Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast - Sam Durham return inspires big win over the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Here it Is!!! Early Edition of The Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast. Let's sit down and chat the Dogs performance open and honestly

Ok Essendon...What's Up?

Essendon are in the Finals for 2019!!! We discuss on the Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast what this means for the upcoming Pies clash and how we were able to defeat Freo in Perth. Huge show!

It's Essendon 2019 Finals Edition of the Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast. Ronny Lerner joins us to talk Essendon 2019 and our approach to facing the Eagles in the 1st Elimination Final in Perth. Huge Show!!!!

Heath Hocking joins us on tonights Podcast & we discuss his career, Hird, Bomber, Sheeds, Dan Jordan, tagging, Dylan Clarke, VFL Final learnings & a surprise announcement to close the show. Don’t want to miss this. Honest and open chat #weloveHeath

The Solution from the much loved Windyhill Windsock show joins us on the Podcast to have an open chat about Essendon 2019, Woosha and the Elimination final. Heath Hocking also calls in as well to discuss the VFL huge win. This is a BIG show!!! No one held back!

Here it is!!! Our first ever call in Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast show. Fans called into the show to discuss their thoughts on Essendon 2019 and 2020 moving forward. We open the show also discussing Joe D and Raz situation.

Here it is!!! Our first ever call in Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast show. Fans called into the show to discuss their thoughts on Essendon 2019 and 2020 moving forward. We open the show also discussing Joe D and Raz situation.

Sounds like a great idea - what is the number to call?

Here it is!!! Popular US Sports Writer and Podcast Host Sam Vecenie joins the show to discuss his love of Essendon FC thanks to his Aussie partner and how he views Trade Week from afar. We also go through some trade scenerios that we think could play out. We close with some NBA talk. Sam's knowledge of Essendon and the AFL would rival any guest we have had on locally. This is not to be missed.

So I don’t usually actually listen to this podcast. I’ve tried a couple of times and it was.. like it was okay but not a priority lol.

But this episode is actually really interesting. I’m enjoying the American perspective. He’s sort of an outsider but not and a sports journalist who isn’t in the AFL bubble but speaking as a fan. Some of the ideas are interesting as well.

The one that’s a bit of a ‘der fred’ kind of moment is that the coaches are playing percentages across the offensive game plan:
Metres gained+frequent entries=bomb it long and goals will come.

That might work if we had marking targets in the forward line the way West Coast do, but without Daniher it’s just McKernan taking marks there and we end up planting it on Walla’s head a lot. Basically our midfield game plan is designed for a forward group that isn’t actually on the park and hasn’t been for a while.

Whereas we do actually have smart players that are capable of using the ball well but instead of teaching them to give themselves a moment to hit a target it’s just get it in the forward line ASAP. It means we’re seeing a lot of chaos ball and clangers and turn overs from players we know can do better.

I had thought that maybe they were feeling pressure and a bit rushed or lacking confidence, needing more shepherding from team mates or something and that’s why there were a lot of clangers and stuff, it also just comes with the territory in the midfield to some extent because it’s so contested and congested. There’s definitely a bit of that with team defence being a bit slack and we definitely miss Smith.

But if they’re being coached to produce metres gained and forward entries then of course there will be problems when there’s no one forward to give us the advantage there. The explanation that the American guy gave about that sounds pretty similar to some of the stuff the coaches say occasionally too.

Gotta say whoever keeps saying “Midfield Belle” “danihAr” and “akshee” is kind of irritating to listen to. Also “Jen-lee” for “generally”. 😒

The other one and I don’t think anyone on bigfooty has mentioned anything like it is that the promotion of VFL coaches as line coaches being a direct consequence of saga-related budget cuts. I think that’s pretty spot on and is probably not an area of the club you want experiencing austerity while you’re trying to build a list and teach a game plan.

Also interesting that as soon as we’ve recovered financially we’re immediately headhunting people and turning over staff, including in the medical and performance areas. Hopefully it’s not too little too late for some of the players.

Perspective of the American journo about the way the AFL media handled Raz leaving but not leaving after saying he’s not leaving and the club not even feeling the need to announce it either way. If he had written a story saying a player was a done deal in that context (and his job is to cover the draft in the NBA), his editor would have absolutely chewed him out.

After all the bluster from some quarters about how their sources were right and the story is real, etc. even the Americans know better than to write that story as a certainty. Ya flogs. Lol

So I don’t usually actually listen to this podcast. I’ve tried a couple of times and it was.. like it was okay but not a priority lol.

But this episode is actually really interesting. I’m enjoying the American perspective. He’s sort of an outsider but not and a sports journalist who isn’t in the AFL bubble but speaking as a fan. Some of the ideas are interesting as well.

The one that’s a bit of a ‘der fred’ kind of moment is that the coaches are playing percentages across the offensive game plan:
Metres gained+frequent entries=bomb it long and goals will come.

