Roast The Loose Zone

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm fairly certain you were aware of what my post was implying.

If not, I've just answered it.
I didn't, that's why I asked. In fact, I keep hearing it bandied about as though it's fact when it's nothing of the sort. The picks we have traded in the past have absolutely zero bearing on our ability to turn over the list in the next 3-4 years and replace current key players with new ones. That is evidenced by history.

I didn't, that's why I asked. In fact, I keep hearing it bandied about as though it's fact when it's nothing of the sort. The picks we have traded in the past have absolutely zero bearing on our ability to turn over the list in the next 3-4 years and replace current key players with new ones. That is evidenced by history.
History suggests Geelong's last really good list turnover that resulted in a premiership took 9 years to complete and that was with a bit of luck and vastly better picks that what we currently have at our disposal or have used recently.

History suggests Geelong's last really good list turnover that resulted in a premiership took 9 years to complete and that was with a bit of luck and vastly better picks that what we currently have at our disposal or have used recently.
That was building a list from a very different position (i.e. shithouse) and pre free agency.

That was building a list from a very different position (i.e. shithouse) and pre free agency.
Again, we're going to struggle to entice free agents that aren't originally from the Geelong area unless we pay them outside the Geelong pay structure ... good quality ones anyway.

Where we came from at the time is irrelevant, building a good quality list requires good picks or currency to get either the good picks, or two bring in good quality players. We have neither ...

Yeah, the AFL allocates clubs draft picks every year. Call it "magic" if that helps you.
And we keep throwing them away ... but yep, your thoughts that they'll magically reappear are interesting to say the least.

And we keep throwing them away ... but yep, your thoughts that they'll magically reappear are interesting to say the least.
They don't need to "reappear"; they will be there in October waiting for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They don't need to "reappear"; they will be there in October waiting for us.
:rolleyes:

So now Richmond are going to play good samaritan and give us our 1st round pick back in return for a boiled egg ... rigteo. :thumbsu:

:rolleyes:

So now Richmond are going to play good samaritan and give us our 1st round pick back in return for a boiled egg ... rigteo. :thumbsu:
Never said anything of the sort. The AFL gives each club picks in the ND each year.

"Magic".

:drunk:

Drunk is implying we're going to miraculously build a premiership list without any high picks. :$:thumbsu:

You can be facetious all you want kiddo.

Ok, back on topic, I'm not sure this system is built for the wider grounds and I've just done some research.

Since 2014 this is our record on some of the wider grounds in the league;

Metricon - 160 x 134

0-2

At MCG 160 x 141

11-10

SCG - 149 x 136

0-1

GABBA - 156 x 138

2-0

13 wins and 13 losses for a 50% strike-rate

Narrower grounds during the same period;

At KP - 170 x 115

19-4

Adelaide Oval - 167 x 123

3-1

Ethiad Stadium - 159 x 128

12-3-1

Domain Stadium - 175 x 122

2-2 (inc last 2)

36 wins, 10 losses and 1 draw for a 78% strike rate.

We clearly need to change the way we play on the MCG and It goes a long way to explaining our finals record in that time.

We seem to enjoy Ethiad, AO, Domain and Perth, which are narrowish, yet struggle at the SCG, the MCG and Metricon stadium, the wider grounds. Brisbane are a rabble so that GABBA record doesn't really mean much.

Our current game plan is exploited on the wider grounds.

If we call today ground zero and we remain on the same trajectory then it's my opinion that we are closer to our last grand final appearance than our next already,while Dangerfield,Henderson and to a lesser degree Touhy are good pick ups it's time to head back to the draft and look for the next generation of kids,hopefully with a bit of luck some will mature quickly enough to see an old Paddy pick up a flag.

have had a few spare minutes where I went over the first quarter especially focusing on how they transitioned the ball from our forward line to their front half. Took a screen shot of one example to show which was typical of many of the chains that came running out for scores up the other end, sort of typifies how it went.

We are very good at defending straight down the line in front of the hall. What Geelong essentially sets up for is ahead of play in a congested line trying to force th opposition to kick it long down the line where Taylor and co are set up to intercept, we are the best st intercepting when this happens and on the few occasions against Essendon we got them wide enough to force them into yhis, it worked very well.

But what Essendon did was they refused to kick it down the line on the wing, instead they looked to switch it central towards the forward fifty or around 30m from goal to players. We let this happen time and time again and it is simply VERY poor defensive work and allows all the middle and the other wing to be opened up for a quick transition.

IMG_6577.JPG

The image above is typical of how Geelong will look to set up for that forced long kick down the line as circled, we are very good at intercepting this. You can see the Essendon player has no interest in going down the line, he was looking inwards and out to the side.
IMG_6576.JPG
This is the resulting kick after that went to an Essendon player who I have drawn the arrows from, standing in the clear about 25-30m out from goal directly in front. This opened up the entire middle to be cut through and also out to the far wing. This happened time and time again and needs to be clamped down on. If we are going to allow a switch, we need to force opposition more deep back to our goal square so that they do not have the middle to quickly penetrate through.
You can see how our players are still over to the left wing with all the space up front unguarded to charge into. We let this happen all night and it was a disaster.

We need to clamp down much tighter on the switch occurring in our forward half.force them either back to the goal square and clamp down flowing them up, or force them to kick long down the line to our massive advantage with our elite intercepting talls of Henderson Taylor kolo tuoey waiting.

All along your argument about our poor performances has been based on the loss of so many A grade players but now that you've had a few spare minutes to actually look at the bigger picture you can see that our game plan is so predictable opposition teams dismantle it with ease, do you not see that it's ultimately a coach problem and when you have a nuffy like Scott running the gig what else would you expect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back