Autopsy The Luke Beveridges coaching idiocy throws away the game thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty simple I would've thought.

1. Can't win games having goalless quarters
2. Why was Cavarra dropped?
3. Where is Cordy?
4. How about sticking some tackles?

Now here is the usual...

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)

43 - English (10/1)
26 - Dunkley (3/1)
5 - Macrae (0/0)
5 - Bruce (0/0)
1 - Bontempelli (0/0)

WB: 80 (13/2)
GE: 80 (49/12)

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 49%
GE: 63%

Turnovers Punished By Goal
2 - Johannisen
1 - Hunter, Macrae, McLean

Shots At Goal
WB: 16 (56%)
GE: 20 (50%)

Targets Inside 50
9 - Bruce
6 - English
4 - Wallis, Naughton
2 - Bontempelli
1 - Hunter

Pressure Guage
WB: 196 (Above Average)
GE: 187 (Average)

After Q1 (WB/GE)
First Possession - 21/36
Inside 50s - 21/34
Shots - 7/18
Turnovers Punished By Goal - 5/0

Score Sources
View attachment 947745

Those on Gardner watch here are his matchups...

View attachment 947768

Targets inside 50 is insane. Stupid football.

Bevo did not appear to make any adjustments when they got on top. Should not lose a game when 6 goals Up. Cordy should have played over Gardner as Rohan was dangerous in second half as Cordy is a better player. Gardner I thouhht played his best game but you should play best 22. Would have preferred Lipinski over Hayes and the coaches should know that Dicko is cooked with nothing left. Anyone would have been better. Poor judgements by match committee again. Gordo and bains if you do not get a senior assistant to look after the game plan then you both should go. Tactically bevo is inept

Too much backwards handballing. We do it every time and totally predictable. Don’t know why we kept kicking to the pockets all night. Naughton should be the target like Geelong kept kicking to Hawkins.

Got dudded a lot by the umpiring, but we really should have been able to let them out the back so much.

Got a few days to let it sting. 14 matches will be played before we take on West Coast, so we get to see how the season will pan out before our eyes. We will have a lot more certainty about where we sit on the run home by then.
This was our chance, we blew it and boy am I pissed off. So many things went wrong and it would be easy to throw the towel in, but I promised myself this season that I would not give up as a supporter until it was mathematically impossible for us to make finals, so I am going to stick to that. These next 14 matches I'm not going to get invested in the scores in games involving other teams. What will be will be and we're just going to have to deal with the results regardless of which way they fall.

Cue the presser: ‘Yeah, we just didn‘t take our opportunities, they hurt us on the rebound, we’ll learn from that and get better.’

Cool. May as well send them home now. We will be 10th or 11th by the time we play the Eagles, they’ll roll us and that’ll be it.

Let's face it, we are 4 or 5 players short of being a top team. Bruce, Hayes, Gardner, Dickson are not up to AFL standard. Add the fact that we have no ruckman who can compete on even terms with just about any other ruckman (1st or 2nd ruck) in the comp and that defines why we can't win a game like tonights.

Can those of you blaming the umpires or our injuries pull your heads out of your asses. Thanks!

Yes it was lost at selection but it was also lost by a complete lack of leadership AGAIN. Bont playing for frees the entire 3rd quarter was disgraceful. Danger a masterclass. His skills are no where near Bonts but he does what leaders do.

Our club needs a complete management overhaul. Until we have some hardened, desperate and consistent players in the 26-30 age bracket we have no hope.

Down by 3 points with time running out and English kicks the ball long into the forward pocket to Bruce outnumbered...

If this is what the coach wants in this situation? fine.

If not, where are the leaders telling him to kick if 20m out directly in front?

And that was as worst as i've seen Macrae play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from Geelong being kissed on the dick against us as usual, bevvy has a lot to answer for

Drops Cavarra for Dickson who does absolutely nothing. Cavarra didn't deserve to be dropped..

Continues with the stupid dunkley in the ruck experiment which cost us dearly.. ..

Continues with a Gardner who clearly isn't up to it..

Bruce and JJ should hang their heads on absolute shame. Their misses were absolutely critical..

Tory Dickson and Ryan Gardner playing ahead of Lipinski and Cordy. Honestly.

Getting smashed in the clearances and we still refuse to put our actual ruckman in the ruck.

There were times the ball was on our forward 50 and English is standing there at the stoppage twiddling his thumbs while Dunkley, Bont or Macrae contest. All because it worked once well against Adelaide who have the worst midfield I've ever seen.

English makes Shache look like Glen Archer.

Bruce is just embarassing.

Bruce in the ruck worked last week and swung the game but he didn’t do it tonight for some reason. Massive head scratcher. Every ruck contest I’m just sitting here praying we can lay a tackle and win it back. How sad.

How does a club stay up for 13 years? Seriously, genuine contenders for basically an entire 13 year period? We struggle to challenge for 2-3 years at our peak. Sick to *ing death of it.

Also Bev and co, stick your selections of non-AFL standard players and positional "strategies" up your arse.

Yeah I thought that was the strangest play of the night, just kick it to the top of the goal square.

Look Im not the head cheerleader of the Ed Richards fan club, but hey at least he kicked central. Landed a couple of goals from that play.

Seriously we have one of the best contested marks in the league. And lets kick it to arguably the most out of form player in the comp in Bruce instead of him. Defies logic.

Two players down for most of the game and went toe-to-toe with the in form team in the comp, to only go down by a couple of goals. I'm not happy to lose, but no melting from me. Reminds me of the Hawks game where Murphy did his knee. The younger players will realise we can match it with the best. We just need a Swans at the SCG game (the 2015 edition) to bring it all together.
I kinda get where you're coming from, but stupid stuff cost us tonight. Dunkley in the ruck, Bruce, JJ missing very getable goals, throw in a few dumbarse handballs and it was game over. I think what I'm saying is that yeah, I agree that two down on the bench hurt us, but we had our chances despite that.

That’s the flattest I’ve been since losing the 09 prelim to St Kilda. I don’t blame the team tonight, I blame a few things. JJ, Bruce, selections of English and Dickson. Seriously Bevo, half time last week, he sees English is spent, so what does he do? Picks him tonight. Dickson did not kick the ball, Cavarra never should’ve been dropped. I’m at a loss with the people up top in this club at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back