The Manager Merry-go-Round

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why smartly?

He's on a sure thing at Celtic and would be shown to be well out of his depths again aka Liverpool.

My personal opinion is I don't rate him at all as a manager and neither do a lot of Arsenal fans, if he comes to Arsenal he'll be turned on faster than he can blink if we aren't competitive.

He's on a sure thing at Celtic and would be shown to be well out of his depths again aka Liverpool.

My personal opinion is I don't rate him at all as a manager and neither do a lot of Arsenal fans, if he comes to Arsenal he'll be turned on faster than he can blink if we aren't competitive.

Brendan Rodgers: "Well out of his depth in the PL"

Also Brendan Rodgers: If not for a Stevie G slip may well have won a title.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rodgers undoing, like Dalglish before him, was the purchase of players like Balotelli & Benteke that clearly didn't fit his preferred system and style of play and struggled to gel with the rest of the side. Whether that was solely the manager's fault, the fault of the transfer committee, or a combination of the two is for debate. However, with the right players at their disposal absolutely no doubt that both of those guys were/are excellent coaches.

See Liverpool under Klopp. Clear strategy on field supported by a clear strategy off field. Everyone is on the same page and there's a clear trend in the types of players we're buying which is now starting to pay dividends.

Similarly, you don't see Guardiola putting the cart before the horse by sanctioning purchases for 6'5 lumbering target men, or centre backs that can't pass, and adapting his style of play to suit.

With the right off field support and hopefully lessons learnt from those transfer failures at Liverpool I think Rodgers would do well at Arsenal, but there are a few quality coaches out there that Arsenal could pursue. Will be interesting to see where they land.

Brendan Rodgers: "Well out of his depth in the PL"

Also Brendan Rodgers: If not for a Stevie G slip may well have won a title.

Finished 7th, 2nd, 6th, and were 10th with (one win in nine games when sacked) in his 4 seasons at Liverpool.

Suarez molesting the league was the only reason they got within a Stevie G slip of the title.

Rodgers got a few transfers right - Coutinho and ummmmm......Coutinho?

also spend the better part of £300m on players like Origi, Lovren, Markovic, Balotelli, Sakho, Mignolet, Benteke, Borini, Allen, Lallana, Aspas, Alberto, Moreno etc

Rodgers undoing, like Dalglish before him, was the purchase of players like Balotelli & Benteke that clearly didn't fit his preferred system and style of play and struggled to gel with the rest of the side. Whether that was solely the manager's fault, the fault of the transfer committee, or a combination of the two is for debate. However, with the right players at their disposal absolutely no doubt that both of those guys were/are excellent coaches.

See Liverpool under Klopp. Clear strategy on field supported by a clear strategy off field. Everyone is on the same page and there's a clear trend in the types of players we're buying which is now starting to pay dividends.

Similarly, you don't see Guardiola putting the cart before the horse by sanctioning purchases for 6'5 lumbering target men, or centre backs that can't pass, and adapting his style of play to suit.

With the right off field support and hopefully lessons learnt from those transfer failures at Liverpool I think Rodgers would do well at Arsenal, but there are a few quality coaches out there that Arsenal could pursue. Will be interesting to see where they land.

Based on what?

His managerial record is bog average - 41% WR Watford, 26% Reading, 44% Swansea, 50% Liverpool. There's nothing that suggests he was an excellent coach, rather that he lucked into Suarez at the right time and place.

Yeah nah, he can find his redemption somewhere else thanks.

Brodg is probs the most overrated manager I've seen.
Tactically inept as shown with Celtic in UCL as was with LFC.

IMO he isn't seriously being considered for arse will probs be Enrique or the Monaco coach.

That transfer committee ****ed Rodgers over big time. Balotelli wasn't a signing he wanted and I doubt Benteke was either, Bertrand was always his number 1 over Moreno, he tried big time for Sanchez to replace Suarez (London) and Mhiki, Willian and Diego Costa before they became household names were players he wanted before going somewhere else or staying put.

His record at developing attacking players and youth players has always been great (Allen, Davies, Tierney, Sterling, Hendry, Sinclair pre-Man City, Dembele). Let's not forget Coutinho and Sturridge playing some of their most consistent football under him as well and he even turned Hendo around when most people wrote him off.

