Oppo Camp The Loony Bin - Lead Sponsor of Crazy Topkent's Alternate Adventures

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
West Coast fans believe Naitanui completely outplayed Grundy last week. Apparently anything Grundy does while NicNat is on the bench doesn’t count.
I mean, that's usually fair enough to only compare them with the time spent head to head, as generally speaking the game time spent against a second stringer would boil down to a minute or two over the course of a game, so completely inconsequential, but when Grundy spends 36% more game time on the ground ... that's almost a Qrt and a half leaving the games second best ruckman to run riot against Tom ******* Hickey.

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I mean, that's usually fair enough to only compare them with the time spent head to head, as generally speaking the game time spent against a second stringer would boil down to a minute or two over the course of a game, so completely inconsequential, but when Grundy spends 36% more game time on the ground ... that's almost a Qrt and a half leaving the games second best ruckman to run riot against Tom ******* Hickey.
Yep. Grundys strength is he can play 90+% of the game. You can’t take that away from him just because the opponent can’t.

Sonny Bonds

Cancelled
Jul 21, 2019
Lytton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sooking it up after random article.

"No Way in Hell is Gawn the Best Player in the Comp"

"He is but Grundy is Better. IF Gawn is the best Player in the AFL then Melbourne don't have much else"

"Both play the Same Position. Gawns team is 2nd Last and Grundy in a Top 6 Team. Without Gawn the Dees be Winless?"

Pies board. Usually a good poster on Bigfooty. Needs to watch more of Max before making a comment. Gawn's intercept marking and marking in general has been sublime this year, especially after the bye.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sooking it up after random article.

"No Way in Hell is Gawn the Best Player in the Comp"

"He is but Grundy is Better. IF Gawn is the best Player in the AFL then Melbourne don't have much else"

"Both play the Same Position. Gawns team is 2nd Last and Grundy in a Top 6 Team. Without Gawn the Dees be Winless?"

Pies board. Usually a good poster on Bigfooty. Needs to watch more of Max before making a comment. Gawn's intercept marking and marking in general has been sublime this year, especially after the bye.

They sure as hell wouldn't be any lower on the ladder if they had Gawn instead of Grundy.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
There’s some real insightful stuff on the What’s happened to Melbourne in 2019 thread on the MB.

“They drank their own bathwater.”

“Odd year.”

“I always knew Melbourne were no good”

“When you think about it last year was the anomaly”

“Never should have traded Hogan”

“They’re soft. Same old Melbourne.”

“vandenBerg has been poor this year”

“They’re mid table on the games experience lost to injury ladder so injuries aren’t an excuse”

I know some of the comments above have probably been uttered viscerally by scarred Melbourne supporters after yet another terrible performance but the context of other fans saying it is that they genuinely think that they’re being insightful.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
There’s some real insightful stuff on the What’s happened to Melbourne in 2019 thread on the MB.

“They drank their own bathwater.”

“Odd year.”

“I always knew Melbourne were no good”

“When you think about it last year was the anomaly”

“Never should have traded Hogan”

“They’re soft. Same old Melbourne.”

“vandenBerg has been poor this year”

“They’re mid table on the games experience lost to injury ladder so injuries aren’t an excuse”

I know some of the comments above have probably been uttered viscerally by scarred Melbourne supporters after yet another terrible performance but the context of other fans saying it is that they genuinely think that they’re being insightful.

To be fair, I don't recall VDB having an impact in a single game in 2019, disappointing..

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Nick Riewoldt has delivered a scathing critique of Melbourne’s big money recruits Steven May and Jake Lever, declaring neither is the club’s best defender.
Lever reportedly signed a five-year deal worth around $800,000 per season at the end of 2017, while May also inked a five-year contract in the same ballpark last year.

The highly prized duo take up almost 10 per cent of the club’s salary cap, but Riewoldt believes the less fancied — and certainly less renumerated — Sam Frost has Lever and May covered.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
well Frost can at least get out on the park regularly I suppose. May and Lever in and out for only the 2nd half of the year. i think May showed he's the better player in a couple of games this year. Lever still looks off the pace coming back from that knee. but if Frost has a better year than those 2 next year then we are more than likely near the bottom of the ladder again.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
They don't watch football. I'd be surprised if even a quarter of them watched half the games yet they give such definitive opinions
Nah, no way would they, most would only watch the games they're at to commentate, and maybe the odd other one here and there. Most of their opinions are based off highlights, stats, and bollocks other people have said in the media.

Fancy s**t talking some players because of injury. May obviously played his part in that, but Lever? They're having a crack at a bloke who is coming back from an ACL for crying out loud, no player comes back from an ACL in the same form they did it.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was hoping someone posted that article here. Legit terry Wallace is the only analyst I know of who makes an effort to watch every game each round, rest of the media just parrot popular opinion (Or if you’re Kane cornes intentionally play devils advocate).
Was it Sam Newman who admitted a few years back that most commentators don't watch any games bar the ones they commentate, then get notes from the other games from an assistant or something similar??

If so, this is a classic example.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
May is better than Frost at everything except run a carry maybe.
He marks better
Defends one on one better
Kicks better
Leads better
Tackles better

Lever is a better reader of the play
Better mark
Better kick

I like Frost alot but he's isn't better than either of those 2

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Was it Sam Newman who admitted a few years back that most commentators don't watch any games bar the ones they commentate, then get notes from the other games from an assistant or something similar??

Wouldn't surprise at all. My favourite is when one says something like ' they have so many of this player' then go to name them and name 2 of them and finish with 'and the like'

Nathan Brown on MMM said Geelongs youth were getting tired and named Miers and Rohan as his examples

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne

Dom Tyson , usually such a beautiful kick

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wouldn't surprise at all. My favourite is when one says something like ' they have so many of this player' then go to name them and name 2 of them and finish with 'and the like'

Nathan Brown on MMM said Geelongs youth were getting tired and named Miers and Rohan as his examples
Rohan is nearly 30?

In that case I am a young player too.

On the contrary, even though he loves the sound of his own voice, I agree with David King more often than not.

Pretty scathing today, and has been for good reason this year post about round 6.

A chance to put jkh in a run with role on Sidebottom to see if he can play it, or better still, learn how and where to run as a high forward/mid.

Nah f that, let Sidebottom jog around So leisurely thst he wouldn't have needed a shower post game.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Rohan is nearly 30?

In that case I am a young player too.

On the contrary, even though he loves the sound of his own voice, I agree with David King more often than not.

Pretty scathing today, and has been for good reason this year post about round 6.

A chance to put jkh in a run with role on Sidebottom to see if he can play it, or better still, learn how and where to run as a high forward/mid.

Nah f that, let Sidebottom jog around So leisurely thst he wouldn't have needed a shower post game.
Basically we had Jones on him on the wing but instead of playing on him he went to the back of the square and folded into defence while Salem or Hunt came off the back of the square

It was a monumental failure

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Basically we had Jones on him on the wing but instead of playing on him he went to the back of the square and folded into defence while Salem or Hunt came off the back of the square

It was a monumental failure
I watched Jones sneaking off the back, it was bound to end up in failure.

Ah well, lucky we used our genuine star ruckman as a tagger.

That'll learn ya, Bucks.

Back