The Luke Jackson trade.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
An athletic specimen with not an iota of forward craft, a decent but undersized ruck and a poor overhead mark with hands like cement. Has there ever been a worse list management decision in recent times? Freo lose Lobb, Acres and Logue who while no world beaters all solid citizens in a finals team with good future prospects. All for a bloke that played 5 minutes of good football in a grand final with two of the best midfielders of this generation probably making him look a bit better than he was.

The draft picks they gave up for him... Last year's pick 13 and this year's first and second which could end up being a top 7-8 and sub 30 pick this year if Freo continue to stink it up. On top of that has a contract rivalling Brodie Grundy despite being a quarter of the player Grundy once was.

I simply cannot remember a worse trade in recent times... Bowes you could argue that Gold Coast simply needed to do it and had a surplus of picks regardless of how ridiculous it seemed. Maybe Gibbs? That may have turned out, but Adelaide went and blew up their list by going on their looneyville camp which meant the Gibbs acquisition was basically useless and hamstrung their future because of it.

For a club that hasn't been able to snatch a premiership since their inception could this set them back another decade?

Discuss.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
An athletic specimen with not an iota of forward craft, a decent but undersized ruck and a poor overhead mark with hands like cement. Has there ever been a worse list management decision in recent times? Freo lose Lobb, Acres and Logue who while no world beaters all solid citizens in a finals team with good future prospects. All for a bloke that played 5 minutes of good football in a grand final with two of the best midfielders of this generation probably making him look a bit better than he was.

The draft picks they gave up for him... Last year's pick 13 and this year's first and second which could end up being a top 7-8 and sub 30 pick this year if Freo continue to stink it up. On top of that has a contract rivalling Brodie Grundy despite being a quarter of the player Grundy once was.

I simply cannot remember a worse trade in recent times... Bowes you could argue that Gold Coast simply needed to do it and had a surplus of picks regardless of how ridiculous it seemed. Maybe Gibbs? That may have turned out, but Adelaide went and blew up their list by going on their looneyville camp which meant the Gibbs acquisition was basically useless and hamstrung their future because of it.

For a club that hasn't been able to snatch a premiership since their inception could this set them back another decade?

Discuss.
i dunno, i'm pretty happy with it so far.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yeah I knew this thread was coming. I wasnt a fan of the trade.

Also.... This could end up worse than the Jesse Hogan trade

HalloweenJack

All Australian
Mar 19, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth Arsenal New York Yankees
Early days to make this call. Freo probably paid overs but it was Jackson going into the centre square that turned the 2021 Grand Final. He should be the number 1 ruck.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
I think future trading in general has inflated the value of player trades. Generally it feels like most big trades end up favouring the side losing the player. Wonder if that will start to swing back the other way.

The cats paid a motza for Cameron and wouldn’t be disappointed.
Damn near the perfect game on Thursday night too …

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Discuss.
Loonyville camp ..lol

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jackson, it can be argued to an extent, won us the flag. His decimation of English was the key reason we got first hands and kicked something like 15 unanswered goals. To have someone do that when Gawn wasn’t playing well, I’d huge.

Has to play ruck. To call it a trade that’ll set them back 10 years is an absolute overreach. The kid is about 21-22. I’d be more concerned about the way Fremantle are going about their style. They are a literal nothing club whom have not achieved much at all.

Lots has to change, Jackson not their pressing issue.

Really not sure why Freo are playing him the way they are. All of Jacksons talent was in his athleticism and mobility. He played as an extra midfielder for us. He looks slower than Tom McDonald with all the extra weight he's put on.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Jackson, it can be argued to an extent, won us the flag. His decimation of English was the key reason we got first hands and kicked something like 15 unanswered goals. To have someone do that when Gawn wasn’t playing well, I’d huge.

Has to play ruck. To call it a trade that’ll set them back 10 years is an absolute overreach. The kid is about 21-22. I’d be more concerned about the way Fremantle are going about their style. They are a literal nothing club whom have not achieved much at all.

Lots has to change, Jackson not their pressing issue.
10 years is probably hyperbole but for the price he came at it's certainly not going to help. And I agree that he needs to play number 1 ruck if he's going to be star player.

I've never agreed with this to a great extent. Only that the Dogs planned for Max Gawn and just didn't know how to deal with what Jackson was. He wasn't tapping it down our midfielders throats in those clearances, we just evened the contest and he had the agility to run with the rest of our mids. It wasn't like 2008 Stewie Dew or anything.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've never agreed with this to a great extent. Only that the Dogs planned for Max Gawn and just didn't know how to deal with what Jackson was. He wasn't tapping it down our midfielders throats in those clearances, we just evened the contest and he had the agility to run with the rest of our mids. It wasn't like 2008 Stewie Dew or anything.
He made English look like a fairy. Bullied him. Was huge.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I simply cannot remember a worse trade in recent times...

Collingwood trading Dayne Beams back in was pretty bad.

They gave up a two late first rounders for Beams and some late picks. He played 9 games, gave them a whole bunch of bad publicity, caused bikies to show up at Collingwood training to collect debts, allegedly stole money from teammates, and contributed heavily to a salary cap squeeze that led to them deciding to trade out Treloar and Stephenson.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Freo already had a dominant solo ruck in Darcy. Unlike Gawn, Darcy is useless playing forward or behind the ball whenever Jackson goes into the ruck, so it's hard to see how they make it work unless Jackson can learn to have an impact playing 85% of the game forward. Trying for a 50/50 or even 60/40 split is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Collingwood trading Dayne Beams back in was pretty bad.

They gave up a two late first rounders for Beams and some late picks. He played 9 games, gave them a whole bunch of bad publicity, caused bikies to show up at Collingwood training to collect debts, allegedly stole money from teammates, and contributed heavily to a salary cap squeeze that led to them deciding to trade out Treloar and Stephenson.

BE09B449-C447-400D-A373-175AC40903AE.png

Back