Sturridge, Clyne, Can, Firmino, and Milner are players he identified and signed with only one of them being a proven commodity.

also spend the better part of £300m on players like Origi, Lovren, Markovic, Balotelli, Sakho, Mignolet, Benteke, Borini, Allen, Lallana, Aspas, Alberto, Moreno etc

Markovic, Borini and Benteke are undoubtedly s**t but Benteke wasn't even a Rodgers signing (neither was Balo). Origi is still young and can become something and even then he was decent without being great at Pool. Sakho is a good defender he just fell out with Klopp. People at PSG still think it was a mistake letting him go. Mignolet was certainly serviceable under Rodgers most of the time. Aspas and Alberto didn't kick on at Pool but they're shoe-ins to play for Spain at the WC and Aspas barring injury will start for them so it's not like he signed s**t trucks. Lallana has been fine when he's not injured so I don't know why he's here. Like I said before regarding Moreno, he wanted Bertrand first and Allen was always going to struggle when it was obvious he should've stayed at Swansea for another year or two.

His managerial record is bog average - 41% WR Watford, 26% Reading, 44% Swansea, 50% Liverpool. There's nothing that suggests he was an excellent coach, rather that he lucked into Suarez at the right time and place.

Taking a bang average Swansea side from the Championship to mid table safety in the PL whilst playing some of the best football in England isn't any good? His Celtic side going unbeaten for the whole of last season domestically (and give me something other than hurdur scotland). Did you watch Celtic against Man City last season or against Bayern in this one? They were excellent across all 4 games. This narrative that Rodgers is a s**t manager is one that's just filled with ignorance.

That transfer committee ****** Rodgers over big time. Balotelli wasn't a signing he wanted and I doubt Benteke was either, Bertrand was always his number 1 over Moreno, he tried big time for Sanchez to replace Suarez (London) and Mhiki, Willian and Diego Costa before they became household names were players he wanted before going somewhere else or staying put.

His record at developing attacking players and youth players has always been great (Allen, Davies, Tierney, Sterling, Hendry, Sinclair pre-Man City, Dembele). Let's not forget Coutinho and Sturridge playing some of their most consistent football under him as well and he even turned Hendo around when most people wrote him off.

Sturridge, Clyne, Can, Firmino, and Milner are players he identified and signed with only one of them being a proven commodity.

Markovic, Borini and Benteke are undoubtedly s**t but Benteke wasn't even a Rodgers signing (neither was Balo). Origi is still young and can become something and even then he was decent without being great at Pool. Sakho is a good defender he just fell out with Klopp. People at PSG still think it was a mistake letting him go. Mignolet was certainly serviceable under Rodgers most of the time. Aspas and Alberto didn't kick on at Pool but they're shoe-ins to play for Spain at the WC and Aspas barring injury will start for them so it's not like he signed s**t trucks. Lallana has been fine when he's not injured so I don't know why he's here. Like I said before regarding Moreno, he wanted Bertrand first and Allen was always going to struggle when it was obvious he should've stayed at Swansea for another year or two.

Taking a bang average Swansea side from the Championship to mid table safety in the PL whilst playing some of the best football in England isn't any good? His Celtic side going unbeaten for the whole of last season domestically (and give me something other than hurdur scotland). Did you watch Celtic against Man City last season or against Bayern in this one? They were excellent across all 4 games. This narrative that Rodgers is a s**t manager is one that's just filled with ignorance.

Markovic isn't even that bad lol, ridiculously talented player but cut from the same cloth as Ben Arfa.

Finished 7th, 2nd, 6th, and were 10th with (one win in nine games when sacked) in his 4 seasons at Liverpool.

Suarez molesting the league was the only reason they got within a Stevie G slip of the title.

Based on what?

Yeah nah, he can find his redemption somewhere else thanks.

This one's been done to death, but Suarez 'molested' the league in 2012/13 too, and we finished 7th with 61 points. So you're saying that the the extra 23 points we accrued in 2013/14 are entirely attributable to Suarez scoring an extra 7 goals? It's a pretty simplistic argument.

And his win % at Swansea and Reading (without any context) as evidence of his managerial ability? Really? About as relevant as his 71% winning rate at Celtic.

Thank you for this window into the meltdowns to come when you do sign him. I'll be subscribing to that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back