Media The Man. The Myth. The Legend. The sausageroll.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2009
On a boat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Southampton F.C., eAFL SUNS
Sausageroll Banner.png

Hello, and welcome to this tribute thread for a delicious, golden pastry-covered gun of our club and the wider Sweet F.A. – sausageroll.

I’m sure you all think you know sausageroll (puff pastry, egg, sausage mince, onion, carrot and the likes), but I’m not sure you know the REAL 400 game legend sausageroll.

Let’s take the chance to introduce you to this perpetually optimistic rookie.

The Man.png

sausageroll was first delivered fresh out of the oven and into the Sweet F.A. in Season 7, with a head full of hopes and dreams.

Starting at the now defunct Southern Sharks, he moved on to the Dragons when the teams merged. He quickly made a name for himself and emerged as far more than just a delicious savoury treat.

Here is an early example of his match thread posting (a preseason match in Season 7):

Very close finish. We were playing very well up until 3/4 time but the pressure from Furies' forwards and on-ballers in the last quarter caused plenty of turn overs from our guys and made it very difficult for us to get the ball into our forward line.

Good signs for us to be up by so much early on and there's still plenty of time for us to get our fitness levels up before the real season starts.:thumbsu:

Any idea when our new coach is going to be appointed? The sooner the better! I spent almost 3 quarters on the bench after kicking a goal in the first quarter. My fresh legs might have been what we needed in the midfield in the last quarter.:cool:

See you guys at training tomorrow.

It was a simpler time.

He earned All-SFA selections in seasons 9, 10 (along with a B&F for the Bombers) and 11, and captained the Bombers in seasons 10-11.

Sausageroll quickly gained a reputation for being a dynamic and witty poster, using a good combination of humour and edginess to cut through opponents in match threads. He has a perfectly well-balanced mouthfeel. Yes indeed.

Here’s what some current and former teammates and opponents have to say about the man himself…

Here’s to one of the league's true gentlemen. Thanks sausageroll for making my time in the Sweet FA enjoyable. You may not have won an EKA but you'll always be a Flathead winner to me

Snaggeriffic is a great team player, and knows the ebb and flow of banter better than most. I have really enjoyed playing with him since he joined Mt Buller, and hope he sticks around.

Always been a pleasure to post against and real treat to play with. A favourite around the league and for good reason. Congratulations

That nuffers was an injustice, sausage wasn't even a rookie and i was clearly better than everyone that season.

I’ve had the joy of competing with and against snags since 2007, and his consistency is what makes him probably my favourite poster in the history of Fantasy Footy. He takes everything in his stride and I’ve rarely if ever seen him make a distasteful or hurtful post. He has a sharp wit and a good nature and it’s been a privilege to have known him over the past 13 years.

There isn’t anyone who deserves to play a successful 400th more than snags does. He has ridden out the trials and tribulations as the SFA’s eternal rookie.

His easygoing nature and his joking side are probably best summarised by the laughs he provided in Season 19, when he was interviewed by This Is Anfield as part of a “Meet the Rookies” expose, in which he did his EKA chances both then and forever no harm. The best element of the thread was definitely that sausageroll was stirring the pot while simultaneously answering the questions honestly, recounting details of his career to that point while writing in such a way that the poor author of the article had no inkling that perhaps there had been some shortcomings in his research.

Congratulations sausageroll on your awesome career thus far. You oughta know how much we all appreciate you.

sausageroll has been one of my favourite posters for a very long time. With an ability to be polite but cutting, snags hits a good balance. The league is a lot better for having sausageroll around.

Condolences on your 400th game, and all the best for the next 400.

400 big ones. It seems like just yesterday you were vying for the EKA in all your glory! Congrats rook!

Congratulations to sausageroll on playing 400 games. I remember playing alongside sausageroll for a few seasons at the Dragons quite a while ago now after the merger that took place between the Dragons and the Southern Sharks, things were a lot different back then to how they are now but sausageroll was one still one of the club's good contributors back then. Ever since that period, sausageroll has been a constant in the SFA, having played at five clubs and now finds himself at the Demons where he recently racked up 100 games.

Over that time, sausageroll has always been a solid contributor, both on and off the field and has always been one of the more wittier posters going around. He is certainly an asset to any club's playing list and thoroughly deserves any plaudits coming his way.

