are you referring to re getting away with incorrect disposal?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree re set shots. What are you referring to re getting away with incorrect disposal?

If you're not going to penalize rucks for taking the ball out and not getting a correct disposal away then it'll be ridiculous how much someone like Gawn can kill time late in the game by doing that over and over for a ball up.

If you're not going to penalize rucks for taking the ball out and not getting a correct disposal away then it'll be ridiculous how much someone like Gawn can kill time late in the game by doing that over and over for a ball up.

Yeah true.

I think they would still have to attempt a disposal. If they made no attempt it would be holding the ball regardless of prior opportunity.

The change limit a teams ability to use midfielders as a ruckman and then not even contest the ruck which bogs down the stoppages until their ruckman gets back on the ground. Richmond do this with Grigg and its s**t to watch.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah true.

I think they would still have to attempt a disposal. If they made no attempt it would be holding the ball regardless of prior opportunity.

The change limit a teams ability to use midfielders as a ruckman and then not even contest the ruck which bogs down the stoppages until their ruckman gets back on the ground. Richmond do this with Grigg and its s**t to watch.

Stoppages will continue to be bogged down until they get serious about HTB. Start actually penalizing players for incorrect disposal, I don't care if they don't have prior. Sick of guys who want to win the ball get punished when three guys sit on them but you can take possession and fail a handball but 'no prior' comes into play.

Why are they focusing on minor things like kick ins? Last time i checked no player had an issue kicking the ball to themselves? So a kick in isn't a kick in anymore?

Why are they focusing on minor things like kick ins? Last time i checked no player had an issue kicking the ball to themselves? So a kick in isn't a kick in anymore?
So that makes the toe behind the line rule redundant? i.e. no ball ups in goal square from incorrect kick in. I like this rule. Combined with the man on the mark being 5m further back should make for faster restarts of play and rebounds. Get to see a few Frost run and torp combos

So that makes the toe behind the line rule redundant? i.e. no ball ups in goal square from incorrect kick in. I like this rule. Combined with the man on the mark being 5m further back should make for faster restarts of play and rebounds. Get to see a few Frost run and torp combos

Hibberd will slay this new ruleas well.

Not necessarily in all occasions, a player still cannot bring the ball back into play before the goal umpire signals. So there is still a hold up on that.

I suppose Hunt could maybe hand ball now though.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Stoppages will continue to be bogged down until they get serious about HTB. Start actually penalizing players for incorrect disposal, I don't care if they don't have prior. Sick of guys who want to win the ball get punished when three guys sit on them but you can take possession and fail a handball but 'no prior' comes into play.
This.

Actually paying holding the ball will reduce congestion as effectively as any number of the rules proposed.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
**** these administrators have no idea.

Actually some of these aren't bad at all, some are actually repealing silly ones like hands in the back and holding the ball from the ruck (as discussed above normal HTB rule would just apply now). I would have thought a player could always have kicked across his body after the siren, its always been about being called play on from moving off the line, so not sure why this rule needs to be written down but anyway. Some of these are ok, some potentially unnecessary, but surprisingly none that are just straight out ridiculous

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Actually some of these aren't bad at all, some are actually repealing silly ones like hands in the back and holding the ball from the ruck (as discussed above normal HTB rule would just apply now). I would have thought a player could always have kicked across his body after the siren, its always been about being called play on from moving off the line, so not sure why this rule needs to be written down but anyway. Some of these are ok, some potentially unnecessary, but surprisingly none that are just straight out ridiculous

Also the fact sliding rule and the protected area are still in the game, along with still being soft on HTB.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also the fact sliding rule and the protected area are still in the game, along with still being soft on HTB.

The sliding rule should have been adjusted for sure, protected area should have been clarified to a very specific distance rather than just this seemingly random force field. I'm not entirely against a soft approach on holding the ball because I wouldn't want the player second to the ball to ever have a greater advantage over the player who was first. But deliberately dropping the ball to your teams advantage is something to be looked at I would think.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
"GC lose pick 2 + 3
GC get Burton + hawks 2/3 round pick

Hawks get Wingard
Hawks lose Burton + 2/3 round

Port lose Wingard
Port get pick 2+3 from GC

Port hire me pls"

Surely this is just a piss take.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
"GC lose pick 2 + 3
GC get Burton + hawks 2/3 round pick

Hawks get Wingard
Hawks lose Burton + 2/3 round

Port lose Wingard
Port get pick 2+3 from GC

Port hire me pls"

Surely this is just a piss take.
Soon after...

Ryan Burton is a gun, so that is a good start. However it needs one more first rounder in there. If we get two firsts and Burton, then good riddance Chad you toxic piece of s**t.

This one was serious

EDIT: Its then followed by an in depth assassination of Wingard's charachter and how he's a lazy turd who is bringing the group down. This is epic levels of melt and delusion!

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

It's not difficult keeping your toe behind the line. I don't have a problem with guys getting punished for failing to do something ridiculously simple.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
It's not difficult keeping your toe behind the line. I don't have a problem with guys getting punished for failing to do something ridiculously simple.
Cricket player :D

I’ve always wanted to know - and you’re possibly a good bet to ask - what is the deal with so many bowlers getting so many no-balls? I always wonder why they don’t devise what is obviously a very set routine to run up from just very slightly further back to avoid the breach of over the line? Or is there such a substantial advantage to being on the edge that they risk the no ball because it’s worth it?

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cricket player :D

I’ve always wanted to know - and you’re possibly a good bet to ask - what is the deal with so many bowlers getting so many no-balls? I always wonder why they don’t devise what is obviously a very set routine to run up from just very slightly further back to avoid the breach of over the line? Or is there such a substantial advantage to being on the edge that they risk the no ball because it’s worth it?

Need a good routine for the quicks. It's more about getting the run-up right - bowlers aren't really concentrating on the line, they just know they're there and there abouts to land in the right place. Watch some videos of Bing Lee from side-on - some of these guys do have a good stride on when they release the ball. Given cricket is a game where one tiny mistake will see you in the sheds for the rest of the afternoon, an extra 5 or 10 cm might be the difference between a nick and the face of the bat, or a guy jamming down on a yorker instead of having his pegs' splayed. I tend to look at it the other way though and think you're better off giving yourself leeway and not dismissing someone with a no-ball. Don't think I've bowled a front-foot no-ball in 30 odd years of cricket.

Any spinner bowling front-foot no-balls however should be euthanized on the spot.

Given that you can't turn a game on its head with a kick-in, I don't see why it's worth even getting close to the line. I'd imagine most of the time it's just poor decision making that leads someone to step over the line, so why change the rule?

Back