That might work if we had marking targets in the forward line the way West Coast do, but without Daniher it’s just McKernan taking marks there and we end up planting it on Walla’s head a lot. Basically our midfield game plan is designed for a forward group that isn’t actually on the park and hasn’t been for a while.

Whereas we do actually have smart players that are capable of using the ball well but instead of teaching them to give themselves a moment to hit a target it’s just get it in the forward line ASAP. It means we’re seeing a lot of chaos ball and clangers and turn overs from players we know can do better.

I had thought that maybe they were feeling pressure and a bit rushed or lacking confidence, needing more shepherding from team mates or something and that’s why there were a lot of clangers and stuff, it also just comes with the territory in the midfield to some extent because it’s so contested and congested. There’s definitely a bit of that with team defence being a bit slack and we definitely miss Smith.

But if they’re being coached to produce metres gained and forward entries then of course there will be problems when there’s no one forward to give us the advantage there. The explanation that the American guy gave about that sounds pretty similar to some of the stuff the coaches say occasionally too.

Gotta say whoever keeps saying “Midfield Belle” “danihAr” and “akshee” is kind of irritating to listen to. Also “Jen-lee” for “generally”. 😒

The other one and I don’t think anyone on bigfooty has mentioned anything like it is that the promotion of VFL coaches as line coaches being a direct consequence of saga-related budget cuts. I think that’s pretty spot on and is probably not an area of the club you want experiencing austerity while you’re trying to build a list and teach a game plan.

Also interesting that as soon as we’ve recovered financially we’re immediately headhunting people and turning over staff, including in the medical and performance areas. Hopefully it’s not too little too late for some of the players.

Perspective of the American journo about the way the AFL media handled Raz leaving but not leaving after saying he’s not leaving and the club not even feeling the need to announce it either way. If he had written a story saying a player was a done deal in that context (and his job is to cover the draft in the NBA), his editor would have absolutely chewed him out.

After all the bluster from some quarters about how their sources were right and the story is real, etc. even the Americans know better than to write that story as a certainty. Ya flogs. Lol
Except of course the American media have run plenty of stories similar to Raz.

Ie Durant was locked into the Knicks.

Except of course the American media have run plenty of stories similar to Raz.

Ie Durant was locked into the Knicks.
I can take the S off the end of Americans if you want. That particular American said he would have been chewed out for running a story as an absolute when there’s no public knowledge to ground it. Without it it’s just connecting the dots when you don’t have very many dots to work with. He acknowledged that they have sources and he does that himself, but it created a very weird situation and his editor would not have been happy. It seems his editor has standards.

Most of the Aussie journos have banded together as though their coverage is flawless and above scrutiny, nauseating as that is.

I can take the S off the end of Americans if you want. That particular American said he would have been chewed out for running a story as an absolute when there’s no public knowledge to ground it. Without it it’s just connecting the dots when you don’t have very many dots to work with. He acknowledged that they have sources and he does that himself, but it created a very weird situation and his editor would not have been happy. It seems his editor has standards.

Most of the Aussie journos have banded together as though their coverage is flawless and above scrutiny, nauseating as that is.
Sorry that last paragraph read as a comment on the American media as a whole. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was probably thinking of Fox News
I do love when confused Americans end up on the Fox Sports page abusing them over journalistic integrity.

Lets talk AFL Draft, Essendon 2020 and AGM feedback for our last 2019 show

Here it Is!! Our First Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast for 2020 is out. We discuss Pre Season training observations, who we think will step up and how the new players might fit in. We also discuss the new coaching setup. Good to be back talking EFC

Here it is!!! Neil and Scooter discuss on the Lunchtime Catch Up the win over the Cats and futher go into who may play round 1 on current form. We also discuss Tom Hird, USA game and lots lots more.

Here it is!!! One of our best ever shows. Paul Cousins (EFC VFL President) talks VFL competition suspension till May 31st. Johnny Elliott also shares his 14 year time at EFC as trainer/helper/runner. His thoughts on Sheeds, 93 team, Hird, Bomber, Evans & years with Dank/Weapon..no subject is off the table.

Here it is!!! Neil and Scooter review the Essendon 6 point win over Fremantle in detail on the Lunchtime Catch Up Podcast. We do a player by player analysis and what changes could happen for the Sydney clash next Friday

Here it is!!! Gary O' Donnell and Rohan Connolly Join us to discuss Essendon's Top 20 Players of the 90's. This episode we cover numbers 20-16.

This is not to be missed folks...Gary shares some great inside stories on each player. Link below

Here it is!!! Gary O'Donnell & Rohan Connolly joins us again for Part 2 of our top 20 x 90's players at Essendon. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel to get these videos first and for future live content we are planning to do. Audio Podcast will come out later today as well.

Here it is!!! Part 3 of our top 20 players at Essendon with Gary O'Donnell and Rohan Connolly. Getting closer to the big number one reveal. This episode covers players 10 to 6 in our countdown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back