Sausageroll will be the 10th player to play 400 games, a feat not many have achieved in this competition and it is certainly one he can be very much proud of. Congratulations to sausageroll on playing 400 games and I'm sure there will be some more to follow in the near future.

Ljp.

In all seriousness you’re my favourite 400+ game gatherer.
I was hesitant when Tigs told me you were coming across with Tarks but I grew to love you, it wasn’t easy.
Hopefully you’ll stick around for a few hundred more.

Also sorry about that rookie win, but that’s how it works at the Furies

Sausageroll is one of MBD’s best, and best loved posters. It’s truly a pleasure to have Sausageroll and his beautiful pug in the leadership group. The ‘roll is an example to us all - he plays hard but fair, is always entertaining in match threads and embodies the spirit of the competition. Well done on making it to 400 Chief!

View attachment 853660

The Myth.png
Nearly 23 complete seasons and almost 400 games into his career, sausageroll is still hunting for that elusive EKA Medal. It’s been one of the longest and most famous campaigns in Sweet F.A. history, but where did his quest for rookie recognition begin?

The big fella had been in the league for a while (around 12 seasons and 200 games, in fact), and in that time had managed to win a flag and make three consecutive all-SFA teams.

Then, in season 19, this happened:

. MEET THE ROOKIES

Inside Qooty is proud to present the S19 return of "Meet The Rookies", a series of interviews designed to introduce different rookies to the wider
world of the SFA. Last season I interviewed one rookie from the Furies opposition but with so many new faces this season we have three Bandit rookies for you this week.
All three impressed in the match thread and should have long careers, a warm welcome to sausage roll, van peebles and cammo6556.

TIA: Gentlemen, easy one first up, how did you find your way to Baghdad and your first impressions of the SFA?

sr: Firstly, thanks for identifying me as a candidate for your "Meet The Rookies" interview. Hopefully this will provide a bit of fun for some of the more experienced players in the league :)
I originally had an interest in The Dragons but Loopy approached me to play for Baghdad and after a while our shared AFL loyalties won me over.
SFA is better than a league I played in previously (on a different site) but it'll take a hell of a lot for it to be more awesome than playing for The Thunder.

vp: Was invited by a chick with promises of beer and BBQ's=she lied just to get me into the team.

c6556: I was lured into a car with a large packet of Toobs and a 6-pack of West Coast Coolers, I don't remember much after that.Loving the SFA life so far... I'm getting so much action AND I've just booked in for my neck tattoo...

TIA: Have you guys ventured into the media threads at all and if so, who has impressed you as a poster and which threads did you like/dislike?

sr: The media section can be a bit hit and miss. The podcast is pretty well done. Some of the ratings threads are good too. I hope that one day I might even appear in one or two. It is a dream I have.

vp: Havent ventured into media threads as yet. Was waiting until 6 goal performance would make the entry all the easier.

c6556: Like any great weekend warrior, I'm only interested in myself.

TIA: Further to that, do you feel that you will get involved with media pieces yourselves?

sr: Maybe one day I'll become captain of Baghdad and I'll get to brag about some of the awesome signings I'll bring to the club. Then I might make a thread claiming that the State of Origin competition should be replaced by a Baghdad v Hawks match because anyone not in those teams will pretty much irrelevant at that stage. I have big plans for this competition! It'll probably all fall apart by the time finals roll around though.

vp: Definitely will get involved in the media in the near future,probably after injury interrupts my career and forces me to chase money elsewhere.

c6556: Sure, if they're run by A Current Affair. It'll be great for my little side-earner business. I'm a trusted financial advisor to the elderly. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

TIA: Bengwatkins, egotistical tyrant, fearless, inspirational leader or something in between?

sr: A bit of everything. He's great. From what I've seen so far in my very short career he's one of the most dedicated players in the league and an inspiration at Baghdad. But Why didn't you ask me about our leader... Shermy?
But seriously, I hope we can be as good under Beng as I hear the club was under the captaincy of beez. I hear he's got the second best premiership-points-to-matches ratio in the club's history.

vp: Beng is a leader of great value for the team and rookies, I have wonderful memories during pre=season of beng running up and down sand dunes,{in a Toyota]

c6556: He keeps liking my post... so I'd say a man of undoubtable taste.

