Opinion The man that is Trump

Remove this Banner Ad

While I respect your healthy cynicism I think you are reading this wrong. For a start you give Trump and Putin way too much credit with your new foreign policy collusion conspiracy theory. The joint chiefs of staff have pushed this new approach to NK for a long time. Obama was unreceptive, Trump was not. So Some credit to Trump there.

US made definitive ultimatums and preparations that were known and correctly interpreted as genuine and not any kind of bluff. China informed NK there would be no help from them should the US launch an attack. The Russians informed them likewise. Firing missiles overJapan was a huge mistake from NK. The rearmament of Japan is now the real driving force behind China and Russia putting the pressure on NK. The threat of a remilitarized Japan on the doorsteps of China and Russia is behind this conference. The US has been leveraging on this.
Kim wants to save his life and his regime. He will have to fully denuclearize if he wants to do that. They already have missiles that can hit the US mainland so an agreement that merely halts further testing will not cut it. The US is determined to flex it's muscles here and show their enemies and skittish allies alike what they can still do.
Trump may well accept some compromise that will get him into a second term. Not sure a compromising here will get him there though if NK still have nukes capable of hitting LA.

Regardless of any short term compromise, longer term NK will have to denuclearize or there will be war.
No mention of the role South Korea has/is playing in this?

Too much credit is being given to Trump when both SK and China have been working on this meeting for some time.

Think I will wait and see what happens at the meeting. Long history of meetings being held with NK and US, agreements reached only for NK to break terms. Only difference being is that previous Presidents have sent senior representatives, this time Trump is going without any pre-conditions.

North Korea also dismissed suggestions international sanctions were the cause of improved ties in a commentary published by the country’s official Korean Central News Agency, instead saying diplomatic efforts were a sign of Pyongyang’s strength and confidence.
“The great change in the North-South relations is not an accidental one but a noble fruition made thanks to the DPRK’s proactive measure, warm compatriotism and will for defending peace,” the commentary said, referring to the North by its official name, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
“Such rubbish as ‘result of sanctions and pressure’ … spread by the hostile forces is just as meaningless as a dog barking at the moon.”
Tensions with North Korea have cooled dramatically since the beginning of the year and around the Winter Olympics held in the South.
Notably absent from the commentary was a direct reference to planned summits between the North Korean ruler, Kim Jong-un, and South Korea’s President Moon Jae-in in April, and a mooted meeting of Kim and Trump in May.
“The dialogue peace offensive of the DPRK is an expression of self-confidence as it has acquired everything it desires,” it said.
The commentary seems to come in response to pundits in the US, South Korea and Japan dissecting the reasons for cooling tensions, with some saying Trump’s “maximum pressure” campaign was bearing fruit.
“It is really an expression of small-mindedness for the riff-raffs to spoil the atmosphere and say this or that even before the parties concerned are given a chance to study the inner thoughts of the other side and are seated at a negotiating table,” it said.

No mention of the role South Korea has/is playing in this?

Too much credit is being given to Trump when both SK and China have been working on this meeting for some time.

Think I will wait and see what happens at the meeting. Long history of meetings being held with NK and US, agreements reached only for NK to break terms. Only difference being is that previous Presidents have sent senior representatives, this time Trump is going without any pre-conditions.
SK has no leverage in this so they get no credit from me for being a conduit/broker. China and Russia have forced this on Kim. Genuine US resolve to use force and a potential for a further rearmed Japan unless NK is dealt with are the catalysts.
The background leadup and the meeting of the two leaders face to face makes this a vastly different proposition to previous conferences. I expect a big outcome actually. My bold out on a limb prediction is that NK agrees to denuclearize, signs peace treaty, US withdraws military from South Korea, commits to no interference/ regime change, and removes all sanctions.
This would be a wonderful outcome for the world even if it does lead to a Trump second term. Don't you think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back