TIA: Apart from the SFA, where on BF can your finest work be seen?

sr: AFL Team Manager league. I'm a long term coach of the Gold Coast Devils. My finest work hasn't produced a premiership though. A few SFA players are coaches there.

vp: Most of my finest work would be on conspiracies board.

c6556: The "Describe the most irritating person you know" thread... Although I can only take credit for putting the piece together, not for the inspiration.

TIA: Finally, describe for our readers how you perceive your posting style/persona to be? What can the SFA expect?

sr: A bit of everything if I stay active. A bit of nothing if I don't

vp: My style of posting is best described as honest, straight forward and respectful, much the same as my playing style.

c6556: Heavily influenced by a range of intoxicants.

Three guys with the requisite egos and attitude to go far in this league, well done to the Bandits for luring them to Baghdad.
Thanks guys for your time.

This inspired sausageroll to begin an earnest quest for a highly sought-after EKA Medal, and has confined him to being a rookie for as long as it takes for him to break the EKA curse.

Winning the Furies’ rookie of the year award (the Nuffers medal) in Season 21 was at least something, but his thirst for league-wide rookie recognition continues unslaked.

Nuffers Award
BEST ROOKIES

Sterge, _Cayz_ and sausageroll

9QpT1fu.jpg

The Legend.png

It has been a long and illustrious career for the great sausageroll, made even more remarkable by his having to contend with continued and ongoing threats of people dousing him in ‘sauce’ and/or eating him.

He’s been in the league for a significant part of his life (he had to step down as Bombers’ captain when he first joined the RAAF), and we thank him for sharing part of himself with us.

Let’s see what he’s achieved so far (thanks to Hate for the numbers)…

GMS
399​
Clubs
SHA (25), SDR (40),
FUR (54),
DEM (100), BOM (180)​
HO
104​
K
2890​
M
950​
HB
2564​
T
903​
FF
500​
FA
428​
G
350​
B
234​
D
5454​
DT
21941​
MM
32/17​
W/D/L
214-3-182​

Debut: Season 07, Round 01 - East Side Hawks vs. (Southern Sharks)

x2 Premiership Player (S14, S26)
x4 All-SFA Selections (S09-11, S24)
Best Rookie Ever
Baghdad Bombers Captain (S10-11)
Baghdad Bombers Best & Fairest (S10)

Highest DreamTeam: 173 DT - Season 08, Round 01 - Mount Buller Demons vs. (Dragons FFC)
100+ DreamTeam: x27 occasions
Highest Disposals: 37 Disposals - Season 08, Round 01 - Mount Buller Demons vs. (Dragons FFC)
20+ Disposals: x88 occasions
Highest Goals: 7 Goals, 2 Behinds - Season 14, Round 16 - (Baghdad Bombers) vs. Roys FFC
5+ Goals: x5 occasions
Highest Tackles: 12 Tackles - x 5 occasions
Highest Hitouts: 25 HO - Season 25, Round 10 - Gold City Royals vs. (Mount Buller Demons)

//////////​

On a personal note, sausageroll is one of the reasons I decided to join the Demons in the first place, and he’s been a sensational and loyal clubman and LG member ever since. He’s well and truly part of the Mt. Buller furniture and we just love having him around.

It goes without saying he's also very popular among the Snow Bunnies and at parties in general.

Well done snags on this incredible and rare achievement – get around him everyone!

View attachment 854297

Hello, and welcome to this tribute thread for a delicious, golden-pastry covered gun of our club and the wider Sweet F.A. – sausageroll.

I’m sure you all think you know sausageroll (puff pastry, egg, sausage mince, onion, carrot and the likes), but I’m not sure you know the REAL 400 game legend sausageroll.

View attachment 854298

sausageroll was first delivered fresh out of the oven and into the Sweet F.A. in Season 7, with a head full of hopes and dreams.

Starting at the now defunct Southern Sharks, he moved on to the Dragons when the teams merged. He quickly made a name for himself and emerged as far more than just a delicious savoury treat.

Here is an early example of his match thread posting (a preseason match in Season 7):

It was a simpler time.

He earned All-SFA selections in seasons 9, 10 (along with a B&F for the Bombers) and 11, and captained the Bombers in seasons 10-11.

Sausageroll quickly gained a reputation for being a dynamic and witty poster, using a good combination of humour and edginess to cut through opponents in match threads. He has a perfectly well-balanced mouthfeel. Yes indeed.

Here’s what some current and former teammates and opponents have to say about the man himself…

Nearly 23 complete seasons and almost 400 games into his career, sausageroll is still hunting for that elusive EKA Medal. It’s been one of the longest and most famous campaigns in Sweet F.A. history, but where did his quest for rookie recognition begin?

The big fella had been in the league for a while (around 12 seasons and 200 games, in fact), and in that time had managed to win a flag and make three consecutive all-SFA teams.

This inspired sausageroll to begin an earnest quest for a highly sought-after EKA Medal, and has confined him to being a rookie for as long as it takes for him to break the EKA curse.

Winning the Furies’ rookie of the year award (the Nuffers medal) in Season 21 was at least something, but his thirst for league-wide rookie recognition continues unslaked.

It has been a long and illustrious career for the great sausageroll, made even more remarkable by his having to contend with continued and ongoing threats of people dousing him in ‘sauce’ and/or eating him.

He’s been in the league for a significant part of his life (he had to step down as Bombers’ captain when he first joined the RAAF), and we thank him for sharing part of himself with us.

GMS
399​
Clubs
SHA (25), SDR (40),
FUR (54),
DEM (100), BOM (180)​
HO
104​
K
2890​
M
950​
HB
2564​
T
903​
FF
500​
FA
428​
G
350​
B
234​
D
5454​
DT
21941​
MM
32/17​
W/D/L
214-3-182​

Best Rookie Ever

Highest DreamTeam: 173 DT - Season 08, Round 01 - Mount Buller Demons vs. (Dragons FFC)
Highest Disposals: 37 Disposals - Season 08, Round 01 - Mount Buller Demons vs. (Dragons FFC)
Highest Goals: 7 Goals, 2 Behinds - Season 14, Round 16 - (Baghdad Bombers) vs. Roys FFC
Highest Hitouts: 25 HO - Season 25, Round 10 - Gold City Royals vs. (Mount Buller Demons)

//////////

On a personal note, sausageroll is one of the reasons I decided to join the Demons in the first place, and he’s been a sensational and loyal clubman and LG member ever since. He’s well and truly part of the Mt. Buller furniture and we just love having him around.

It goes without saying he's also very popular among the Snow Bunnies and at parties in general.

Well done snags on this incredible and rare achievement – get around him everyone!
Great media. manangatang

Congrats sausage, brilliant career.

View attachment 854297

Hello, and welcome to this tribute thread for a delicious, golden-pastry covered gun of our club and the wider Sweet F.A. – sausageroll.

View attachment 854298

It was a simpler time.

GMS
399​
Clubs
SHA (25), SDR (40),
FUR (54),
DEM (100), BOM (180)​
HO
104​
K
2890​
M
950​
HB
2564​
T
903​
FF
500​
FA
428​
G
350​
B
234​
D
5454​
DT
21941​
MM
32/17​
W/D/L
214-3-182​

Best Rookie Ever

//////////

What an absolute legend.

Great write up mang.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to a storied Bomber :thumbsu:

View attachment 854297

View attachment 854298

It was a simpler time.

GMS
399​
Clubs
SHA (25), SDR (40),
FUR (54),
DEM (100), BOM (180)​
HO
104​
K
2890​
M
950​
HB
2564​
T
903​
FF
500​
FA
428​
G
350​
B
234​
D
5454​
DT
21941​
MM
32/17​
W/D/L
214-3-182​

Best Rookie Ever

//////////

Wow! Incredible write-up an comments! Thanks mang, and to all ohers who've commented.

Now back off. I've got social distancing to maintain :)

sausageroll . I prefer a good Meat Pie... But still I'd eat you whole.
Mixed meaty goodness in pastry, you captivate my soul.

I have some sauce, I'll make you taste better. It starts with T but who cares about 1 letter.
Get in my mouth you filthy slag, you know you outta, nay you better!

400 games - FFS get a life!!!
Seriously though...Well done, that's ******* insane!!

Love AE

Last edited:
Mr Roll is less likely to scoff than be scoffed as a delicious treat.

In addition to the ingredients provided by manangatang Mr Roll's posts have the sweet herbs of character and the heady spice of wit. His serves are always generous.

Have a bonzer 400th sausageroll

Bake on!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back